I've packed up smoking | Page 39 | Vital Football

I've packed up smoking

I actually think Brexit will make that worse really and I'm someone who moved to roll ups over the cost.

My ex used to have loads of hand-rolling tobacco and I mean loads about 2 years supply all brought in from people via holiday trips. She used to have a machine and a buy the cigarette tubes, Sit there rolling 50 at a time, the more she rolled the more she smoked. She has COPD now and has about 2/3 years to live so she says.
Don't do it Mike just jack it in

Ha damn it! You got their first lol

Surprised me, I was just in our local shop and overheard someone ask for 20 X, and Dev said they were packs of 18 now and then I caught the price which was £9 something, but it was a cheaper brand so I'm just assuming the likes of Benson & Hedges would now be well over a tenner.

If there wasn't still money in it they wouldn't make them, but last I looked the big boys are moving into Vape world and nicotine replacements, so the profit must be dropping - but not enough yet to close the doors.

Daftly dad did the same with me with a fag (as his dad did with him), but we both then still took it up years later. Massive mistake but I guess doing that with a cigar would have a more profound effect as I can't smoke them even as a smoker lol
Someone told me now that are over £12 for a packet of twenty.

My ex used to have loads of hand-rolling tobacco and I mean loads about 2 years supply all brought in from people via holiday trips. She used to have a machine and a buy the cigarette tubes, Sit there rolling 50 at a time, the more she rolled the more she smoked. She has COPD now and has about 2/3 years to live so she says.
Don't do it Mike just jack it in

Was going to answer Astonion's post until I saw this. No machines, hand roll so I have the time annoyance and I smoke less when they are rolled as opposed to trying to only roll when I want one.

I found with myself not being 'out' was easier to cope with when trying to quit as it removed that stupid 'I can't have one' thought in my head. Knowing there were plenty there it changed to 'I can, but I don't want to'. My best attempt was about 3/4 days but we hit the old folks, they didn't know we'd both quit and we both gave in.

We're both adamant we are doing it this year and we're going to tie it into the old man giving it a go as well so nobody throws the other off this time.

Was going to answer Astonion's post until I saw this. No machines, hand roll so I have the time annoyance and I smoke less when they are rolled as opposed to trying to only roll when I want one.

I found with myself not being 'out' was easier to cope with when trying to quit as it removed that stupid 'I can't have one' thought in my head. Knowing there were plenty there it changed to 'I can, but I don't want to'. My best attempt was about 3/4 days but we hit the old folks, they didn't know we'd both quit and we both gave in.

We're both adamant we are doing it this year and we're going to tie it into the old man giving it a go as well so nobody throws the other off this time.

My ex Mrs went 2 weeks or more using hypnosis, and every day she would say I've been another day can I have a fag now, I thought FFS you don't smoke now but she gave i.

She was in Russells Hall hospital for two weeks in the ward above my daughter in law who was having our first grandchild, she couldn't get out of bed to smoke and when she came home my Daughter in Law said she wouldn't be bringing the baby around if she smoked. She stopped as I said just like that, (went all Tommy cooper then)

My ex Mrs went 2 weeks or more using hypnosis, and every day she would say I've been another day can I have a fag now, I thought FFS you don't smoke now but she gave i.

She was in Russells Hall hospital for two weeks in the ward above my daughter in law who was having our first grandchild, she couldn't get out of bed to smoke and when she came home my Daughter in Law said she wouldn't be bringing the baby around if she smoked. She stopped as I said just like that, (went all Tommy cooper then)

Lol on hypnosis, my old folks did that when I was a kid. Went weeks then pawned me off to one of the grandparents so they could have a night out and celebrate the money they'd saved. Went to the cinema, full of smokers, didn't last the night!

The smoking ban has been brilliant on that front in terms of helping change.

But yeah, even as a joke, can I have one now is the wrong mindset for me.

For what they are and the damage, that's criminal. Last time I bought a pack of 20 they were just over £4.

I switched to rolling tobacco around 15 years ago, you can only buy 30g pouches now because they changed the law and they cost €18.

Pack of 20 fags is now €14.

Fuck my health, it's my wallet I should be thinking about.

Seems like another world now.
Smoking in pubs, bars, night clubs and other enclosed public places.
I’m old enough to remember being on an aeroplane with people smoking. Wtf was that all about. A pressurised metal tube 35,000 feet in the air.

Smoking in bars and clubs was legal when I turned 18, though wasn’t long before it was banned. Anyway, I remember being a fresher where you’d go out on Monday, then maybe Tuesday, definitely Wednesday, sometimes Thursday and always Friday... wearing the same pair of jeans. That used to fucking stink after night one!

Although extra legislation or declining trends are a major hinderance, over time all you do is keep putting the price up.

Say 50% of people smoke and the industry is worth £500m, in a situation where only 25% smoke the successful company who rides the waves will still make £500m - they’ll just charge double the price where smoking, drinking, eating high sugar foods or drinks, just becomes more premium.

Someone was also saying to me recently, the ban on smoking advertising and on shops not being able to display cigarettes, also makes it very hard for new players to come into the market. So they’ve got no new competition, because new companies can’t advertise.