I've packed up smoking | Page 38 | Vital Football

I've packed up smoking

Just read in the Holland & Barrett health mag... stunning this really.

In 1948 82% of men smoked. By 1974 it was 26% ... Now it is 15.9% .. women 12.5%

I would imagine with the youngsters being so risk adverse in life, this will become even lower.... fingers crossed.

Inspired by Jonah :1: I thank you Sir I have also joined the massed ranks of people who would like to give up smoking.

I started this morning at 06:30 and as my mentor say's "The first two hours are worst"

Those two hours have nearly passed and I aint climbing the walls yet :9:

I would like to publicly thank Jonah and congratulate him on his success as a quitter.

QUOTE FROM

May 23rd 2008 Jonah showed me its hard but you can quit after 40 years smoking, I hope he is in heaven looking down on us and taking the piss.

In 1948 82% of men smoked. By 1974 it was 26% ... Now it is 15.9% .. women 12.5%

I would imagine with the youngsters being so risk adverse in life, this will become even lower.... fingers crossed.
If ever I saw one of my grandkids with a ciggy I would go fucking apeshit.

You’d hope so, but when the figures get low e.g. 10%, it becomes cool to be in the minority so it’ll probably hit a level and the fluctuate.

Always amazes me how many people are social smokers. Never ever understood that one. Stick a load of smoke down your chest when you’re out because it goes with a beer? Even though you don’t enjoy it enough to do it every day?

Makes you wonder where the profit is in such a niche market.

Makes you wonder where the profit is in such a niche market.

Still a billion dollar industry isn't it - not seen proper figures for years but a normal fag packet has now dropped to 18 I think and is about a tenner. So £3/4 tax & outlet cut but pennies to produce them still I imagine.

To be honest if they were serious they'd force the companies to cut the substances strengths by 5% each year and naturally help wean people off whilst shrinking the level of the harmful and addictive crap.

I can only speak for myself, but constantly hiking the taxes to make price the issue has never been enough to help get me over the line.

Having seen my Grandad spend the last 15 years of his life crippled by a stroke caused by Smoking I have never smoked. I have tremendous willpower nothing could ever get me to smoke.
People, who smoke these days must feel like lepers surely?

Starting from the spot of not being addicted 57 you do have a slight advantage lol
My Other Grandad smoked 60 a day as they all did, Doc told him he would be dead in 10 years, so he just stopped. My ex used to smoke 30 a day or more hence my bad breathing, when our first Grandchild arrived she stopped dead just like that and she had half-heartedly tried for many years to stop.
I guess you have to have a reason to stop, as most people who smoke enjoy it or seem to, they might say they want to give up but I don't think many do despite the financial and health benefits. It has to be something that triggers you to stop.
Like not seeing your Grandchildren or having a stroke that means you can't get to buy any.
Hopefully, Brexit will help stop the illegal fag runs that most smokers seem to rely on, not many seem to buy full price fags these days

Still a billion dollar industry isn't it - not seen proper figures for years but a normal fag packet has now dropped to 18 I think and is about a tenner. So £3/4 tax & outlet cut but pennies to produce them still I imagine.

To be honest if they were serious they'd force the companies to cut the substances strengths by 5% each year and naturally help wean people off whilst shrinking the level of the harmful and addictive crap.

I can only speak for myself, but constantly hiking the taxes to make price the issue has never been enough to help get me over the line.
I speak from a point of total ignorance ( no smart remarks please Mr Field) as I have never smoked and have no idea of the price of a pack of fags.
Back in the day they must have earned a fortune for the tobacco company owners.
Dad gave me a suck on a big cigar at Christmas when I was about ten, and made me choke, one of the best things he ever did.

My Other Grandad smoked 60 a day as they all did, Doc told him he would be dead in 10 years, so he just stopped. My ex used to smoke 30 a day or more hence my bad breathing, when our first Grandchild arrived she stopped dead just like that and she had half-heartedly tried for many years to stop.
I guess you have to have a reason to stop, as most people who smoke enjoy it or seem to, they might say they want to give up but I don't think many do despite the financial and health benefits. It has to be something that triggers you to stop.
Like not seeing your Grandchildren or having a stroke that means you can't get to buy any.
Hopefully, Brexit will help stop the illegal fag runs that most smokers seem to rely on, not many seem to buy full price fags these days

Wish I could cut it like that, but I've never been able to - whatever the motivation, kids, money whatever. Think my problem - as you say - is I don't really have a real reason to quit other than wanting to (if that makes sense) and I do still enjoy it.

Having cut down, I'm also at the point where I don't even second guess putting a fag out if I'm not enjoying it. I'll just relight it 30mins/1hr later and put it out again if not enjoying it and I can go hours without one. But at other points, as above, when concentrating I slip into chain smoking one after the other without realising really.

I actually think Brexit will make that worse really and I'm someone who moved to roll ups over the cost.

I speak from a point of total ignorance ( no smart remarks please Mr Field) as I have never smoked and have no idea of the price of a pack of fags.
Back in the day they must have earned a fortune for the tobacco company owners.
Dad gave me a suck on a big cigar at Christmas when I was about ten, and made me choke, one of the best things he ever did.

Ha damn it! You got their first lol

Surprised me, I was just in our local shop and overheard someone ask for 20 X, and Dev said they were packs of 18 now and then I caught the price which was £9 something, but it was a cheaper brand so I'm just assuming the likes of Benson & Hedges would now be well over a tenner.

If there wasn't still money in it they wouldn't make them, but last I looked the big boys are moving into Vape world and nicotine replacements, so the profit must be dropping - but not enough yet to close the doors.

Daftly dad did the same with me with a fag (as his dad did with him), but we both then still took it up years later. Massive mistake but I guess doing that with a cigar would have a more profound effect as I can't smoke them even as a smoker lol

I use to smoke between 30 - 40 a day. When I started struggling for breath just walking to the pub I realised I had a problem. Back then I would buy a pack of 200 and I had about 160 in the house. When I decided to stop I told myself when they have all gone I would stop. I then said to myself if you are serious you will stop now. They was 23 years ago. As hard as it was I managed to do it, how I dont know how, just found the will power from somewhere.