I've packed up smoking | Page 2 | Vital Football

I've packed up smoking

Another really helpful bit if Beefy advice is that my sister was recently put on tablets - but again, I can't recall the name - via the NHS to help her stop smoking but all it did was give her horrendous nightmares about her time out in Iraq. She had no choice but to start smoking again as she wasn't getting any kip due to the nightmares.

If you've been in a similar scenario as she has at some stage in your life, then any tablets may well bring those memories to the fore. Imagine waking up in a cold sweat dreaming of the time you met Skeggy????

It's Allen Carr's book called "Easy way to stop smoking"

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/861425/Allen-Carr-Easy-Way-to-Stop-Smoking/Product.html

Beefy, VTID: I have heard of that book thanks. I really don't think I will need it though.

I have been using these inhalers for a few months now for situations where I can't smoke, planes, villa park etc and I found they work for me.

I don't feel the overwhelming 'gawd I need a fag' pangs that you usually get when you are trying to quit, but when I do get an urge to smoke I just puff on the inhaler for a bit and I'm fine.

Anybody else out there who is/has tried to quit and can't I recommend you give the inhaler a go. I have tried patches, hypnotism and all sorts of other shit in the past with no success but I reckon I will do it this time round with them.

Jonah :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: bloody difficult, more addictive than heroin apparently, If I wore a hat I would take it off to you. :14: well done chap. :35:

Good luck to you Jonah--I quit smoking on July 13, 2000 and it was one of the best things I've ever done. I still miss it and like to occasionally hold an unlit smokey treat and pantomime inhaling, but I always keep in mind that one hit off of one cigarette will make me a smoker again.

The thing that's kept me from restarting is how repulsive stale cigarette smoke smells to me now. It makes me queasy and I now find it to be one of the most repulsive smells in the world. Bleech. :38:

Jonah, I gave up about 18 months ago and I too was a 20 a day man. I went to the NHS clinic every week for the first month or so, and the great thing was you have to blow into this machine that can tell if you've been cheating, so you always want it to register a low number. My first go was 46, two weeks after giving up it was 3. I had the microtabs for under your tongue, then i went onto the gum (which i became addicted to for a bit). Now I dont even crave one or want one...even though my missus still smokes away in the house

I went from being a moderate smoker (15 a day) and getting through about an ounce of weed per month to having a very occassional cigarette when I'm in (outside) the pub (and I want to look tough yet sophisticated) and a quarter of weed per month.

I've cut back a hell of a lot, but I just can't knock it on the head completely.

Most days all I have is 1 spliff. I smoke half when the kids have settled in bed and the other half just before bed, but if I try to stop that I go a bit mental.

Anyway, congrats so far - keep counting off the days

villabrownie - 25/3/2008 14:26

Good luck to you Jonah--I quit smoking on July 13, 2000 and it was one of the best things I've ever done. I still miss it and like to occasionally hold an unlit smokey treat and pantomime inhaling, but I always keep in mind that one hit off of one cigarette will make me a smoker again.

The thing that's kept me from restarting is how repulsive stale cigarette smoke smells to me now. It makes me queasy and I now find it to be one of the most repulsive smells in the world. Bleech. :38:

Summed up beautifully, exactly right.

I know my grandad gave up because of a medical condition, and he now says the smell to him is disgusting, also at the hospital they took him into a room, with people hooked up to machines with loads of pipes etc running in and out of them, and he was told it's what would happen to him if he didnt give up, and i think it was this that made him stop altogether

Good luck Jonah. I gave up myself about 10 years ago. For me the key was actually wanting to give up. When I say wanting, I don't mean thinking that I should for my health, money etc. In fact I don't mean an intellectual sense at all, you have to want it emotionally. I could go into the psychology of it all and give examples but it would only bore everyone. It suffices me to say that whatever is your strongest emotion will always govern your actions so if you really, emotionally want it it's actually not that big a deal. That was my experience anyway. As I said, good luck!

Jonah - 25/3/2008 12:27

I signed up for the NHS help malarky and have given up the dreaded weed.

As part of it you have to name a quitting day, mine was yesterday. Haven't had a fag since Sunday night, which might sound like fuck all but to anyone who knows me it's a major triumph.

I am using the nicotine inhaler thingies and they work a treat. I have tried to pack up many times in the past but this time feels different, I am going to give it a hell of a go anyway so wish me luck and I'll keep you posted.

:14:

:1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1:

Well done mate, keep at it, your body will thank you.

:35:

SMOKING…….

A cigarette contains:

4000 substances, 43 of which are known to cause cancer.

These include:

Nicotine to get you addicted (so you’ve been conned).

Hydrogen Cyanide, the gas the Americans use to execute people.

Toxic substances like Arsenic.

Poisonous metals such as nickel.

Carbon monoxide (suicide gas) the same as you get from your car exhaust.

STILL DYING FOR A FAG?

Thanks all.

Another day gone. Normally by this time I would be biting my arms off for a fag, in fact I would probably have already given in and had one. But no great cravings this time, all going well so far.

Fletch - 26/3/2008 07:13

Well done getting this far Jonah, it will be worth it long term. You will start to pile the weight on in the first twelve months, because you get your appetite back (plus the boredom)

You`ll soon be swimming and down the gym.

Good luck.

I get plenty of customers who tell me they can not give up smoking because it's well known that you put weight on when you stop, BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!! you put weight on because you start to munch on sweets and crap due to an oral fixation (insert innuendo here), chewing sugar free gum will cure that and you get no weight gain, so please don't spread these vicious rumours, people just use them as an excuse. :35:

Well played Jonah, I doth my cap to you.

If you are ever feeling the need for a smoke, just post on here first and we will all talk you out of it, like the sanctamonious little bastards we are!

:35: