Ivan Toney | Page 7 | Vital Football

Ivan Toney

For me I think Grigg would of been happy to stay with us.He didn't do what say Yanic did and hand in a transfer request or seem to kick up a fuss despite Sunderland constantly bidding for him throughout the window.The only reason he moved on was we were happy with the last minute bid made which the majority said was an excellent deal for us.
As posters have said,in his Sunderland interview he is bound to say how excited he was to sign for them to endear himself to their fans and only the man himself knows how much he wanted the move.I've read when he was with us how desperate he is to prove himself at this level so why would he want to drop back down to league 1 again were he's proved himself time and time again.
He's shown in the past he is capable of playing higher than League 1 in the F A Cup run and at the start of our past 2 seasons at this level.His movement and finishing his biggest assets.
It justs goes to show how massive confidence and form are to a footballer.We all know how good he is at that level but he's struggling at the moment and the Sunderland fans aren't exactly happy with him so far.He always seemed like a decent guy too and gave us good service in his time here so I hope he turns his form around.

Last edited:
For me I think Grigg would of been happy to stay with us.He didn't do what say Yanic did and hand in a transfer request or seem to kick up a fuss despite Sunderland constantly bidding for him throughout the window.The only reason he moved on was we were happy with the last minute bid made which the majority said was an excellent deal for us.
As posters have said,in his Sunderland interview he is bound to say how excited he was to sign for them to endear himself to their fans and only the man himself knows how much he wanted the move.I've read when he was with us how desperate he is to prove himself at this level so why would he want to drop back down to league 1 again were he's proved himself time and time again.
He's shown in the past he is capable of playing higher than League 1 in the F A Cup run and at the start of our past 2 seasons at this level.His movement and finishing his biggest assets.
It justs goes to show how massive confidence and form are to a footballer.We all know how good he is at that level but he's struggling at the moment and the Sunderland fans aren't exactly happy with him so far.He always seemed like a decent guy too and gave us good service in his time here so I hope he turns his form around.
His goal at Doncaster the Will Grigg song which accompanied it and Max with the flare is one of my all time best tics high points.
Right up there with cup final, prom to prem and Brussels away ?
UTFT ?⚪

League One side Peterborough have placed a £13m asking price on English striker Ivan Toney, 23, who has been linked with Burnley and Bournemouth.

Worlds gone mad

Ivan Toney completes Brentford move from Peterborough
Striker will officially join club on Tuesday; signed for an initial fee in the region of £5m

Compare and contrast - As they used to say at school:-
Toney worth £5m (and up to £10m) with no championship experience
Kipre worth £900k (up to £1.5m) sold to a prem club with solid championship experience.
I'm stuck on this - As I used to say at school

If Toney makes it at Championship level, then fair play to him.

He has clearly improved/prospered at Peterborough since his time with us. Whether that’s because Peterborough’s system suited him better (to be fair he did well at Scunthorpe at the same level) or more bluntly as a guy near me used to point out at most games (prior to our seeing the light Feb 2020 onwards) ......“we have no Bloody idea how to play to a centre forward”

If Toney makes it at Championship level, then fair play to him.

He has clearly improved/prospered at Peterborough since his time with us. Whether that’s because Peterborough’s system suited him better (to be fair he did well at Scunthorpe at the same level) or more bluntly as a guy near me used to point out at most games (prior to our seeing the light Feb 2020 onwards) ......“we have no Bloody idea how to play to a centre forward”

Both Scunthorpe and Peterborough played 2 up front. Playing up front on your own is a difficult job and many good strikers just aren't suited to it.

Plus here he was competing with Grigg here, so if Toney had a bad game he'd get dropped and his confidence went, while at the other clubs he was the main man and wouldn't ever go out of the team even if he had a stinker. A bit like Ellington and Yanic with us - we persisted with them through the bad patches to get the good, while other sides dropped them during the bad so they never got the good.

He had potential with us, but by the end of his spell with us i didn't think he would ever realise it. So hats off to him.

Compare and contrast - As they used to say at school:-
Toney worth £5m (and up to £10m) with no championship experience
Kipre worth £900k (up to £1.5m) sold to a prem club with solid championship experience.
I'm stuck on this - As I used to say at school
Toney is English that’s why it’s an over inflated market but it’s built on clubs and supporters egotistical view of the game.

I've never been more wrong about a player than this lad, fair play to him after a good performance tonight not just with the goals but his overall play.
I said he was one to watch! ;)

Cookie got it well wrong with the lad as well, to be fair he was a bit hit-and-miss with us. Its amazing how Brentford keep picking up all these cash cows

TBH he wasn't the finished article when he came to us, he didn't really make an impact, but that's what happens with young players. At the time we needed a striker that could score goals and he wasn't able to do that but over the last couple of years has improved dramatically. I doubt that many clubs could be prepared to take the risk with a young player when looking to survive in a tight division.

Good luck to the lad.