It's on its way... | Vital Football

It's on its way...

FatherKnowsBest

Vital Football Hero
I was disappointed yesterday to find that my Costa Flat White had gone up 10p. But I was outraged to find that I now have to drink from a cup adorned with feckin snowmen. Yes, halloween is done and Christmas is here. In retail land the decorations are up, the snowmen are out, and the mince pies are well and truly with us.

Now 'Christmas' I can tolerate. A pleasant day with my family, the kids and their partners, eat and drink a little too much, and a game to look forward to the day after, but... Christmas doesn't start in November. It starts when I finish work on Christmas Eve, and its done by Boxing Day Breakfast. Its the stupefying levels of extra marketing pizzaz and bollocks around it pushing us to new heights of stupid wastes of money that drives me nuts.

Presents that make you wonder if they even know who you are, ("I didn't know what to get you so I got you socks".... Arse. I'm not a mysterious stranger who you never met before!!!) Mums and Dads overspending to give gifts that afford a few minutes amusement to their brats, but broken or forgotten by New Year, all so little Jimmy 'wont feel left out'. Its disgraceful really.

I will be doing what I have for some time now. One gift for the people who mean the most to me, something that they really want or will cherish. No cards, no decorations, no chocolate brazils (well, maybe chocolate brazils...), back to sanity at the first opportunity.

PS. The other thing that outrages me about Christmas, is why don't they have it in the Summer when the weather is better. I know its supposed to be for the birth of Jesus, but Dec 25th is just an old pagan mid winter festival that had the Christian bits tacked on. Actually we don't know when Jesus was born. It could have been mid-July, couldn't it..?

Last edited:
You never been in the "card" shops at the bottom of The Moor,Xmas has a very early start.

Money racket,thats all it is these days,Corporation's whipping people up into a frenzy for one day.

Xmas day is the birthday of my daughter.

You never been in the "card" shops at the bottom of The Moor,Xmas has a very early start.

Money racket,thats all it is these days,Corporation's whipping people up into a frenzy for one day.

Xmas day is the birthday of my daughter.
Xmas day is also the birthday of Jesus Christ.UTCB

I’m having Christmas on the 22nd and 23rd this yr and again on the 29th and 30th as it’s better on a weekend you know like they do with bonfire night