It's Applegone | Vital Football

It's Applegone

SeasideEssexXile

Vital Football Legend
Blackpool Football Club is pleased to announce the appointment of Michael Appleton as Head Coach on a contract until June 2026.

The 46-year-old returns to Bloomfield Road on the back of a three-year stint in charge at Lincoln City, where he played a key role, both on-and-off the pitch, in building and developing a young and talented squad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm happy enough with this appointment he should be a good fit for Blackpool now the Oilstains are history. Yes he made a quick exit before but knowing how our club was run back then, it means he had his head screwed on and didn't want to work for those shower of twats.

UTMP

:cool: Just going on to the official site to cancel my membership .What a waste of space Appleshit is:downer::downer::downer::downer::downer::censor:Disgusted MichaelP

I've been trying to figure out what my view on him would be if he hadn't run away from us once before.

Clearly more of a "head coach" than a manager, reputation for playing good football and developing players. Did well at Oxford and Lincoln, and i'm allowing last year to be ignored given 1) Cancer and 2) he lost some quality, quality players.

But I can't help but think at the start of the summer he had 0 expectations of being a manager in the championship, and that worries me.

And all that said, I can't ignore the fact he's been here before and run away. Supposedly ran for the right reasons (Oystons) - but the pressure is just going to be immense on him to have a good start to the season. The fans (including me) will have a very, very short fuse with him I think.

Last edited:
Won two games out of twelve here last time...

To say I'm under-whelmed Simon would be an understatement.

I've been trying to figure out what my view on him would be if he hadn't run away from us once before.

Clearly more of a "head coach" than a manager, reputation for playing good football and developing players. Did well at Oxford and Lincoln, and i'm allowing last year to be ignored given 1) Cancer and 2) he lost some quality, quality players.

But I can't help but think at the start of the summer he had 0 expectations of being a manager in the championship, and that worries me.

And all that said, I can't ignore the fact he's been here before and run away. Supposedly ran for the right reasons (Oystons) - but the pressure is just going to be immense on him to have a good start to the season. The fans (including me) will have a very, very short fuse with him I think.

The length of contract worries me.
The fact that Mansford used to be his agent also worries me.

I'm of the same mindset as you, if he gets off to a start like Quitchley did then he won't get half as much support from an already questioning fan base.

I do wonder why subconsciously I still refer to him as Applegone.

I do think we will have some signings in quickly to try and divert any negativity towards him.

Last edited:
When it was first announced I was rather underwhelmed and didn’t want him but the more I think about it and listen to the guy I’m warming to the idea and think we could get a positive outcome with it.

A four year deal is some backing from the board as well.

:cool: Just going on to the official site to cancel my membership .What a waste of space Appleshit is:downer::downer::downer::downer::downer::censor:Disgusted MichaelP

Do you not think you are over reacting a little?

Who did you want for the job? Rosenior? Never managed a first team in his life?

After all the years of shit we have endured with the Oyston’s and the positive direction the club is going in can you not re think your rather aggressive and negative stand at least give Appleton a chance?

When I heard the appointment yesterday I was agnostic at best and underwhelmed at worst. All I really knew about him was that he walked out ten years ago; I also had the impression that he always looked miserable.

I did a few things to learn more about him:

• I watched the Seasiders Podcast in which the panel shifted from underwhelmed to tentatively positive over the period of the pod
  • I read Conor Hamilton's excellent utmp blog. As a result, I was starting to learn some things about Appleton
  • I watched the BBC Lancashire interview. I was starting to warm to Appleton a bit.
  • Lastly, I went to Wikipedia to learn more.
By the end of all that, I realized that we may have come up with the right man for the job. His experience and successes are irrefutable. And he's made mistakes. That is essential for the job - that's how we learn. I also realized that his walking out on us ten years ago is a non-issue. Frankly, I don't blame him and I probably would have done the same.

Then I looked up Rosenior. The resumes aren't even close. Appleton has done far more than Rosenior has acheived - by a mile!

As for the long contract, that was a prudent move by the club to protect its investment. If the board is right and Appleton is successful, others will come calling for him. And that long contract will result in a better deal for us. After all, we just did that with Critch.

Now let's get on with the season. utmp