It was sixty years ago today | Page 7 | Vital Football

It was sixty years ago today

More Shads.

Ha - saved me looking for it. Following old Bongo Herbert's return to the top for a couple of weeks with the same song as before, here's the next number one, and it's .... Bongo's Herberts.

Pretty much all the big Shadows hits were fantastic, and so influential on British pop music. They were admirably loyal to Cliff but much more interesting on their own.

Too old to remember properly now, but the first '45' I bought, I think, was 'Rock Island Line' by Lonnie Donnegan.

Mother is a huge Cliff fan, as are many women of her age. As such I've taken her to see him several times. For all his musical faults (I do like his early stuff) he is a consummate performer and the length of his career is testament to that.

1960 and twangy, have we mentioned Mr Eddy?

Mother is a huge Cliff fan, as are many women of her age. As such I've taken her to see him several times. For all his musical faults (I do like his early stuff) he is a consummate performer and the length of his career is testament to that.

1960 and twangy, have we mentioned Mr Eddy?
Who could forget?

Not long for this world by 1960 but Sam Cooke was still knocking them out in 1960. Brenda Lee! How many hits did she have around then.

All right, Pop Pickers, here's tonight's instalment (3 weeks, Sept-Oct 1960).

And it's our first taste of Death Pop, which seemed to be a massive thing around that time. I wonder why that was - perhaps because so many pop stars had been dropping like flies around then?

One of the interesting things about Surf music, which I only found out a few years ago, was that a lot of it was basically blues progressions but played in a minor key, which gave it a kind of melancholy feel. Now I assumed this was because of Dick Dale:

The reason being that he was a Lebanese American and knew all these weird Oriental scales, but it looks like groups like the Ventures and even the Shadows were doing it a couple of years before he turned up.

Ok I know the whole Shawnee Surf thing has been done to death but here's this anyway

And while Link (I call him Link) gets a lot of credit for the difficult lead, that keyboard doubling tamboreen and chewing part was not easy either.

Last edited:
I think you are justified in spoiling us just this one more time, sir. What the hell is that guitar he's playing?

Also, what kind of a show is that? It's like Crackerjack. The kids in the audience all look about ten. I hope every one of them picked up a guitar and formed a band.

This is one of my all time favourites.It never got near the top of the charts but should have done.Died with Buddy Holly of course in my opinion this guy could have been massive had he been around a little longer.It was the only non English language song to be voted into the top 500 songs of all time .

Only 17 years old when he died a great lost to pop music.

Last edited:
This is one of my all time favourites.It never got near the top of the charts but should have done.Died with Buddy Holly of course in my opinion this guy could have been massive had he been around a little longer.It was the only non English language song to be voted into the top 500 songs of all time .

Only 17 years old when he died a great lost to pop music.
Appropriated by the "Fab Four" (was never a fan, strictly a Stones man, me) for "Twist and Shout"