It was sixty years ago today | Page 2 | Vital Football

It was sixty years ago today

Great thread, Alderman. A good idea.

It's all well before more time but I'm a music lover and aware of the Everly Brothers without being a fan. I didn't recognise the song by the title but I only had to hear the first few bars to recognise it and think, 'oh, it's this one'. They certainly recorded some catchy pop songs, my favourite is 'Wake Up Little Suzie', but it's all a bit too clean cut for me.

I'm a much bigger fan of the artist who replaced them at No.1 sixty years ago in a few weeks. Without cheating, can anyone name that artist?!

Good one (I cheated).

Great thread, Alderman. A good idea.

It's all well before more time but I'm a music lover and aware of the Everly Brothers without being a fan. I didn't recognise the song by the title but I only had to hear the first few bars to recognise it and think, 'oh, it's this one'. They certainly recorded some catchy pop songs, my favourite is 'Wake Up Little Suzie', but it's all a bit too clean cut for me.

I'm a much bigger fan of the artist who replaced them at No.1 sixty years ago in a few weeks. Without cheating, can anyone name that artist?!

Well, part of the idea of this is for people who are fans to post slightly more obscure things to point people in different directions. The weirder the better.

I can’t say anymore than earlier posters. Before my time (born early 60’s). But I do remember getting my first record player for Xmas as a youngster in the early 70’s and among the first LP’s I got was an Everley Bro’s one and a Beatles one. No idea now what they were tho.

I did like their music, but it just about to be swamped in my teen years by the likes of Queen, Status Quo, The Who, Bowie etc.

I'm fed up of arguing about politics on here (though I expect I will continue to do so) and there's no football going on, which made me wonder what on earth else we can talk about without us all getting on each other's tits.

There's only one thing more important than politics, football and lunch, and thats Pop Music. So that's why I'm going to post up the number one single from sixty years ago for the Gills hive mind to prod, poke and dissect. That should keep us busy, especially the old ***** who aren't allowed out.

Now then, now then, guys and gals, as it 'appens the number one single from this day sixty years ago was uhUHuhUHuh Cathy's Clown by the Everly Brothers:

The reason why I didn't go for seventy years ago was because A) there weren't no charts until 1953 and B) when they did come along it was all sheet music and light opera. Chart music didn't really get going until about now.

So here we are in 1960 and straight in we've got a bit of a corker, especially compared to what else was going on at the time. I'm going to hold my thoughts for the moment, because this was number one for a fair few weeks, but what I want to know is:

Were you around back then?
Did you like this record?
If so, why, if not, why not?
What do you associate with this record and this time?
Any other digressions you think are worth mentioning. The more the merrier.

Looking forward to keeping this going so that I can discuss Tootsie Slide by Drake with you some time after I hit 112.
The Everly brothers Cathy's clown is one of my all time favourites. Don and Phil Everly have to this day inspired many other artists their harmonies did a massive amount to create ideas from other artists and new bands in the 60s and 70s.

Who was number one 50 years ago today ?May 1970 ?

This is from 1964 and reached No 7 in the charts, that was their highest ever chart position.
Notice how most songs from that era lasted between 2 and 3 minutes.

And a final one before giving someone else a chance, my first knowledge of a female drummer.

Can we have the number one from 59 years ago today, 58 tomorrow and so on please? It will keep us busy for a couple of months.

Otherwise, if we do it in real time I'll have got the virus and possibly died before we even get to the Beatles.

I think I've had a senior moment!
The program was thank your lucky stars, ITV, Juke Box Jury was aunty beeb.

I was born in 1961 so my parents were listening to the likes of the Everly Brothers along with Cliff Richard, Pat Boone and the like. So I grew up with them and still have their music in my collection. Hard to beat this, which A-ha covered very well.

The first album I bought was by Rolf Harris in the early 70s. By the end of the 70s I was buying albums by The Sex Pistols, The Clash and Blondie. Glad my music taste improved as I was growing up!

The first album I bought was by Rolf Harris in the early 70s. By the end of the 70s I was buying albums by The Sex Pistols, The Clash and Blondie. Glad my music taste improved as I was growing up!

I have a story about Rolf Harris. It's creepy, but don't worry, not too creepy.

A few months ago there were a few of us chatting and someone mentioned, actually started singing, a song they'd been taught at primary school. I recognised it and had a vague memory of also having heard it on some public information video I'd also been shown at school. But it was all very hazy and nobody else knew what the fuck either of us were talking about.

I suggested that we had a look on the internet and we found it very quickly. Everyone, including the two of us who remembered the song, were a little shocked.

As I said, a bit creepy. Does anyone else remember this?:

Last edited:
Sorry about that above, possibly unnecessary but LSB did mention Rolf!

To make amends here's something brilliant (at least I think so!). Don't know where I can get a copy or even know what year it's from - though it's gotta be late '50s / early '60s...

I have a story about Rolf Harris. It's creepy, but don't worry, not too creepy.

A few months ago there were a few of us chatting and someone mentioned, actually started singing, a song they'd been taught at primary school. I recognised it and had a vague memory of also having heard it on some public information video I'd also been shown at school. But it was all very hazy and nobody else knew what the fuck either of us were talking about.

I suggested that we had a look on the internet and we found it very quickly. Everyone, including the two of us who remembered the song, were a little shocked.

As I said, a bit creepy. Does anyone else remember this?:

The link don't work. I was only about five, so don't blame me for my music taste back then lol