It was sixty years ago today | Vital Football

It was sixty years ago today

Alderman Barnes

Vital Squad Member
I'm fed up of arguing about politics on here (though I expect I will continue to do so) and there's no football going on, which made me wonder what on earth else we can talk about without us all getting on each other's tits.

There's only one thing more important than politics, football and lunch, and thats Pop Music. So that's why I'm going to post up the number one single from sixty years ago for the Gills hive mind to prod, poke and dissect. That should keep us busy, especially the old ***** who aren't allowed out.

Now then, now then, guys and gals, as it 'appens the number one single from this day sixty years ago was uhUHuhUHuh Cathy's Clown by the Everly Brothers:

The reason why I didn't go for seventy years ago was because A) there weren't no charts until 1953 and B) when they did come along it was all sheet music and light opera. Chart music didn't really get going until about now.

So here we are in 1960 and straight in we've got a bit of a corker, especially compared to what else was going on at the time. I'm going to hold my thoughts for the moment, because this was number one for a fair few weeks, but what I want to know is:

Were you around back then?
Did you like this record?
If so, why, if not, why not?
What do you associate with this record and this time?
Any other digressions you think are worth mentioning. The more the merrier.

Looking forward to keeping this going so that I can discuss Tootsie Slide by Drake with you some time after I hit 112.

Last edited:
Brilliant stuff, Nitram. Seriously, that is a superb clip of the 14-year-old foghorn. Absolutely what we want. Let us fill this thread with the like of that. She was good.

Sorry but when Cathy's Clown was released it was just a bit too early for me. Of course have I have always loved the record. First record to get my attention was Telstar (Tornados) in 1962.

Sorry but when Cathy's Clown was released it was just a bit too early for me. Of course have I have always loved the record. First record to get my attention was Telstar (Tornados) in 1962.

That doesn't matter. You don't have to have been around at the time to have an opinion on it. Fill your boots, this is a thread for all ages. Roll up! Roll up!

Brilliant stuff, Nitram. Seriously, that is a superb clip of the 14-year-old foghorn. Absolutely what we want. Let us fill this thread with the like of that. She was good.
In early 1963 the Beatles were her supporting act on her tour, how a couple of months can change things.

I died each time I heard that sound. 1960 big year. Moved from Heysham to Strood, started at Saint Mary's, where we drank water from shared cups in the boys' toilets -and I got jaundice for weeks, and then transferred to be part of the first intake at English Martyrs.

Mum and Dad bought Wupaa Oh Yeh Yeh

They also bought Milord and this about the same time.

A bit too early for me. My earliest music memories were watching Juke Box Jury and the likes of Lulu or Val Doonican on a Saturday after a Gills match or watching Grandstand/ Scottish Ice Hockey, Scrambling on TV.

The terrifying thing is that Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen look at least 20 years younger than I am now, although they were granddad music at the time.

A bit too early for me. My earliest music memories were watching Juke Box Jury and the likes of Lulu or Val Doonican on a Saturday after a Gills match or watching Grandstand/ Scottish Ice Hockey, Scrambling on TV.

Sorry. It's like Pointless on here. "Before my time" is not an excuse. You have to have an opinion. I know it's hard for youngsters like you, but bear with us.

I like it, but I wouldn't buy it.

Great thread, Alderman. A good idea.

It's all well before more time but I'm a music lover and aware of the Everly Brothers without being a fan. I didn't recognise the song by the title but I only had to hear the first few bars to recognise it and think, 'oh, it's this one'. They certainly recorded some catchy pop songs, my favourite is 'Wake Up Little Suzie', but it's all a bit too clean cut for me.

I'm a much bigger fan of the artist who replaced them at No.1 sixty years ago in a few weeks. Without cheating, can anyone name that artist?!