It just shows the lunacy of football finances | Vital Football

It just shows the lunacy of football finances

Casperimp

Vital 1st Team Regular
We all band about these figures of footballers and managers earning this and that but here is a bit of food for thought and highlights ridiculous nature of football finance.

I was listening to a Danny Cowley interview that came on the sport radio this morning and it got me thinking. DC has been in charge at Hudders for 174 days. If as has been reported his salary is £1.5million which is not unusual for the championship then he has received £717,079 so far. In his old job as a senior teacher in Essex the average salary for this is currently listed as £42,035. It would take him 17 years to earn what he has so far received at Hudders if he was still doing his old job.

This is a Championship club and look at the huge level of finance and we are talking second tier English football! I hazard a guess that there aren't many of us City fans earning even £42,000 per year let alone anymore!

While we all crave the chance to support our beloved Imps in The Championship what I would want more is Championship managers or players salary!:grinning:

We all band about these figures of footballers and managers earning this and that but here is a bit of food for thought and highlights ridiculous nature of football finance.

I was listening to a Danny Cowley interview that came on the sport radio this morning and it got me thinking. DC has been in charge at Hudders for 174 days. If as has been reported his salary is £1.5million which is not unusual for the championship then he has received £717,079 so far. In his old job as a senior teacher in Essex the average salary for this is currently listed as £42,035. It would take him 17 years to earn what he has so far received at Hudders if he was still doing his old job.

This is a Championship club and look at the huge level of finance and we are talking second tier English football! I hazard a guess that there aren't many of us City fans earning even £42,000 per year let alone anymore!

While we all crave the chance to support our beloved Imps in The Championship what I would want more is Championship managers or players salary!:grinning:

£302,000 in income tax on that sort of figure of £717,000 makes it marginally more acceptable but still not bad !!

Last edited:
And of course, possibly the bigger lunacy of these football salaries, is if you're a manager who keeps failing, you can get sacked time after time and paid maybe 3 years mega money for less than a year in thr job...
So the worse you are, the more you get !

And of course, possibly the bigger lunacy of these football salaries, is if you're a manager who keeps failing, you can get sacked time after time and paid maybe 3 years mega money for less than a year in thr job...
So the worse you are, the more you get !

Reckon those days of paying up your full contract by the club on your sacking with maybe 2 or 3 years left on it are long gone.
Most clubs will more than likely have the termination figures in the contract before you start.
Still,to get paid any amount to be a failure is nice work if you can get it.It wont be any managers ambition but it does soften the blow of the sack particularly because it should also lessen your reputation and the chances of finding another job in a very competitive market.
Doesn't always work like that either though.
Plenty of 'failures' get back into football in good jobs.
Like anything in life its opportunity you need, the rest is up to you whether you succeed or fail.

Most of the directors of the major company I work for are on between 100-150k a year. Enormous wages. And yet, in football terms its League 2 -League 1 player earnings, 2 to 3k a week.

Playing devils advocate a professional footballer in the lower leagues is by definition in the top 2000 in his profession in the country. I would think if you are in this bracket in any profession you will be well paid.
That’s not allowing for being a short high risk career I guess

I'm pretty sure it is something like
Reckon those days of paying up your full contract by the club on your sacking with maybe 2 or 3 years left on it are long gone.
Most clubs will more than likely have the termination figures in the contract before you start.
Still,to get paid any amount to be a failure is nice work if you can get it.It wont be any managers ambition but it does soften the blow of the sack particularly because it should also lessen your reputation and the chances of finding another job in a very competitive market.
Doesn't always work like that either though.
Plenty of 'failures' get back into football in good jobs.
Like anything in life its opportunity you need, the rest is up to you whether you succeed or fail.

I think you are right there. Payoff in the Prem is still likely to be a year's money though. For Managers earning £10m a year (Mourinho) it is an eyewatering payoff.

Just to correct the above............Mourinho was earning £15m a year at Man U!!!. His payoff was close to £20m:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/14/jose-mourinho-manchester-united-payoff-staff

Given his trophy haul at multiple clubs, Mourinho can justify such salaries.
And given United have around 200 times the turnover that we do, it's a salary level quite a lot smaller pro-rata to turnover than what we paying the Cowleys. (Their trophy haul record also though justifying what they got paid).