It could be worse - Torquay's predicament | Vital Football

It could be worse - Torquay's predicament

I seem to remember a report last season that Todd Jordan and a couple of others were on less than £200 per week at Lincoln, so perhaps the Torquay story isn't that unusual. I suppose that is a fact of life at our level - the penalty to pay for the prestige of being a professional footballer is that you earn bugger all out of it.

I hope it isn't so in our case because it's illegal and if HMRC find out not only do you have to repay every penny of it but you then face hefty fines for not paying it in the first place

oldimpsfan - 22/12/2015 21:57

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35145282

Very difficult situation for the Club and supporters. Just hope they can keep going somehow. With all the money in the top tier of the game, and more to come next season, this is ridiculous. As John Reames once said the Premier League want all the cake and the crumbes as well.

Not often FT Clubs are relegated from the Conference but we 3 are currently in the relegation places - Kiddy, Torquay and Boreham Wood (admittedly only tuned FT a couple of months ago).

Luke Imp - 23/12/2015 09:08

Not often FT Clubs are relegated from the Conference but we 3 are currently in the relegation places - Kiddy, Torquay and Boreham Wood (admittedly only tuned FT a couple of months ago).
What is an FT club Luke? Sorry if that is a daft question.

Steve O'Dare - 23/12/2015 09:12

Think he means full time.

oldimpsfan - 22/12/2015 22:44

I hope it isn't so in our case because it's illegal and if HMRC find out not only do you have to repay every penny of it but you then face hefty fines for not paying it in the first place

We had that problem with Ellis Remy who was apparently on £90 a week.

Cricklewoodimp - 23/12/2015 09:46

Correct.

Didn't Keith do the same? He sold the dream of being a pro footballer. We had players on low wages with the promise of an opportunity to play pro football and the possibility of making something out of it longer term. I believe at that time our reserve keeper was on £100 a week. The result was Keith built a team of hungry young men who took us all the way to Cardiff. He picked the right players!

"The result was Keith built a team of hungry young men who took us all the way to Cardiff."

Figuratively and literally.
:pointy:

Although I think our wage-budget in KA's first season was said to be £750k.

NottyImp - 23/12/2015 11:03

"The result was Keith built a team of hungry young men who took us all the way to Cardiff."

Figuratively and literally.
:pointy:

Although I think our wage-budget in KA's first season was said to be £750k.

I can't quite remember because it is so long ago now, but I am sure it was more like half of that. Could be totally wrong however.

Clan81 - 23/12/2015 10:10

Didn't Keith do the same? He sold the dream of being a pro footballer. We had players on low wages with the promise of an opportunity to play pro football and the possibility of making something out of it longer term. I believe at that time our reserve keeper was on £100 a week. The result was Keith built a team of hungry young men who took us all the way to Cardiff. He picked the right players!

That was Horrid an, I think. I remember his dad complaining saying he could earn more on a building site. Well feel free to change career, no one is forcing these lads. Heard a Talksport debate yesterday on players having to play over Christmas. They choose their career path as we all do.

Less than minimum wage for a 40-hour week, perhaps, but in terms of hours worked, I'm sure it wouldn't work out below. Since we've been down here we've had non-contract players working for expenses only, alongside various members of management teams. Young footballers can see it as the type of internship that many young people have to go through to gain the experience to obtain their dream career. It's not the fact players have been given low wages, it's the fact that evidently these are the wrong types of player.

Luke Imp - 23/12/2015 09:56

Correct.
Thanks. It was a daft question now I think about it! :oops:

Steve O'Dare - 23/12/2015 12:55

Luke Imp - 23/12/2015 09:56

Correct.
Thanks. It was a daft question now I think about it! :oops:

You probably got confused with the Financial Times. ;)