Is this thief's beating excessive? | Vital Football

Is this thief's beating excessive?

Girthquake

Vital Newbie

What do you think?

The reason why I ask is that I'm shocked that a lot of people are saying that the homeowner went too far on that thread.
...And I think that's absolute bollocks.

Personally, if I caught someone trying force way into my home in broad daylight when the kids and family would have been inside - I don't think that cretin would have gotten off as easily as he did here.

Wigan is a working-class town, we've probably all experienced/witnessed burglary in some form or other and frankly it's shite. Some low-life taking your possesions because they can't be arsed earning some dollar, or because they're trying to feed a drug habit.

The running theme of the comments where; "He used excessive force, he should have stopped sooner"

I'd argue if you catch someone breaking into your hope your adrenaline spikes, you have no idea if the thief is armed (Which would be a good bet due to the ever surging rates of knife crime), you have no idea of their capabilities to hurt either yourself or your family...So beat the utter shit out of the bastard and make sure the kicking you gave him in round 1 was enough of a deterrent for the idiot not to come back for a second helping.

Now, it could be argued that you should wait for the police. But I seriously doubt anyone who's had any dealings with police in low-income areas has faith in the force.

Personally, I had a run-in with a neighbour who stole my Girlfriends package, reported to police, he started threatening her with the knife whilst I was at work...saying he was going to kill her etc.

After pleading with the police for weeks, they managed to get a power of arrest from a Judge...still didn't act after my girlfriend recorded him threatening her in the hall.
Eventually, they did act after months of torment. It took me saying I was going through his door as soon as I'm home as they obviously didn't care for my girlfriend or child's welfare.

So yeah, I firmly believe if you catch someone in the act of breaking into your home, whatever force you use is necessary.

How about you guys?

For me, yes.

The beating in the yard was understandable. However, after the lad had been deposited though (and into !) the gate, the further kicks were unnecessary, and probably not attributable to defence of the property.

I understand the "no faith in the police" argument, but if the lad took that video and wanted to prosecute, I reckon the property owner would be on very dodgy ground for those last few kicks.

I completely understand what you're saying.

Sure, it's not lawful kicking someone in the face once they're down - but I'd be more worried that the thief thought he had it easy on the first attempt and try again rather than the legal ramifications from the police...that's if they ever got around to it!

Taking away the morality of the matter for a second, I'd doubt that the thief reported it...though yeah, you'd probably be liable for something like common assault.