Is there a plastic crisis at Aston Villa? | Vital Football

Is there a plastic crisis at Aston Villa?

JuanPabloAngel

Alert Team
With the news that Season Tickets are selling like nobody’s business, and the decision of the club to cap sales at 30,000, a big debate has erupted on social media about so-called ‘plastic’ fans (we called them glory hunters in my day) and them coming out of the woodwork and snaffling all the Season Tickets at the expense of more ‘loyal’ fans who’ve stuck with the club through the recent bad times.

https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/is-there-a-plastic-crisis-at-aston-villa/

Another good write-up JPA. The whole argument is silly really, yet typical of the social-media world we now live in. My brother was a STH for 15+ years then med school, family, career etc got in the way. If, as his kids move away and work slows down or changes, he finds the time and inclination to start going down to Villa Park more regularly does that make him a plastic fan? Absolutely not.
And yes, he was there against Southampton in ‘86 :utv::bow::grinning:

The only time I remember us getting consistent sell outs in my time as a season ticket holder (23 years) was during the MON era. I think it's a bit pointless whinging at our own fans but Villa fans do love a stupid argument amongst ourselves.

With the news that Season Tickets are selling like nobody’s business, and the decision of the club to cap sales at 30,000, a big debate has erupted on social media about so-called ‘plastic’ fans (we called them glory hunters in my day) and them coming out of the woodwork and snaffling all the Season Tickets at the expense of more ‘loyal’ fans who’ve stuck with the club through the recent bad times.

https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/is-there-a-plastic-crisis-at-aston-villa/

When myself and my two sons invaded the pitch after the Middlesbrough play-off game last season we faced the Holte who were singing, Where were you when we were shit, my answer was sitting in the seats at Leicester five nil down one Saturday morning watching the most turgid display of football I’ve ever seen in pouring rain, there were many, many others but that one sticks out like a sore thumb

When myself and my two sons invaded the pitch after the Middlesbrough play-off game last season we faced the Holte who were singing, Where were you when we were shit, my answer was sitting in the seats at Leicester five nil down one Saturday morning watching the most turgid display of football I’ve ever seen in pouring rain, there were many, many others but that one sticks out like a sore thumb

I forgot to add singing always look on the bright side of the life continuously for about an hour and even celebrating their goals

Annoys me - fans are fans and it should make no difference at all whether they attend matches or not.

Not everyone can make matches for a variety of reasons and they’re not any lesser fans for doing so.

I have 2 sons and I coach every Saturday morning. One son sees his dad every other weekend (his dads a Blue Nose and I’ve brought his son up as a Villan...!) so although he eats, sleeps and breathes the Villa, he wouldn’t be able to make every weekend.

My other son would love to go there every weekend but I’m not sure we’d be able to as we’re a busy family and both me and the wife travel a long way to and from work so week games would also be a struggle.

I’d love a season ticket but can’t - does that make me a lesser fan. I don’t think so.

I though Plastic fans were like the top 4 attract , the one we've all worked with who claim to support Man Utd or Liverpool but don't actually really follow any team . It's more so they can join in football talk and not feel left out . Never been to a match in their lives and never will . Might watch a game on sky but that's about it .

Despite supporting Villa for over 50 years I've only been able to afford or indeed need a season ticket the last 15 years . Let be honest how often do we sell out

Annoys me - fans are fans and it should make no difference at all whether they attend matches or not.

Not everyone can make matches for a variety of reasons and they’re not any lesser fans for doing so.

I have 2 sons and I coach every Saturday morning. One son sees his dad every other weekend (his dads a Blue Nose and I’ve brought his son up as a Villan...!) so although he eats, sleeps and breathes the Villa, he wouldn’t be able to make every weekend.

My other son would love to go there every weekend but I’m not sure we’d be able to as we’re a busy family and both me and the wife travel a long way to and from work so week games would also be a struggle.

I’d love a season ticket but can’t - does that make me a lesser fan. I don’t think so.

MollyCruyff OUT

Great article JPA. Football really is a madness isn't it?

What next. We sing to newbies 'where we're you when we were shit?'

I dunno what you’d call it as I wouldn’t say any Villa fans are ‘glory hunters’ ? and dunno what to think of it all. Like the article said, there was plenty of time prior to April to buy in the early bird window and in my area at least people would’ve saved themselves £50. But as soon as they’ve gone back on sale they’ve been snapped up, just a shame all the people who’ve snapped them up didn’t before as even if we hadn’t gone up, it would’ve been a massive vote of confidence in the current manager and owners. Nonetheless, it’ll be great to see Villa Park full every home game next season or most home games at least.