Is there a Doctor in The House? | Vital Football

Is there a Doctor in The House?

kefkat

Vital Football Legend
:17: :17: :17:

What more can be said: Not for the faint hearted

Patient care is the number one priority for doctors but sometimes mistakes can happen.

And when one Reddit user asked doctors about the worst mistake they have ever made at work, there were thousands of replies.

From performing surgery on the wrong knee to getting drunk at work, below are some of the most shocking confessions:

............................................................................................

Continued at:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/03/doctors-reveal-their-worst-mistakes-at-work-4211150/?ITO=facebook

shocking stuff.

I work in accounts and we have something called segregation of duty, which for those who dont know: not only acts as asafeguard against fraudulent activity but is also an extra check and extra pair of eyes to pick up on mistakes, which happen all the time of course. Obviously nobody's lives are at risk yet it is still seen as a vital procedure and it works, and things are picked up and rectified and everything is always spot on correct when reporting is done and results are finalised. That's how it works

To see a story whereby a mistake is made is fair enough, but for it to pass by so many checks and so called qualified professionals unoticed, and for people to die over silly mistakes does actually scare me to death!

not read that yet, will have a look later.

I remember having chest drains taken out (not pleasant at the best of times) and the nurse forgot to turn off the suction machine. She thought it funny, me less so. Ouch.

Also a catheter being fitted only for the lady doctor to say she'd brought one too short. Most flattering!

Oh and of course the very best one, oh how I still laugh over my ruined body, the doctors saying I was suffering with stress whilst I was actually dying from a brain disease.

Oh and a nurse came into the isolation ward once whilst in London brain ache hospital saying they had found out what was wrong with me, I was badly diabetic. She was about to inject the insulin when she asked, 'you are cyril aren't you' Too lazy to check the hospital name band around my wrist I assume.

The Fear - 3/12/2013 16:21

I remember having chest drains taken out (not pleasant at the best of times) and the nurse forgot to turn off the suction machine. She thought it funny, me less so. Ouch.

Also a catheter being fitted only for the lady doctor to say she'd brought one too short. Most flattering!

Oh and of course the very best one, oh how I still laugh over my ruined body, the doctors saying I was suffering with stress whilst I was actually dying from a brain disease.

Oh and a nurse came into the isolation ward once whilst in London brain ache hospital saying they had found out what was wrong with me, I was badly diabetic. She was about to inject the insulin when she asked, 'you are cyril aren't you' Too lazy to check the hospital name band around my wrist I assume.
I hated the catheter very uncomfortable understood the need for it but horrible all the same.

I was thinking of getting a catheter for the world cup.

Maybe I wont bother now you say that gator.

James06 - 3/12/2013 16:30

LOL Jim you would be better off just pissing on the floor and cleaning up later be a lot less stressful.

gator - 3/12/2013 17:34

LOL Jim you would be better off just pissing on the floor and cleaning up later be a lot less stressful.

Never heard of a bottle?

Villan Of The North - 3/12/2013 19:12

gator - 3/12/2013 17:34

Never heard of a bottle?
HAHA those were the days on the old coaches.

Oh my, that is truly shocking to hear.

I know i`ve said this before,but it`s quite relevant :
I had the snip and the anaesthetist forgot to anaesthetise
Ouch was not really a strong enough word to describe my pain.
I cringe every time i tell this little tale .(No jibes about having little tales please)

I heard today on the radio that a woman had a surgeons glove left inside her after surgery......not nice, having to be opened up again to retrieve said glove.....

Pride of Lions - 3/12/2013 19:54

I heard today on the radio that a woman had a surgeons glove left inside her after surgery......not nice, having to be opened up again to retrieve said glove.....

That happens quite a lot actually with instruments and stuff. And can be easily done because of the sheer amount of stuff out during surgery. Never happened when i spent my time in theatres though.

My ankle is still broke over two years after my accident so how the hell did they discharge me.

randy.stand - 3/12/2013 19:42

Oh my, that is truly shocking to hear.

The worst thing was, I was really happy they had found something as I was in a right mess health wise.

Not sure if it would have killed me or not? Wouldn't have done much good though I would assume! Lol

OMG there would not have been VV if she had of done.

Seriously JF that's some bad stuff you had happen there. Bloody scary

A neurogolist told us 9 years ago my lad was suffering from a form of migraine. This is when we had him to the Dr's as I knew their was something not right. I knew it wasn't but he wouldn't listen.

Those migraines turned out to be bi-polar which took 6 years 4 overdoes for them to finally diagnose, when he nearly died.

Yes Heath mistakes do happen. The problem is when it is people it is not like a washing machine you can replace, so people will be more sensitive to mistakes

I went into Sandwell hospital earlier this year with stomach pains.

A nurse told me I had 'Non specific abdomen pain' and it would go away in a few days.

A different nurse checked me before I went, he called a surgeon, who rushed me in to be operated on the same day to have my appendix out. They told me later it was really bad and I would have been in trouble if it was left until the next day.

Maybe it's fate, maybe it's blind luck, but I am glad that the other nurse double checked me before I left.