Is The Dream Over? | Vital Football

Is The Dream Over?

The real Swaley

Vital Youth Team
So if the rumours are to be believed, mel has decreed that there will be a tight budget for next season, the wage bill must be lowered and any players in must be financed from player sales.

None of this apparently is down to FFP, but down to Mel realising he is pXXXing a load of money down the drain for no real return, the riches of the premier league seemingly as far out of reach as ever.

I for one forsee a grim reality, with the club stumbling about the middle reaches of the championship and only by some fluke will we see a chance of promotion. I hope I'm wrong but if you want to know what its like to have a local "fan" owner who runs the club on a tight budget, just ask Ipswich fans, for several season s their owner has run the club like that and the fans have ebbed away at the lack of ambition and crap football played.

Mel has been given a number of self-inflicted bloody noses since moving into the hot-seat and he now wants to re-group but GR has shafted him in that Mel went along the experienced ex Prem players route and it failed. Mel wants to clear the decks and no doubt believed that his Manager would go along with him but GR wants to jump ship to follow his dream! Quite which way Mel will go now is a conundrum. I almost feel sorry for Mel, only almost though!!

If MM employs another manager who ends up as Mr nearly but not quite he will be criticised.

If he employs one who gets us up within 2 seasons it will be "because of all the money......".

Poor sod can't win.

I don't thinkk mel has much option but to cut costs. We hoped the loans out would become permanent but not much being said there. With over 30 senior squad players the only way of getting wages down is by letting them go as Baird Shacks and Bent now moved on

So if the rumours are to be believed, mel has decreed that there will be a tight budget for next season, the wage bill must be lowered and any players in must be financed from player sales.

None of this apparently is down to FFP, but down to Mel realising he is pXXXing a load of money down the drain for no real return, the riches of the premier league seemingly as far out of reach as ever.

I for one forsee a grim reality, with the club stumbling about the middle reaches of the championship and only by some fluke will we see a chance of promotion. I hope I'm wrong but if you want to know what its like to have a local "fan" owner who runs the club on a tight budget, just ask Ipswich fans, for several season s their owner has run the club like that and the fans have ebbed away at the lack of ambition and crap football played.

Mel is a great owner and fan, but I think he has started to realise that even his millions are not enough for the present state of football in this Country.

Billionaires or large corporations are needed to sustain clubs in the Premiership and they aren't going to let some mere multi-millionaire get a slice of their action unless he gets in an exceptional manager and has the balls to stand up to other clubs who want to take them and players away from the club.

I really do think Mel should now be looking to sell the club if we are to move forward....

The situation does appear to be that your options are becoming more limited!! Basically you either drift along spending minimal amounts seeking bargain basement players and hope tofind a few gems and cling to your championship place, or find a mega rich owner who bulldozers through ffp and really goes for it and can cope financially with failure or, finally, you do a Mel and get through more managers than enough, spending good money on each manager's notions of a good player and system. All can fail but in B) it don't matter just spend more, in A) OK we are crap but still afloat and C), as in our case, the owner's financially chastened, his club's full of a mish mash of worthless players and going through the unemployed list of crap managers for yet another one and the disappearing fan base has taken up talking about Brexit!!

Last edited:
The situation does appear to be that your options are becoming more limited!! Basically you either drift along spending minimal amounts seeking bargain basement players and hope tofind a few gems and cling to your championship place, or find a mega rich owner who bulldozers through ffp and really goes for it and can cope financially with failure or, finally, you do a Mel and get through more managers than enough, spending good money on each manager's notions of a good player and system. All can fail but in B) it don't matter just spend more, in A) OK we are crap but still afloat and C), as in our case, the owner's financially chastened, his club's full of a mish mash of worthless players and going through the unemployed list of crap managers for yet another one and the disappearing fan base has taken up talking about Brexit!!

Or you can make a choice on a manager and stick with them for a season, not throw your toys out of the pram because they aren't managing the Derby way, had upset the players or was a failure before which you rehired for reasons of your own!

Clubs like Norwich, Burnley and Cardiff this year and Huddersfield did not blitz FFP to get promoted and the money we have spent should have been more than enough to get this club promoted, BUT its been frittered away on a bunch of expensive has beens, rather than scout for some up and coming players and using a couple of good quality loans - mind you even when we did have a good quality loan player this season. Rowett hardly used him, that plus inflexible poor tactics and buying Lawrence then not playing him in his best position..I could go on but Mel has made a right balls up of the club- a good businessman does not equal knowing how to run a club, would have done well to have had some good football brains to run the club, set the traget, set the budgets and let them do what they are paid to do.

Why always Derby?

Why indeed!! That is the question we keep asking ourselves!! The answer would appear to be that it's the Mel induced 'Derby Way'!!

Why indeed!! That is the question we keep asking ourselves!! The answer would appear to be that it's the Mel induced 'Derby Way'!!

Ah the Derby Way, when a well intentioned amateur ties to run an organisation he has no experience of and fails!

If he hires Lampard I will know he hasn't a clue!

Apparently, the interviews are being held by Mel and the club's accountant!! So, plenty of footie knowledge there then!!

Or you can make a choice on a manager and stick with them for a season, not throw your toys out of the pram because they aren't managing the Derby way, had upset the players or was a failure before which you rehired for reasons of your own!

Clubs like Norwich, Burnley and Cardiff this year and Huddersfield did not blitz FFP to get promoted and the money we have spent should have been more than enough to get this club promoted, BUT its been frittered away on a bunch of expensive has beens, rather than scout for some up and coming players and using a couple of good quality loans - mind you even when we did have a good quality loan player this season. Rowett hardly used him, that plus inflexible poor tactics and buying Lawrence then not playing him in his best position..I could go on but Mel has made a right balls up of the club- a good businessman does not equal knowing how to run a club, would have done well to have had some good football brains to run the club, set the traget, set the budgets and let them do what they are paid to do.

Why always Derby?

Swales, I will try to answer your points whilst keeping inside libel Laws.

Mclaren. No argument from me on the first sacking. His rehiring had some merit as the hope was that we would get the same free flowing football but with more success this time. No argument from me on the 2nd sacking.

Clement. He was given a series of well published KPIs when he arrived. He had frequent meetings with MM to discuss how well he was stacking up against those KPIs. He was told by Mel that he was falling down on most of them and that things had to change and change quickly. He was given some slack due to the results but when they disappeared only to be replaced by rumour of non-football related issues he had to go. It wasn't throwing toys out of the pram, it was bog standard staff management. I do not argue with Clement's demise.

Pearson. The football was dire. The results were average at best. Then there was the Idiakez training ground incident for which he was suspended pending talks between MM and Pearson. MM wanted to sack Idi, Pearo didn't. That meeting ended, according to reports in the press and online, ina physical altercation with the manager having to be pulled off the chairman. I spent many years of my working life in senior management roles. If anybody had dared lay a hand on me they would have been out of the door. Again, a sacking that was correct and not one that could be deemed throwing your toys out of the pram.

Rowett. Decided to go elsewhere. Again not a single toy dispatched out of the pram.

Can anybody please tell me when MM has disposed of his toys in afit of pique with regard to managerial departures? It looks very much to me that he was quite right in all of his sackings.

Why always Derby?

Why always Derby? Fair question.

Blaming Morris makes little sense imo though. ‘Why always Derby’ is a question that’s been going on for a lot longer than Morris’ period of ownership and surely it’s the so called ‘football brains’ who are precisely those who have let both MM and the rest of us down in recent years.

Can anybody please tell me when MM has disposed of his toys in a fit of pique with regard to managerial departures?

My question from post #11 in this thread hasn't been answered. Does this indicate agreement with my premise that MM wasn't being petulant?

Swales, I will try to answer your points whilst keeping inside libel Laws.

Mclaren. No argument from me on the first sacking. His rehiring had some merit as the hope was that we would get the same free flowing football but with more success this time. No argument from me on the 2nd sacking.

Clement. He was given a series of well published KPIs when he arrived. He had frequent meetings with MM to discuss how well he was stacking up against those KPIs. He was told by Mel that he was falling down on most of them and that things had to change and change quickly. He was given some slack due to the results but when they disappeared only to be replaced by rumour of non-football related issues he had to go. It wasn't throwing toys out of the pram, it was bog standard staff management. I do not argue with Clement's demise.

Pearson. The football was dire. The results were average at best. Then there was the Idiakez training ground incident for which he was suspended pending talks between MM and Pearson. MM wanted to sack Idi, Pearo didn't. That meeting ended, according to reports in the press and online, ina physical altercation with the manager having to be pulled off the chairman. I spent many years of my working life in senior management roles. If anybody had dared lay a hand on me they would have been out of the door. Again, a sacking that was correct and not one that could be deemed throwing your toys out of the pram.

Rowett. Decided to go elsewhere. Again not a single toy dispatched out of the pram.

Can anybody please tell me when MM has disposed of his toys in afit of pique with regard to managerial departures? It looks very much to me that he was quite right in all of his sackings.

MA your right about Mac1and Mac2 right about Clement right about Rowett but wrong about Pearson yes there was an assault but definitely not with MM it was with another player who has been released

I don't thinkk mel has much option but to cut costs. We hoped the loans out would become permanent but not much being said there. With over 30 senior squad players the only way of getting wages down is by letting them go as Baird Shacks and Bent now moved on

Those 3 were out of contract..........

Latest Rams News