Is playing for Villa a curse? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Is playing for Villa a curse?

Well judging from his shooting at villa he was still trying to score into the goals back home in Bulgaria.

Last edited:
Think there is just some managers you can see the disaster coming
Lambert to Stoke get your money on them to be relegated bit like McClaren to QPR he will be gone after 10-15 games or QPR will be gone to league 1. Works the other way as well Mick McCarthy for all the stick he gets for the way he plays he kept Ipswich mid table for years on no money bet they struggle to stay up this season.

John Gregory currently at the Indian league champions, seems to be doing OK.

Indeed he is, but outside of the Villa-sphere, I'm not sure too many will be aware of his success. I think what SJH was suggesting (quite rightly, imho) was that few go on to bigger and better things after managing Villa. Where else is there to go?!

I shuddered when I read thst list! The only name that kept me from reaching for the sick bucket was John Terry's.

Jeus in that context it just proves how much sh*t we have bought over the years. It gave me quite a fright

Indeed he is, but outside of the Villa-sphere, I'm not sure too many will be aware of his success. I think what SJH was suggesting (quite rightly, imho) was that few go on to bigger and better things after managing Villa. Where else is there to go?!

Exactly. They don't all disappear into oblivion, but have any gone on to manage a bigger club? You could say MON and Big Eck have done alright, but that's in international football.

Funnily it's in international football the last one went on to arguably bigger things in Graham Taylor. And that was almost 30 years ago!

Think there is just some managers you can see the disaster coming
Lambert to Stoke get your money on them to be relegated bit like McClaren to QPR he will be gone after 10-15 games or QPR will be gone to league 1. Works the other way as well Mick McCarthy for all the stick he gets for the way he plays he kept Ipswich mid table for years on no money bet they struggle to stay up this season.

I thought Ipswich would struggle this season. Apparently the new boss really slated them after they went out the cup to Exeter. They are definitely there for the taking Saturday.

I'm more aware of the fact that we could very well turn up and be completely shite 1958Villan, still feeling confident about today though.

Injured for practically every minute he was here, thanks to Ciaran Clark shattering his leg in training.

That was Libor Kozak. Tonev was the Bulgarian winger we signed that same summer who attempted to shoot every time he was within 40 yards of goal. Kozak was the big lump of a centre forward who had a decent start then got crocked by Clark.

Practically every forward we've had for a couple of decades has stopped scoring, except for Big John Carew, for the same reason.
Stupid purchasing.
When we've had two wingers in the team, we've normally bought forwards who thrive on passes through the middle, on the ground.
And just the opposite when we've sold our wingers, we've employed forwards who thrive of high balls sent in from out wide.
Things aren't going to change anytime soon from what I see, we have two forwards at the moment, who thrive on balls played on the ground through the backline, into the spaces they create but, our manager is on record as saying he's looking for at least one winger.
I guess our purchasing department will never learn.

That was Libor Kozak. Tonev was the Bulgarian winger we signed that same summer who attempted to shoot every time he was within 40 yards of goal. Kozak was the big lump of a centre forward who had a decent start then got crocked by Clark.

You are right JW. It must be the Alzeimers waking up. Tonev was the guy who always came closer to hitting the corner flag than making the keeper work, ala Heskey.

I thought Ipswich would struggle this season. Apparently the new boss really slated them after they went out the cup to Exeter. They are definitely there for the taking Saturday.

They were but we didn't take it