Is Kyle Dempsey the next Andy Hessenthaler-esque legend in waiting | Page 2 | Vital Football

Is Kyle Dempsey the next Andy Hessenthaler-esque legend in waiting

I very much like what I've seen so far. He offers class on the ball, has a good shot and free kick ability, has a good engine and can put his foot in too. A good all round midfielder and so far looks a good skipper.

He'll need to hang around for a bit and keep performing to be anything like Hess and I think for him to be remembered as fondly, he'd need to be a driving force of a promotion and successful team. Hess will always be remembered for his commitment and what he did, but I think a lot of the fondness for him is linked to the fact we won things with him in the team.
Seems to pick up a lot of knocks though. Injury questiomark? Played 16/27 so far.

Last edited:
Oh no ! Rumour seems to be gaining legs and it`s understandable why the clubs mentioned would find our Kyle an attractive prospect.

From the GFC fan perspective it would be a great disappointment if he left us - Kyle`s a real quality midfielder, leader and has found some excellent form. We`d be much, much worse without him. Is the prospect of losing Dempsey a reason for the apparent quick return of O`Keefe ? Much as I like Stuart O`Keefe, IMO, he`s not yet managed to rise to the quality level of Dempsey.

Kyle`s a northern lad and a move back to a Championship club at this time might be a very good move for him personally. PNE could be favourites to lure him away.

But from GFC fans - "Hands Offfff !

I think the killer for league one teams and below was the transfer window. Up until then we, as with most clubs could spend the majority of the wages on 14/15 players, a couple of multilayer players ie Mark Saunders and the occassionail promising youngster ie Corbett, Nosworthy to bring through. Then if a player got injured we’d go out and get a similar type player on loan for a month or until the injury had cleared up.

Now every club above league, or nearly every club have a minimum squad of 25/30 plus probably Another 15/20 promising under 23. (Albeit we all know under 23 football doesn’t work) whereas before maybe they would have 30 players in total and the best were loaned out monthly for experience to the likes of Gillingham.

ore importantly this was for our benefit now the loans just seem to be for the parent clubs and players benefit.

Oh no ! Rumour seems to be gaining legs and it`s understandable why the clubs mentioned would find our Kyle an attractive prospect.

From the GFC fan perspective it would be a great disappointment if he left us - Kyle`s a real quality midfielder, leader and has found some excellent form. We`d be much, much worse without him. Is the prospect of losing Dempsey a reason for the apparent quick return of O`Keefe ? Much as I like Stuart O`Keefe, IMO, he`s not yet managed to rise to the quality level of Dempsey.

Kyle`s a northern lad and a move back to a Championship club at this time might be a very good move for him personally. PNE could be favourites to lure him away.

But from GFC fans - "Hands Offfff !

Depends if we need some hard cash to get us through the summer. Free transfer last August, sell for good money with a decent sell on percentage, that might be good business for us.

Don't see it though.

Dempsey has proved a canny signing for us already and I'd like him to stay but he will certainly attract interest as his performances are consistently good.

On the subject of him being another Hessenthaler, behave! Hess was a one off and his commitment verged on the insane, mix that up with good ability, unburstable lungs and the knack of inspiring others, managing refs, winding up opponents and fans and generally controlling football pitches and you had the ultimate game winner. He's a fan, which puts the tin lid on it. There will never be another like Hessenthaler, perhaps Dempsey will carve out his own path.

Depends if we need some hard cash to get us through the summer. Free transfer last August, sell for good money with a decent sell on percentage, that might be good business for us.

Don't see it though.

Yes, if we are strapped for cash then obviously PS would be silly not to listen to offers; our #1 aim is survival. But i`m hoping that`s not the case as, on the pitch, Dempsey is not only our engine room, he`s also tending the navigation.

Yes, if we are strapped for cash then obviously PS would be silly not to listen to offers; our #1 aim is survival. But i`m hoping that`s not the case as, on the pitch, Dempsey is not only our engine room, he`s also tending the navigation.
I think even without Dempsey, we are not threatened by relegation so if the money offered is adequate, take the dough.
The survival of the club is paramount.

Does capital gains tax apply in this case if we sell him after getting him for free?

Re the talk about Dempsey being snapped up... If we get a good offer that helps the club financially, we should take it if it means he gets a chance at Championship football (we shouldn't be selling him to a League One rival). However, if he does go, we must only let him go if we've got time to replace him, so no last minute deals - Scally should flush out any interest and make that clear early.

Re the talk about Dempsey being snapped up... If we get a good offer that helps the club financially, we should take it if it means he gets a chance at Championship football (we shouldn't be selling him to a League One rival). However, if he does go, we must only let him go if we've got time to replace him, so no last minute deals - Scally should flush out any interest and make that clear early.

Agreed. Whisper it quietly but I fear the signing of Tyreke Johnson may be precautionary.