Is Japhet Tanganga capable of being our #1 RB? | Vital Football

Is Japhet Tanganga capable of being our #1 RB?

D

Departed

This young man needs playing time. He is athletic, intelligent, and has drive.

He needs a good structure to thrive in.

IMO he is solid.

The problem cones back to our management structure.

Your move Daniel.

Like NRD I'm still unsure what he is. I don't see him as a wing back. He looks a decent RB.

He has been nicked named the son of Ledley his whole career, so maybe just play him as a CB.

Like NRD I'm still unsure what he is. I don't see him as a wing back. He looks a decent RB.

He has been nicked named the son of Ledley his whole career, so maybe just play him as a CB.
He looks a CB all day long to me. The problem is all of our CBs want to play right CB. Rodon has done well on the left but I think his natural/preferred position is on the right.

I like the kid, but do worry about his fitness record. We always seems stronger defensively when he's in at RB. He also seems a little on the short side for a centre half. Does that even matter?

I like the kid, but do worry about his fitness record. We always seems stronger defensively when he's in at RB. He also seems a little on the short side for a centre half. Does that even matter?
Yes and no. Yes, you would always want your CBs to be competitive in the air. So being a shorty is a hindrance in that respect. But less teams these days rely on long balls into the area. Certainly the top teams. So no, it's not so important.

The question really is can he become an elite-level player. He has the tools.
In answer 80 I think he has it in him to be an elite-player, esp listening to and learning from Ledley.

Regards his height, what is he? 6ft, can be corrected here, but playing as a CB it is all about judgement and decision making, which again I think he has now and can only get better/more n more experienced with playing time.

As a defender he is quality one on one. He marked Sterling out of the game this season and was epic against Mane last season.

As a wingback, not for me. CB is where he will end up surely in the long run.

I like him on the right if a back 3 with a Aarons, Walker Peters type outside him.

As a defender he is quality one on one. He marked Sterling out of the game this season and was epic against Mane last season.

As a wingback, not for me. CB is where he will end up surely in the long run.

I like him on the right if a back 3 with a Aarons, Walker Peters type outside him.

Yep that's how I see him too, but these injuries are doing real damage to his progress now.

You can have all the talent in the world but if you are consistently getting injured then at some point the club will make the decision to look elsewhere. At 22 he isn't exactly a kid breaking through anymore.

No, but he has been held back by previous managers.
Regardless of why he is where he is, it is where he is none the less. At some point the question that will be asked is, do we give that spot for a young lad with potential to the next crop of youngsters? eg. Eyoma, Lyons Foster or Lavinier

I hope he is able to get fit and stay fit next season as I like how he plays. But it is probably his last year to have the chance to make it at spurs. Then he would likely be loaned out like Carter Vickers with a view of finding a club where he will make it as a pro.

Regardless of why he is where he is, it is where he is none the less. At some point the question that will be asked is, do we give that spot for a young lad with potential to the next crop of youngsters? eg. Eyoma, Lyons Foster or Lavinier

I hope he is able to get fit and stay fit next season as I like how he plays. But it is probably his last year to have the chance to make it at spurs. Then he would likely be loaned out like Carter Vickers with a view of finding a club where he will make it as a pro.
CCV is possibly a better CB than Tanganga right now.