Is Greg Clarke suggesting Imps in the Championship? | Vital Football

Is Greg Clarke suggesting Imps in the Championship?

I think you might have made a big leap in that assertion. I am pretty confident we are in a healthier financial position than many and some clubs could very easily go to the wall without many allowances by creditors/councils/government ( taxman mainly )/TV companies/players/other staff on hefty salaries, but it would take some serious collapses for us to be playing in the Championship as and when football resumes

This is something that has crossed my mind.
The success and stability of recent seasons , achieved by such sensible running of the club, with a progressive manager at the helm and reflected by season ticket sales - has surely left us in a relatively strong position when play resumes.
Without wishing to enter into the realms of schadenfreude in terms of seeing other clubs struggle financially - surely we will be in a strong position to launch a challenge high up the L1 table?

I think you might have made a big leap in that assertion. I am pretty confident we are in a healthier financial position than many and some clubs could very easily go to the wall without many allowances by creditors/councils/government ( taxman mainly )/TV companies/players/other staff on hefty salaries, but it would take some serious collapses for us to be playing in the Championship as and when football resumes
I only start threads when there is a Clarke involved. :grinning:

Next thing you know a clutch of clubs will be getting their heads together and suggesting they all go into administration together to take the 12 point hit at the same time to create better odds of staying up. Or I wouldn't bet against clubs invoking Covid-19 as an exceptional cause to avoid any points reduction for going into admin.. For a few years ahead we are going to see incredible instability. If the EFL don't act now to revolutionise their financial rules and regs. then football deserves everything it has coming to it.

I have just read through the article and cannot see any suggestion of that, just a vague assertion that 'some clubs' will struggle to survive. Although the article is largely focused on the Premier League, I would be very surprised if there were casualties at that level. Given the huge amounts of money the bigger clubs make, I have a feeling the banks will be happy to underwrite a higher degree of debt gearing for them, at least for the time being. That will not be the case for smaller clubs which promise little or no financial return, and I suspect it will be the number of clubs in and beneath League One that will reduce.

The gambling taking place in the Championship has been known for a long time - an excellent investment if you make it to the Premier League, but a disaster if not. That must be addressed with new regulations to stop it happening, but it is the ludicrous amount of money available in the top flight that is the root cause of the gamble. Will any of those clubs now fail? It will be small numbers if so: as David Sharpe says, there always seems to be some lunatic with too much money to pick up the pieces.

Football finances, as well as the structure of the football pyramid, will need readdressing to make everything fit for purpose. If that leads to a shakeout of mercenaries and predatory agents, so much the better. Out of the worst kind of adversity, football now has an opportunity to put its financial house in order. Will it do it? It has no choice.

I have just read through the article and cannot see any suggestion of that, just a vague assertion that 'some clubs' will struggle to survive. Although the article is largely focused on the Premier League, I would be very surprised if there were casualties at that level. Given the huge amounts of money the bigger clubs make, I have a feeling the banks will be happy to underwrite a higher degree of debt gearing for them, at least for the time being. That will not be the case for smaller clubs which promise little or no financial return, and I suspect it will be the number of clubs in and beneath League One that will reduce.

The gambling taking place in the Championship has been known for a long time - an excellent investment if you make it to the Premier League, but a disaster if not. That must be addressed with new regulations to stop it happening, but it is the ludicrous amount of money available in the top flight that is the root cause of the gamble. Will any of those clubs now fail? It will be small numbers if so: as David Sharpe says, there always seems to be some lunatic with too much money to pick up the pieces.

Football finances, as well as the structure of the football pyramid, will need readdressing to make everything fit for purpose. If that leads to a shakeout of mercenaries and predatory agents, so much the better. Out of the worst kind of adversity, football now has an opportunity to put its financial house in order. Will it do it? It has no choice.

Or go back to business as usual for the top clubs, and wave goodbye to some smaller clubs as collateral damage.

The longer this goes on the more clubs will utilise the furlough system for players. For some clubs it will make a huge difference between keeping going or folding. And as Hull has said some will use this as an opportunity to enter administration and use the extraordinary circumstances argument to prevent points deductions, or probably a suspended penalty

If it is as apocalyptic as some are suggesting and more than 24 clubs go into administration then perhaps it would be fairer and simpler for the current lowest 24 placed outfits to form L2 with the higher up ones taking their place in L1 with a -12 point deduction. It would be unfair on the better run sides if a multitude of clubs were let off with zero points deducted due to Covid (handing them a clean slate on a plate) and farcical if each division had half a dozen or so clubs starting on -12.

If it is as apocalyptic as some are suggesting and more than 24 clubs go into administration then perhaps it would be fairer and simpler for the current lowest 24 placed outfits to form L2 with the higher up ones taking their place in L1 with a -12 point deduction. It would be unfair on the better run sides if a multitude of clubs were let off with zero points deducted due to Covid (handing them a clean slate on a plate) and farcical if each division had half a dozen or so clubs starting on -12.

I think the only fair solution is to promote teams that had a certain number of ST sales before the pandemic. Say around 4000?