Is Dele first 11 quality? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Is Dele first 11 quality?

I think we should give him one more season. But we need to sign an AM to help the squad. We just don't have many natural options in this position.

It's hard to disagree, but would like to see more of Gedson first. On the little we've seen, he certainly has that same athleticism and breaks the midfield lines. To me, he looks like he could play with Gio ahead of a holder but haven't seen enough to know much about his talents.

What's happening right now is that Jose has it down to 13/14 players and we will need Europa to get these guys developing.

It's hard to disagree, but would like to see more of Gedson first. On the little we've seen, he certainly has that same athleticism and breaks the midfield lines. To me, he looks like he could play with Gio ahead of a holder but haven't seen enough to know much about his talents.

What's happening right now is that Jose has it down to 13/14 players and we will need Europa to get these guys developing.

Still unsure where his best position is. I don't think even Jose knows.

I have seen one game away to Southampton in the FA Cup where he played as a CM/DM next to Winks and thought I saw some real potential.

Still unsure where his best position is. I don't think even Jose knows.

I have seen one game away to Southampton in the FA Cup where he played as a CM/DM next to Winks and thought I saw some real potential.

Borrowed a mates season tickets that day and went to the game. I remember is Gedson getting the hook after an hour and though that was slightly unfair. He put in and industrious performance and got stuck in after they had 3 against our 2 in there. I also remember getting frustrated that Gio wasn't playing central enough.

The other issue is that if Jose in the main defends deep and counter attacks as we saw with significant effect against Leicester when we saw Kane Moura and Son break at speed as a unit....then that simply is not Deli's game...he has always been too slow for that style IMO

Dele can play that break away pass, he can also arrive in support when the move breaks down when Son hangs onto the ball too long.

Your original post RD hit one of the nails on its head, his attitude has changed, I think his head got too big surrounding all the hype about him 3-4 years ago, and he's gone onto the pitch thinking he doesn't have to improve anymore. He hasn't been the same player since. I also think he's not close to being good enough in possession to effect games consistently for us or take the initiative away from the opposition when we're under pressure. To answer your question, he is not first-team quality.

On recent showings he's looked a lil of the pace. I'm aware of his injury situation, it looks to be hampering him greatly.

Jose has claimed he's ready to roll. I'd be inclined to hold him back & use him sparingly. It's an important match with much at stake but i'd be inclined to use him if needed from the bench.

Dele can play that break away pass, he can also arrive in support when the move breaks down when Son hangs onto the ball too long.
Agree there, Dele might not have the speed in his legs, as say Moura or Son, but when on song he certainly has it in speed of thought.

I'm really just hoping Jose helps Dele find his role in this team. Dele has looked a little lost this season and doesnt look like he knows whether he is a CM again or still has to be acting in the second-striker role where was so good under Poch.

He is easily good enough but he needs time and guidance to get back to fitness and form. I'm REALLY hoping he rediscovers that fire again that the media/pundits bullied out of him. I am convinced that edge is a massive part of what made him so difficult to play against.

Is Dele first 11 quality? On our current squad...well yes...simply because we are not very good. Not good enough, we need better more consistent play from the all critical mid-field.

Interesting that Jose subbed him on in place of Son, which suggests he also see's Dele in that second striker role.

Next season is going to be a massive season for Dele.

Cantwell looks like a player that would offer more than Alli but fear Spurs might be too big for him. Like it was for Siggurdson and Dempsey. The big fish in a small pond thing works for some players.

I think Eze could be very special. Similar player to Alli

Interesting that Jose subbed him on in place of Son, which suggests he also see's Dele in that second striker role.

I hope he proves me wrong...but my money is on Dele being an absolute waste for another season. We keep tying our hopes to players like him and we will go nowhere. (unfortunately we have too many inconsistent, utterly unreliable players on this team...it is going to take multiple seasons to fix our squad...)

The issue with doing that is we would be relying on Lamela to stay fit. We have 7 years of evidence he can't be trusted.

All the others you mention are different positions IMO.

We still haven't replaced Eriksen either.

The more I think about it we need a new AM. We just don't have that type of player outside Dele and Lamela and neither are the level required IMO.

Possibly Ndombele could be used more of an AM but lets be honest Jose wants him gone and looks like he will be sold to help fund any signings this summer.

I would try and sign either Brooks or Cantwell. That would fill a hole that Eriksen has left and would help Dele recover physically and mentally.

Was just about to type the same thing RD. Brooks and Cantwell will be affordable now both of their respective teams have been relegated. One of these 2 to rotate with Dele to provide him time to recuperate or just give him a kick up the arse. Its sad but i would let Lamela go if we can get some decent fee from Italy or Spain. Ndombele may as well be sold sold to generate funds as his is just not going to make it.
A DM will also allow Dele to thrive up front and we have Lo Cel, Winks and Sisoko that can do the donkey work.

If we could sign PEH, Brooks/Cantwell and Callum Wilson, although not marquee signings some good prem quality in positions we need filled and hopefully a rejuvinated Dele. Not too bad IMO

I fear it will be his last with us, unless he can overcome his continuous physical difficulties. Personally, I'd rather see him take the decision to sign himself out of contention for 3 months and try and rebuild his core flexibility as even in yesterday's short cameo it's crystal clear to me he isn't moving right.