Ireland | Vital Football

Ireland

D

Departed

Question for all you Emerals Isle residents. What are the best non touristy things too do in Ireland?

How long do you have to spend and what do you consider as something to 'do'? For example, my top tip of spending time in Ireland is having a car and driving around some of the really top beautiful spots and pulling in whenever you fancy to appreciate the view and go for walks on the beach.

Some examples of beautiful areas to a drive; Ring of Kerry, Dingle peninsula, the Causeway Coastal Route/Glens of Antrim, Achill Ireland, Connemara. Following the Wild Atlantic Way is usually a safe bet for a good scenic drive.
County Donegal has a endless list of beautiful beaches for windswept walks but it is a bit out of the way for many visitors.
If you like hill walking you can will enjoy the likes of the Mournes or the Wicklow mountains, or Diamond hill in Connemara national Park.
I presume the Giants Causeway will be mentioned in most lists. But if nature/geography is your thing, then the Burren could be interesting if you wanted to see those weird limestone rock formations and maybe visit the
If you're wanting to hear traditional music then County Clare is a safe bet to hear some good stuff. There's plenty of pubs in towns like Ennis that will have sessions on most nights of the week I think. Depending on when you're going many different towns have festivals throughout the year.
Interested in Game of Thrones then the north coast and Causeway coast is the place to go.
If interested in Irish sports the you could be interested in seeing a GAA match (eg Gaelic football, hurling). The All Ireland finals are in September in Croke park so the season usually finishes then.
If you want to go surfing then the west coast (county Galway, Mayo, Sligo) have the most popular spots.
I haven't done it, but I've heard the Black Taxi tours in Belfast are good if you want to learn more about the history of the troubles.

and make sure you get yourself a Guinness...or if you are in Cork then a Murphys!

How long do you have to spend and what do you consider as something to 'do'? For example, my top tip of spending time in Ireland is having a car and driving around some of the really top beautiful spots and pulling in whenever you fancy to appreciate the view and go for walks on the beach.

Some examples of beautiful areas to a drive; Ring of Kerry, Dingle peninsula, the Causeway Coastal Route/Glens of Antrim, Achill Ireland, Connemara. Following the Wild Atlantic Way is usually a safe bet for a good scenic drive.
County Donegal has a endless list of beautiful beaches for windswept walks but it is a bit out of the way for many visitors.
If you like hill walking you can will enjoy the likes of the Mournes or the Wicklow mountains, or Diamond hill in Connemara national Park.
I presume the Giants Causeway will be mentioned in most lists. But if nature/geography is your thing, then the Burren could be interesting if you wanted to see those weird limestone rock formations and maybe visit the
If you're wanting to hear traditional music then County Clare is a safe bet to hear some good stuff. There's plenty of pubs in towns like Ennis that will have sessions on most nights of the week I think. Depending on when you're going many different towns have festivals throughout the year.
Interested in Game of Thrones then the north coast and Causeway coast is the place to go.
If interested in Irish sports the you could be interested in seeing a GAA match (eg Gaelic football, hurling). The All Ireland finals are in September in Croke park so the season usually finishes then.
If you want to go surfing then the west coast (county Galway, Mayo, Sligo) have the most popular spots.
I haven't done it, but I've heard the Black Taxi tours in Belfast are good if you want to learn more about the history of the troubles.

and make sure you get yourself a Guinness...or if you are in Cork then a Murphys!

I'm sure you know exactly what you're talking about, but you didn't mention the word GOLF

Just saying :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I'm sure you know exactly what you're talking about, but you didn't mention the word GOLF

Just saying :LOL::LOL::LOL:
Golf....the perfect way to ruin a good walk!

haha, I've never been a fan of golf to be honest. And I do find it a bit frustrating how many good beaches & coastal walks get blocked off and the dunes all closed off all in the name of a fancy golfing resort...including by certain American politicians....but each to their own!

Although you're right, there are many a good golf courses in Ireland. But I have no idea about any of that! It might as well by cricket for all I know!

Probably a month. We will definitely have a car. And hurling and rugby sound like a plan. We prefer remoteness. Those drives with a good hike and a stay at a small inn in the area are exactly what we are looking for.

Thank you.

Well we are definitely going to spend at least a couple of days hanging around Grafton Street!

I liked Ireland but only been there once. We went across to get our dog Henry from Wexford in the South. It was lovely there, people were nice, countryside was charming and we did a small bit of travelling around to get food, visit shops and get the general feel of the south.

My impression was that Ireland’s a nice place to visit, all the better if you have decent weather.