Ipswich | Page 3 | Vital Football

Ipswich

Chairman: That's all very well Danny but you haven't had a job for a few months now, I think we would be much better off with a manager with a proven track record of taking any old job at the first opportunity.

You may mock @Chimpimp but I can only repeat what I said in the "Cowley and Dons" thread, about the case of Alan Curbishley

Over 700 games in management at a high level, with a 38% win record with Charlton and West Ham.

Hasn't had a job since 2008 when he was just 51 despite all that experience.

The reason? He said it in his own words:

“...the opportunities I was being offered didn’t really appeal to me.

“It was mostly Championship stuff. Suddenly you find that it’s been two or three years and you’re out of favour. You’re forgotten."

The "right job"?

Clubs which have changed their manager since 20th July 2020

Championship: Birmingham, Reading, Forest, Barnsley, Derby, Sheffield Wed (x2), Watford, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Bristol C

League 1: Swindon, Wigan, Shrewsbury, Sunderland, Burton, Wimbledon, Fleetwood, Northampton, Bristol R, Ipswich, Doncaster

League 2: Oldham, Scunthorpe, Southend, Salford, Mansfield, Tranmere, Bradford C, Grimsby, Port Vale, Walsall, Barrow (x2), Colchester, Leyton Orient

You may mock @Chimpimp but I can only repeat what I said in the "Cowley and Dons" thread, about the case of Alan Curbishley

Over 700 games in management at a high level, with a 38% win record with Charlton and West Ham.

Hasn't had a job since 2008 when he was just 51 despite all that experience.

The reason? He said it in his own words:

“...the opportunities I was being offered didn’t really appeal to me.

“It was mostly Championship stuff. Suddenly you find that it’s been two or three years and you’re out of favour. You’re forgotten."

Only time will tell. If you are still able to use the same argument this time next year then I might have to concede you were right.

... but I imagine there are a handful of "right clubs" they have been biding their time waiting to have a vacancy appear.

As I say time will tell.

Only time will tell. If you are still able to use the same argument this time next year then I might have to concede you were right.

... but I imagine there are a handful of "right clubs" they have been biding their time waiting to have a vacancy appear.

As I say time will tell.

I know, but it's an interesting point don't you think? That's 34 EFL clubs who have changed their manager. Exclude us and Huddersfield and that's half the entire Football League.

They'll never be appointed by Norwich, Brentford, Swansea, Stoke, Middlesbrough.

There's not an awful lot left out there.

I know, but it's an interesting point don't you think? That's 34 EFL clubs who have changed their manager. Exclude us and Huddersfield and that's half the entire Football League.

They'll never be appointed by Norwich, Brentford, Swansea, Stoke, Middlesbrough.

Sunderland job will be up for grabs again in the summer, if they'd been prepared to knuckle under to the owners demands on what was achievable they probably could have had that one..as it is they might get a slightly more amenable owner this time round...

No but there are some. If you don't need a job at the moment, you can afford to be picky.

If you have to be patient and it is "the right job" then you are vindicated.

If it never comes, I imagine Concorde Rangers would take them back.

Might even be some big clubs elsewhere in Lincolnshire who wouldn't turn there noses up, even at a manager that had been in the wilderness for a few months.

Sunderland job will be up for grabs again in the summer, if they'd been prepared to knuckle under to the owners demands on what was achievable they probably could have had that one..as it is they might get a slightly more amenable owner this time round...

I don't think the Sunderland job will be available until well into next season even if we don't go up. Obviously I'd be delighted to see the Cowley brothers unveiled at The SOL but it isn't going to happen. We'll stick with little Lee I'm afraid.

Might even be some big clubs elsewhere in Lincolnshire who wouldn't turn there noses up, even at a manager that had been in the wilderness for a few months.

Your dear neighbours Grimsby would be well advised to offer the brothers a massive bonus to keep them in the league right now. A three month contract to perform the seemingly impossible. With Hurst at the helm they're headed rapidly for The National League.

I don't think the Sunderland job will be available until well into next season even if we don't go up. Obviously I'd be delighted to see the Cowley brothers unveiled at The SOL but it isn't going to happen. We'll stick with little Lee I'm afraid.
Tbf he’s done ok with you to date and I’d suggest the new owner had a say in his recruitment
Still early days but Sunderland starting to look a promotion candidate again

Suggestion was that Johnson was the new owners pick for there, and that takeover and that takeover has only just happened so I'd expect him to be given a bit more time.......will need a good start next time round if they are still in League 1

a theory that the cowleys are avoiding a basket case job, and waiting for a decent chairman is interesting - when they chose huddersfield last time.

a theory that the cowleys are avoiding a basket case job, and waiting for a decent chairman is interesting - when they chose huddersfield last time.

cash and kudos for stopping relegation

there is a well known strategy always take the impossibly difficult job. if it pays off you look superb if it doesn’t you say well it was too difficult and the previous person left me with no chance