Ipswich v Villa - Saturday 18th August | Page 21 | Vital Football

Ipswich v Villa - Saturday 18th August

Neither Brighton or Huddersfield played sparkling football the season they got promoted and both managed to stay up. We aren't currently in the Premier League and there is no such thing as "the right way". If we do get promoted we will be in a position to buy better quality players which will enable us to play what you perceive to be more attractive football.

The right way is the Wolves and Fulham way, in terms of playing football. Which of the 3 teams that got promoted last season do you think are likely to stay up?

I am assuming you do not care if we get relegated again if we get promoted.

Any team under any manager is a reasonably strong candidate for relegation once they've been promoted to the PL. I'd hope we wouldn't be but the distinct possibility is there.

I'd rather get promoted and then be relegated than not be promoted. For a start, we'd be in a much better financial position.

Not disappointed about losing the final? You’re taking the piss right?

Clearly on different wavelengths here, as you’re not disappointed about losing the final and saying that I don’t care if we get relegated. I’d be thrilled if I got to discuss how our season in the Prem is going and whether or not a change is needed to keep us afloat in the Prem.

Yup, was not disappointed as I was expecting a defeat, and the way we played did not change my mind at all ! Unless we start playing in most games like we did vs Bristol and Wolves, i personally do not think we are going up.

Our season started on August 4th.
July 19th was when the investment was confirmed and the threat of selling Jack, Chester, Kodjia and God knows who else . So Bruce had 2 weeks pre season definitely knowing what he was going to have player wise at the start of the season . In some cases he would still not know. Just 2 weeks to then try and get players in as before hand we didn't have a pot to piss in and certainly were not going to sign anyone had Dr X been in charge.
Not an ideal pre season so might (note I said might !) explain why it's a bit disjointed so far.
And through all this Bruce maintains honesty and dignity. He deserves more time without hysteria. But he knows, we know the clock is ticking and it's now or never for him to get us up there and stay there until promotion.

Naturally, the new owners will want their man in as soon as Things looks like they won't be improving in a long term and measured way. Or as we know in foitbáll nowadays even short term reactions are a high probability

I am assuming you do not care if we get relegated again if we get promoted.

Divine islet, isn't this argument a bit pointless? Shall we actually get into the Premier League first and enjoy the journey getting promoted before we worry about how completely useless Bruce will be when we get there?

I was wondering how Koj played yesterday, I know he scored but by the sound of things nothing was sticking up front and it was hoofball and slow motion passing again ?

Divine islet, isn't this argument a bit pointless? Shall we actually get into the Premier League first and enjoy the journey getting promoted before we worry about how completely useless Bruce will be when we get there?

If you enjoy the results regardless of the performance, no problem, however for me performance and the result both matter most of the time.

The worry is, I can already foresee Wednesday night, the style of play, the formation, the tempo, the frustrations along with the moments of hope. That's without factoring in a tortuous commute after work, a dodgy cheeseburger for dinner, a ridiculously long wait for a half time drink and then gridlock on the way back home via spaghetti junction.
Would I have it any other way ?? No . This is my destiny.

The right way is the Wolves and Fulham way, in terms of playing football. Which of the 3 teams that got promoted last season do you think are likely to stay up?

The Wolves and Fulham way is the right way in your opinion, but thats all it is an opinion. There is no way of knowing if you are right or wrong for months and as I already mentioned Huddersfield and Brighton both managed to stay up without playing an attractive brand of football so there is no fact behind your argument, just an opinion on what you would like to see. The new owners have made their decsion to stick with Bruce so how about getting behind them all seeing as we have made a decent start points wise. The time for you to be coming out with this is when we are losing

I was wondering how Koj played yesterday, I know he scored but by the sound of things nothing was sticking up front and it was hoofball and slow motion passing again ?

From what I saw yesterday he was much better than the only other game I have seen which was Hull on the telly. I thought he worked hard yesterday without any support from the midfield , I can't see why we can't play further forward and get players around the centre forward.

As far as the chairman was concerned that squad had to fall apart.
I think the reason was that Ellis was scared of success because he thought it might actually mean he'd have to put his hand in his pocket.
Wasn't the reason Ron Saunders walked because he was told there'll be no investment in the squad unless the money is generated from sales.
The squad knew they were going to be broken up by the time Turner was employed and so were on the way, mentally at least, out of the door.

And by the way sirdennis, no way was anything I said meant to be patronising and if you feel patronised by anything I said, I unreservedly apologise to you.

No problem . Ellis broke up the European cup winning squad because he resented them being successful and he wasn't chairman . For years and years he refused to have any pictures or anything to celebrate our triumph and that was one of the reasons Southgate left and that was 16/17 years later.
Saunders left because of a contract dispute with the Bendalls.

The "right" way of playing is the way that best suits the players you have and enables them to win. Our problem is that we don't seem to have a clue what the right way for us is bar scoring from set prices or hoping one player can produce a moment of magic. We need to figure out the best way for the players we have then stick to it. If that's long ball or the more slick football wolves and Fulham were playing last season or something else I don't care so long as its effective because what we're doing now isn't going to be long term.

The right way of playing?? Makes it all sound so simple. Think this was Round's mistake - talked of the Villa way. Maybe he was thinking of Barcelona. Swansea had the Swansea way - until they found it wasn't so easy after all. West Ham talked of the West Ham way when they appointed Pellegrini; the West Ham way is down.

Think managers have to be pragmatic. Once the players are out on the field it's a very chancy business.

Remember that Fulham had shite results until Xmas when they managed to get Mitrovic.

Don't think it is fair to say Cardiff played shite football either - pace and power.

The disappointing thing about us is that we have seen much better from our team. Bruce will continue to get enough results to keep us in the play-off positions, but it will be an ugly spectacle and players out of position. Not enough for some of us but will it be enough for the owners?