Ipswich v Villa - Saturday 18th August | Page 22 | Vital Football

Ipswich v Villa - Saturday 18th August

Last edited:
The Wolves and Fulham way is the right way in your opinion, but thats all it is an opinion. There is no way of knowing if you are right or wrong for months and as I already mentioned Huddersfield and Brighton both managed to stay up without playing an attractive brand of football so there is no fact behind your argument, just an opinion on what you would like to see. The new owners have made their decsion to stick with Bruce so how about getting behind them all seeing as we have made a decent start points wise. The time for you to be coming out with this is when we are losing

Honestly, I have not seen Brighton nor Huddersfield play, so can't comment on the way they played. Even if you say they weren't great to watch, I am saying that teams like Wolves and Fulham are more likely to get promoted, stay up and succeed further. You may have teams like Cardiff, Brighton and Huddersfield who may go up and may stay in the prem but wont progress any further in the table and could be more likely to go down than up !

The "right" way of playing is the way that best suits the players you have and enables them to win. Our problem is that we don't seem to have a clue what the right way for us is bar scoring from set prices or hoping one player can produce a moment of magic. We need to figure out the best way for the players we have then stick to it. If that's long ball or the more slick football wolves and Fulham were playing last season or something else I don't care so long as its effective because what we're doing now isn't going to be long term.

I agree to an extent about what the right way is for a team which is based on the kind of players that they have. However if that manner of playing is likely to not bring long term success, then we need to get players in who can play football which is likely to achieve long term success.

Remember that Fulham had shite results until Xmas when they managed to get Mitrovic.

Don't think it is fair to say Cardiff played shite football either - pace and power.

The disappointing thing about us is that we have seen much better from our team. Bruce will continue to get enough results to keep us in the play-off positions, but it will be an ugly spectacle and players out of position. Not enough for some of us but will it be enough for the owners?

I agree what matters most is not what the fans think, but what the owners do !

Gator, I have been saying it since Xmas - Jack is playing as a part LB part DM, now is it him, is it Bruce - god only knows, all I know is he is crap at the position he is playing, and if he has the talent people are telling me he has, his career is going down the pan with it.

people have always slagged me off for having a go at Jack, if they would take their blinkers off , what I have always said is Jack is supposed to be a No. 10 - he even wears bloody No. 10 - so why is he constantly on the edge of our own box !!!

It HAS to be sorted, and if not, we are gong nowhere (cue, everybody slagging me off for having a go at Jack again)
Don't think Jack is ever crap tbf but when he's dropping deep to get the ball it nullifies his effectiveness for me because teams are just hacking him down before he get's anywhere near the danger zones.But agree he should playing as a genuine NO:10 for me which would also make Kodjia more effective. Obviously were only guessing who's at fault whether Bruce is telling him to drop deep or he is just doing it himself but it's driving me mad.

Absolutely mate because he's making it easy for teams to chop him down all the time.

I think he's dropping deep as it's the only way he can get on the ball . If he was higher up the pitch he'd rarely get the ball , bit like Kodija

Can't explain or rationalise this but does anyone else think we're better when Hourihane is on the pitch?

Basically Hourihane has that knack for getting into the right areas to score. He can create as well if given time and space and his set piece delivery is good mostly. He doesn't impose himself on a game at all though. Neat passer so long as its 5 yards and sideways or backwards. Not a great tackler but does put a shift in. But like Darren Bent of he's not scoring he's not doing anything that someone else wouldn't do better, most of the time anyway. Tuesday was a good example. He was awful, his normally neat passing went to pot, he looked like he couldn't be arsed and I was fuming at him. Then he pops up with the winner. He was still shit but no other midfielder we have seems to have that skill of getting into the box like him. We just have to ask is it worth occasionally having a passenger in midfield if they might get a vital goal or put in a good free kick or get someone in who will do more but is less likely to score.

I think he's dropping deep as it's the only way he can get on the ball . If he was higher up the pitch he'd rarely get the ball , bit like Kodija

This is how I see it as well. When he came back last season he was playing a bit deeper than the" number 10" position but that meant he was around hourihane, Adomah and snodgrass more so could link with them and create openings for them. This season he just seems to be forced to come deep to get the ball. Then he turns round and has a wall of defenders in his face and no forward passes on.