ipod Touch | Vital Football

ipod Touch

BEEFY

Vital Football Legend
I've never downloaded a song or an mp3 and I'm currently going through the same phase of not wanting to give up buying CD's as I went through with tapes, vinyl and video.

However, when I offered some CD's for a few of the lads at work to borrow it transpires two of the three don't even own a cd player!

So, kicking and screaming I am going to enter the world and am considering an ipod touch (so kids can also play games).

Any good?

Any alternatives?

I have a real reluctance to ever buy anything from Apple.

You can play MP3s on your phone or through the USB or bluetooth in your car. You don't need an iPod. iPods are 2005, dude.

Trekker - 15/6/2013 13:30

Yes , try a Walkman. The do a cd version not just tape b

I tried a discman the other day but when I turned the CD over to rewind the song it didn't work.

BodyButter - 15/6/2013 13:28

You can play MP3s on your phone or through the USB or bluetooth in your car. You don't need an iPod. iPods are 2005, dude.

Problem is, my phone is my phone and the rest of the BEEFY clan are not allowed access to it.

Mrs BEEFY has a phone that can just about handle text messaging and the kids want something to play music on.

I'm looking at my stacking system and the 500+ CD's and thinking about that added space if I purchased a docking station and ipod.

You know, that space could be sued to store yet more tat and crap that the kids come back from school/parties/shops with.

I download a lot of music, but I try to choose Flac files (not mpegs) which is a lossless format, and genuine CD quality sound. This means that the files are much bigger, but if you have decent broadband this isn't really an issue. If Flac is not available for a particular album I try for 320k mpegs, which are reasonable quality. I don't bother with anything less than that.

Once the download is finished I copy it onto a cd and print out the cover artwork and track listing which is available on the internet. I do have an ipod shuffle, for when I'm out and about, it is tiny, cheap and can hold several days worth of music.

My kids have IPods, problem is the memory, if you get one , you MUST get a 32gb one, the 8gb one fills up in next to no time, not worth the money in the slightest.

Then, you have the issue you have to go through I Tunes to put anything on it, an absolute ballache if ever there was one.

Seriously, stay away, just get a cheapish phone that lets you put a big memory card in, far easier, far better. I have a basic Blackberry with a 32gb mem card. I have 3400 songs and 5000 pics on it and it is not even a half full.

I wouldn't go near anything that limits your memory - total cons

Bought an ipod classic (160 gig?) about 5 years ago. I now have it in the car happy as Larry that I have thousands upon thousands of songs to listen to when driving around. In the home, I was exactly as Saurat is above until a few months ago (Flac only). I needed a new cabinet or something for all the CDs and, as I like to keep my place as minimalist as possible, I wasn't too keen on the idea. So I went out and bought a Cambridge Audio Network Music Player and stream from a nas drive. The latter is 2 TB and all music is stored as flac or wav files (occasionally 320 kbps if that's all I have). Quality is absolutely fantastic through my system (actually sounds better than the Technics CD player I was using before) and I now have more space in the living room. Also love the internet radio on the network player as well as all the podcasts you can get. Not the cheapest option by far, but I decided to plan a little longer term (if that is possible these days?!).

Beovilla - 16/6/2013 20:00

Bought an ipod classic (160 gig?) about 5 years ago. I now have it in the car happy as Larry that I have thousands upon thousands of songs to listen to when driving around. In the home, I was exactly as Saurat is above until a few months ago (Flac only). I needed a new cabinet or something for all the CDs and, as I like to keep my place as minimalist as possible, I wasn't too keen on the idea. So I went out and bought a Cambridge Audio Network Music Player and stream from a nas drive. The latter is 2 TB and all music is stored as flac or wav files (occasionally 320 kbps if that's all I have). Quality is absolutely fantastic through my system (actually sounds better than the Technics CD player I was using before) and I now have more space in the living room. Also love the internet radio on the network player as well as all the podcasts you can get. Not the cheapest option by far, but I decided to plan a little longer term (if that is possible these days?!).

I would put money on most households having a NAS in 10 years time. Just upgraded mine with 2 3Tb Hard drives, and can stream music, photos or Videos to any room in the house. It's awesome! Flac files certainly are worth it, and with storage becoming so cheap it's worth the space.

Just one addendum to my previous post. If you are listening to music through earbuds or car stereo, can you really tell the difference between Flac and MP3s (128bps)?

Yes, on a proper system, in ideal conditions, but with crappy earbuds or engine noise as background, is it so important?

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 16/6/2013 21:16

Just one addendum to my previous post. If you are listening to music through earbuds or car stereo, can you really tell the difference between Flac and MP3s (128bps)?

Yes, on a proper system, in ideal conditions, but with crappy earbuds or engine noise as background, is it so important?

Completely agree. I would never think of putting flac or similar on the car ipod.

That's what I thought. I have two versions of every audio file. MP3s are so small, it isn't a problem. There are over 2,000 songs on my phone, and I love putting it on random shuffle in the car.

Too right. I can watch any of about 500 films without moving from my Armchair, never mind the hundred or so TV Series I have on hard drive. I can even stream them to my phone or Tablet when I'm away.

It truly is awesome!!!!! I wonder how I would have coped in a previous generation?

you can upload CD's onto iTunes and put them on your iPhone or iPod, so don't think you have to spend loads of money buying music you already own! I buy CD's more than I download, i prefer having an actual thing, its more fun than owning an invisible piece of electronic data, and if I want to change my laptop it makes it a lot easier, and its easier to put CD's on in the car. If you have an iPod/iphone it means you can look around for the best deals, considering music shops often have deals on for CD's, but download's are usually cheaper than a full price CD so you can shop around. Theres 2 music shops where I live, and I think we are lucky because in most places you'd be lucky with a HMV.

Anyway, if you have a phone from the past 5-10 years I expect all of them will have a headphone port, but it varies on how much music you can put onto your phone. If you have a smart phone I expect it will have enough room for all your songs. I know the iPhone is just as capable of playing music as an iPod, thus making iPods irrelevant if you have an iPhone

My best suggestion is, if you are thinking about getting or new phone, or if your phone is quite old, buy a smart phone (doesn't have to be iPhone) and get one that is good for playing music. The iphone is the best phone, but if you get something else make sure it is Android (there aren't many phones that arent Android any more - except the windows phone which i don't know how good it is). Upload your CD's onto your computer (just put the CD in the CD tray then it does it pretty much automatically) then you will have the mp3's of your CD's which can be put onto your phone and as long as you have headphones you can listen to whenever you want.

BEEFY - 15/6/2013 15:14

BodyButter - 15/6/2013 13:28

Problem is, my phone is my phone and the rest of the BEEFY clan are not allowed access to it.

Mrs BEEFY has a phone that can just about handle text messaging and the kids want something to play music on.

I'm looking at my stacking system and the 500+ CD's and thinking about that added space if I purchased a docking station and ipod.

You know, that space could be sued to store yet more tat and crap that the kids come back from school/parties/shops with.

To be fair Beefy, if that's what you want, then an iPod is hard to beat. You can get loads of great MP3 players, but if you want a dock, then they all have limited options.

Much as I dislike Apple, an iPod sounds your best bet. Just be aware you will need to use iTunes to get your stuff onto it (I think that is still correct, but no doubt someone will correct me if they have changed).