Introduce B teams... | Vital Football

Introduce B teams...

Spursex

Alert Team
I wholeheartedly agree with this, I've been arguing for it for years....

EFL not sustainable and should introduce B teams, says Man City chief Ferran Soriano

Soriano on B teams: "Developing players in England where B teams are not allowed, we have a development gap of boys that are 17 or 18, they don't find the right place to develop and for example they are taken from us by the German teams."

Wednesday 7 October 2020 15:51, UK

skysports-manchester-city-ferran-soriano_5131172.jpg

Image: Manchester City chief executive Ferran Soriano wants B teams introduced to the EFL

Manchester City chief executive Ferran Soriano says the English Football League was not a sustainable business even before the coronavirus crisis and suggests now is the time to look at a restructure, including the introduction of B teams.

Many EFL clubs are financially reeling after the pandemic forced the closure of stadiums to fans in March, with the prospect of fans returning looking bleak amid growing numbers of cases across the country this month.

EFL clubs voted against structural reform that would have facilitated Premier League "B" teams in its divisions back in 2016, but B teams have since been introduced to the EFL Cup, while young players from the top tier can gain experience and development via the loan system.

But Sorriano, speaking to sports business conference Leaders Week, said: "One of the challenges is the EFL (is) a business that is not sustainable enough.

"They were discussing ways to improve it, they were discussing salary caps. Now they were sort of nudged, almost pushed, to solve the existing problems because of the crisis. It's a good opportunity for the different elements of the football business to get together and solve these problems.

"There are other problems; the challenges of developing players in England where B teams are not allowed, we have a development gap of boys that are 17 or 18, they don't find the right place to develop and, for example, they are taken from us by the German teams, who try to sell them back to us for a price which is 10 times what they paid.

"This is mad, right? This is something we needed to solve and now maybe the crisis will give us the opportunity and will nudge us to get together and solve these issues."

Soriano said the number of games being played in the English professional game also needs looking at, and that he was "extremely disappointed" at the Premier League decision to revert to three substitutes for the 2020/21 season instead of continuing with five.
"It was a no brainer, even more now that we are playing so many games," he said, after five substitutes were permitted when the 2019/20 season restarted in the summer.
"There was a discussion about a competitive balance issue, which ended up with the Premier League being the only big league that does not allow five substitutions. That's an example of something that goes wrong in my view."

Soriano defended his club's spending in the summer window, which included the arrivals of defenders Nathan Ake and Ruben Dias for a reported fee of over £100m combined.

"Ultimately, if you believe like we believe that Covid is just a period of time, and that we have to carry on with our business, then we have to carry on with our business," he said.
"We believe that revenues will come back. The team is the engine of our business - if we don't play good football, we have no business. We can't negate that, we can't avoid that.
"We have to take some risks and we believe that the risks we have taken are very well measured.
"I know the media just portrays the gross spending on players but you have to look at net spending. We sold a player to Bayern Munich, Leroy Sane, for €49m. We then signed a player, Ferran Torres, for €23m.
"Sometimes these things are out of context. But remember, we need to continue playing good football and if we need a central defender, we need a central defender."
The EFL declined to comment when contacted by Sky Sports News.

It really is idiotic that this hasn't been a part of English football for decades. The developmental loss is incalculable. Even as an additional revenue stream, these matches will draw a few fans.

I wouldn't be opposed to the 5man/3 instance sub rule being made permanent, and amended the the FIFA Rules of the Game. Might keep a few top players on the pitch longer.

Back when I first started getting involved in football , we had the first team , reserve team in the football combination league . Reserve reserve team in the South East Counties League and the Youth team . Any one of the players in any of the teams were interchangeable.
It all worked well , although there weren’t any substitutions back then . If a first team player was injured , there was a ready made , fully match fit replacement for the following week .

I am totally for it as well. Always have been.

What I would like to see is football played UK wide in the top 2 divisions and as you move down the football ladder it all becomes regional. That should incorporate B teams who can't get promoted to those top leagues. I also would like to see age restrictions on the B sides to force those players to either move up or move out. I would absolutely include Scotland in this new structure.

I would also only be prepared to allow the Prem sides to have their B sides if the FAPL Ltd (aka The Premier League) was disbanded completely and we move back to one central governance body for football. I'd break the TV companies monopoly in the process.

:thumbup:
I am totally for it as well. Always have been.

What I would like to see is football played UK wide in the top 2 divisions and as you move down the football ladder it all becomes regional. That should incorporate B teams who can't get promoted to those top leagues. I also would like to see age restrictions on the B sides to force those players to either move up or move out. I would absolutely include Scotland in this new structure.

I would also only be prepared to allow the Prem sides to have their B sides if the FAPL Ltd (aka The Premier League) was disbanded completely and we move back to one central governance body for football. I'd break the TV companies monopoly in the process.

No one would support that. Too many vested interests. And TV is the lifeblood of English football.

:thumbup:

No one would support that. Too many vested interests. And TV is the lifeblood of English football.

We all know that because everyone is in it for themselves. Which is why I would veto it if I were the EFL. All would happen is a new rate would be negotiated by the TV companies for 2nd tier games and we'd watch the B-team NLD as opposed to being neutrals watching a Championship Game. That would mean they eventually get even less money and the gap would widen. The big clubs would still be poaching all of the lower teams best players, They would no longer be loaning them out and instead be putting them in their B team.

Just feels wrong to me. So what if clubs like Man City and even Spurs lose out on a few gems. In the long run thats good for the game. Chelski based there entire funding model on filling their boots with young talent who had 0.000001% chance of ever playing for chelsea with a view to just selling moderate talent at £5,6,7m a time. Man City cant spot the talent or they havent got the room for someone special. Well screw them and let the kid move to a club who can nurture the player properly.

Then we get the insult to the 5th most supported league in Europe. It was on Talkshite yesterday that the EFL is only behind the Prem, Italy, Germany, Spanish leagues in terms of support. From that i take it the scottish leagues are nowehere near. Imagine the uproar if Man city suggested using Rangers as their acadamy/B team.

I am sick to death of these short term visions of improving things which in the long term will only ever REDUCE our abilities to support our clubs against these mega wealthy bullies.

What about starting the old Combination league again as part of the B team structure, I watched quite a few of these games back in the 90s, good entertainment and witnessed several big name players progress from there.

Weren't they played on on regional basis leagues, North and South?

It just strikes me as a big club versus little smaller club arguement. The same with pay per view. Not only does It result in fans likely paying more for less but also would probably mean smaller clubs get even less TV money.

Might be good for getting top English talent playing for a small number of top clubs but not so good for the overall health of the game in England.

His argument comes from Sancho leaving to play football in Germany where he would have a chance. But it is silly as from the day he left he was showing he was ready. He didn't move to a small German team. He moved to the 2nd biggest club in the country. The problem was City didn't show enough faith to create a path to first team football for him. That is their fault, not anyone else.