Interview with LR | Page 3 | Vital Football

Interview with LR

It's funny you say that, because Roberto Martinez did exactly this at Swansea. Walked out of his playing club at the time and retired effective immediately to take the Swansea City job in L1. Despite having zero managerial experience, he had them playing tika taka like Pep's Barcelona and won the league in his first full season. Thus "the Swansea way" was born and has been a model stuck with by the club to this day when it comes to appointing managers.

So it can definitely be done.

Agreed.

In football having more naturally gifted players obviously helps greatly - but a good manager can certainly get great things out of bang average players if they can succesfully implement a good method of play and motivate their players.

When you watch the top teams the moments of individual brilliance often gets the attention and you can't replicate that but many of the attributes of successful sides at all levels end up quite similar and those you can replicate.

I think if someone like Klopp or Guardiola somehow ended up working in L1 on a shoe string they'd immediately introduce a lot of the ideas they currently use in terms of their approach to pressing, fitness, movement, organisation and shape. While it obviously wouldn't be to the same standard as they produced with better players and the transition may take a little time for players to adapt - I believe they'd end up with a team that had the same basic methodology / mechanics and it would be succesful.

I think that the game often looks at the quality of player as being more important than the quality of coaching when it is often the other way round.

Agreed.

In football having more naturally gifted players obviously helps greatly - but a good manager can certainly get great things out of bang average players if they can succesfully implement a good method of play and motivate their players.

When you watch the top teams the moments of individual brilliance often gets the attention and you can't replicate that but many of the attributes of successful sides at all levels end up quite similar and those you can replicate.

I think if someone like Klopp or Guardiola somehow ended up working in L1 on a shoe string they'd immediately introduce a lot of the ideas they currently use in terms of their approach to pressing, fitness, movement, organisation and shape. While it obviously wouldn't be to the same standard as they produced with better players and the transition may take a little time for players to adapt - I believe they'd end up with a team that had the same basic methodology / mechanics and it would be succesful.

I think that the game often looks at the quality of player as being more important than the quality of coaching when it is often the other way round.

I tend to disagree simply on the amount of managers who have started in management at high levels early on in their careers and had some success, yet in their later years move to lower league clubs and fail because they try to make inferior players play to a similar style to the ones they had at their peak.

I seriously doubt that Guardiola could get the players we had last season playing a similar style to the way city play. It would take an immense effort to get them fit enough and instil the knowledge and tactics to make them understand the system. Managers have styles and systems that they play to and find it hard to adapt and therefore I have no doubt that if Guardiola were to find himself in charge of a L1 club he would still want to play to his beliefs.

I am not saying that either Klopp, Guardiola or even Mourinho are not good coaches, I am simply saying that you can only polish a turd so much.

I believe that by trying to get the players to play to the higher standard a coach like Guardiola would be frustrated and lose faith, he would also be competing against managers and coaches familiar with the standard who would set up their players to play destructive football and further frustrate him.

I tend to disagree simply on the amount of managers who have started in management at high levels early on in their careers and had some success, yet in their later years move to lower league clubs and fail because they try to make inferior players play to a similar style to the ones they had at their peak.

I seriously doubt that Guardiola could get the players we had last season playing a similar style to the way city play. It would take an immense effort to get them fit enough and instil the knowledge and tactics to make them understand the system. Managers have styles and systems that they play to and find it hard to adapt and therefore I have no doubt that if Guardiola were to find himself in charge of a L1 club he would still want to play to his beliefs.

I am not saying that either Klopp, Guardiola or even Mourinho are not good coaches, I am simply saying that you can only polish a turd so much.

I believe that by trying to get the players to play to the higher standard a coach like Guardiola would be frustrated and lose faith, he would also be competing against managers and coaches familiar with the standard who would set up their players to play destructive football and further frustrate him.

I think the example of coach dropping levels and struggling to work with less talented players is more a sign of a poor coach rather than a good coach being let down by his players. With any early success more likely being down to having players good enough to compensate for their limited coaching ability (a bit like Caldwell).

I think Klopp and Guardiola would be successful at any club as they are that good they'd get the best out of what they had and improve the players individually.

I think the example of coach dropping levels and struggling to work with less talented players is more a sign of a poor coach rather than a good coach being let down by his players. With any early success more likely being down to having players good enough to compensate for their limited coaching ability (a bit like Caldwell).

I think Klopp and Guardiola would be successful at any club as they are that good they'd get the best out of what they had and improve the players individually.

Don't see Foden being half the player he is under Pep and team than say Big Sam and Sammy Lee, probs would get sold off for not having the physique.

The reality of being in administration laid bare.

'In pre-season, we had lads leaving for medicals halfway through a game. I don't know how the information was getting through but they'd come off at half-time and say they had to be in Manchester for a medical and couldn't play the second half.

How do you plan and build with things like that going on ?

Wonder which player that was - anyone got any suggestions?

The fact admin sold the training ground but didn't even agree a few days grace to move out in an orderly fashion I think sums up their negotiating skills.

The article speaks volumes about Richardson having a sense of honour and responsibility by sticking through the bullshit at a time no one else would. Can't fault his integrity in a game where there isn't much these days.

The best recent example of a manager who literally changed a football team overnight through his own personal style of play/management was Bielsa at Leeds. He took over a bottom half bog standard Championship side, made pretty much zero notable signings and turned them into automatic promotion contenders over the course of one pre season. I remember watching their first game of the season vs newly relegated Stoke and was blown away at how good they were. Many of those players who are still at the club now having successfully made the step up to Premier League level owe their careers to him.

The fact admin sold the training ground but didn't even agree a few days grace to move out in an orderly fashion I think sums up their negotiating skills.

That was my first thought on reading that too. That and what a bunch of arses PNE were in demanding that timescale despite admitting themselves that they couldn’t believe what a low price they’d been offered it for - which brings us back to the admins negotiating skills

Wonder which player that was - anyone got any suggestions?

Just had a look at our preseason, we only played 3 official games, no player that was sold came off after 45 mins in any of the games.

Also none of the potential players sold went to a club in the north west so it would seem it would be strange for them to go to Manchester for a medical.

So i am wondering if it's a behind closed doors game and a trialist who wasn't under contract. We had Beckles training with us, maybe it was someone like him going to Crewe.

Why would be blame the player for admin agreeing to sell them at half time in a game?
Because this is a discussion board and they'd be many speculations and also speculations about players only performing to get noticed to get away from a "sinking ship" etc.
I have seen players being criticised unfairly/discussed disparagingly on here with no solid facts to back them up and people then take them as truth if repeated too many times. Hence mud sticks etc....

Because this is a discussion board and they'd be many speculations and also speculations about players only performing to get noticed to get away from a "sinking ship" etc.
I have seen players being criticised unfairly/discussed disparagingly on here with no solid facts to back them up and people then take them as truth if repeated too many times. Hence mud sticks etc....

it's a message board with about 20 regular posters talking about a player who went a year ago, i don't think it's an issue.