Interview with LR | Page 2 | Vital Football

Interview with LR

As for the best man for the job, it might take a bit of convincing to get Pep Guadiola to come to the Latics.

You also know full well what i mean by best man for the job, seeing as the post wasn't advertised, we'll never know who would have applied for the managers job.

No one wants Richardson to succeed more than me i just can't see it happening, i was totally baffled when he got the job before the end of the season, for me it was the easiest and cheapest option, fingers crossed its not "start as we mean to go on"

Richardson went public on more than one occasion to say he didn't want the job full time/permanently, i wonder what changed his mind?

You also know full well what i mean by best man for the job, seeing as the post wasn't advertised, we'll never know who would have applied for the managers job.

No one wants Richardson to succeed more than me i just can't see it happening, i was totally baffled when he got the job before the end of the season, for me it was the easiest and cheapest option, fingers crossed its not "start as we mean to go on"

Richardson went public on more than one occasion to say he didn't want the job full time/permanently, i wonder what changed his mind?

He said he didn't want it before Sheridan came. I don't recollect him saying that after Sheridan left. What brought about the change was probably him thinking "well I can do a feckin' better job than yon mon"!

After all he's gone through, and done for Wigan Athletic this season, what message would it have sent if he hadn't been given a crack at the job?

I don't think anyone's suggesting it's his for life, or even that he's definitely going to be a success. ...... he just deserves a crack, and then a fair chance.

Right so that's that cleared up then, Richardson has been given the job on sentiment and gratitude for his efforts rather than being the best man for the job.

You may disagree that he is the right man for the job (i admit i'm skeptical myself) but I don't think the new owners would hire Richardson on sentiment or gratitude alone - if they gave him the job they must have faith he will do well next season. The new board aren't going to lose money and risk another season like this by going with a manager that they don't believe in but feel they need to give him a deal out of a sense of duty. So they must have a lot of faith in him based on the job he did keeping us up. If that faith is justified is up for question (and you make a reasonable point about if the 4 wins in a row have disproportionately influenced the judgement) but i think we have to assume their faith is genuine.

Time will tell if he is a bad manager who just had a timely good spell that wont last into next season, or if he is developing into a good manager and the improved form was it all clicking and will continue. It's the new ownerships first big decision so they don't have a track record to second guess how good their judgement in - all we can do is hope they got it right and see how it goes.

If you call winning four games on the bounce deserving a crack then fine, we were a bloody shambles most of the season even under Richardson.

No matter how many times you say this (at least 3 from my recollection), it's no nearer being right.

I've no doubt that those wins helped, but before that, he'd got us from being points adrift at the bottom, to being in with a chance of our destiny being in our own hands.

I'd say we had some games that were shambles, some games where we were really unlucky, some games where we fought for our lives, and some games where we saw flashes of what might be.

For keeping us up - with a game to spare - he deserves a crack. If you can't see this, then you need to get yersel to Specsavers.
;)

And look what happened in that "game to spare" a lot of folk reckoned it would go to the last game of the season, glad it didn't..........Shambles!

I'm giving you credit for not being thick enough to believe that had that last game mattered, we'd have approached the game like we did and made all those substitutions ........ so :fish:

Any road, it didn't.

I'm giving you credit for not being thick enough to believe that had that last game mattered, we'd have approached the game like we did and made all those substitutions ........ so :fish:

Any road, it didn't.

If the game didnt matter then we the fans should have got the match stream for free.

We were charged a tenner for a piss take!

Tree and clown ,on and on you go blah!! blah!! blah!! Same old dribble .The last game had nothing riding on it,thus different players being given a chance.lets see what the summer brings and how the manager and the team get on next season.hopefully they will improve and move up the league " up the tics". Ps ,please don't bore with a reply 🤞🤞

If you call winning four games on the bounce deserving a crack then fine, we were a bloody shambles most of the season even under Richardson.

Seriously..no don't laugh T&C but seriously have you read the Daily Mail article that TB posted and the turmoil / upheaval / disruption that Leam had to deal with?? There's also probably other stuff gone on that he can't say but just on the Daily mail piece alone he has done remarkably well & more than deserves a shot at being the man in charge next season. Now I've not heard anyone say he's gonna be brilliant, do this that or the other but what majority are saying is he has earned his chance so why not just wait and see.....if it goes Tics / Tits up then you can come back on ( perhaps as T&C or in another guise) and gloat, say I told you so & we will all have to bow to your superior insight....😉

Lets really push the boat out and keep the squad of players that managed to keep us up this season.
Don't they deserve the chance to have a crack at League 1 next season?

Lets really push the boat out and keep the squad of players that managed to keep us up this season.
Don't they deserve the chance to have a crack at League 1 next season?

I suspect (well, I know) that your're really takin' t' piss here, but I've already said that I'd be happy to see a majority of those who started on saturday being given a place in the squad for next season.

Nice one T&C.
(y)

I suspect (well, I know) that your're really takin' t' piss here, but I've already said that I'd be happy to see a majority of those who started on saturday being given a place in the squad for next season.

Nice one T&C.
(y)

Of course i'm taking the piss!

If people are saying Richardson deserves a crack at next season then so should the playing squad.

Job done, no need to sign anyone else, get this lot on the payroll and have a relaxing summer.

Of course i'm taking the piss!

If people are saying Richardson deserves a crack at next season then so should the playing squad.

Job done, no need to sign anyone.

You have no sense whatsoever of "nuance" do you. Put your toys back in, cos no-one's saying we don't need to sign "anyone". However, many of the lads who performed this season do (some think) deserve new contracts.

Those, along with some (not loads) new players, a quality loan or two, and maybe even a couple of Academy players who are a year older should see us fine next season.

By the way, I was taking the piss with my "(y)" too........ just in case you weren't aware.

No no no, the full squad of players did just as much as the coach, they should be given the same opportunity.

No double standards please.

No no no, the full squad of players did just as much as the coach, they should be given the same opportunity.

No double standards please.

See. No nuance. Yes, they all played a part in keeping us up, but that doesn't follow that they all deserve a new contract ... based on contribution, age, competition for position, etc.

Nuance.

In my honest opinion Jonnysking, Pep Guardiola would struggle to manage a team in the lower leagues. It is a different animal to coaching and managing players at the higher echelons of the PL. You are having to contend with players of lesser skill and the fact that you cannot spend obscene amounts of money to bring in players to play the way you want .

Could you imagine trying to play the systems and style that Man City play with L1 level players ?

I seriously doubt that any manager who has not had a grounding in the lower leagues could walk into a L1 club and have a successful season. They would have problems communicating their ideas to players, especially players who do not have the same skills as PL players to carry out the ideas.

I think that is part of the problem Rooney is having at Derby.
It's funny you say that, because Roberto Martinez did exactly this at Swansea. Walked out of his playing club at the time and retired effective immediately to take the Swansea City job in L1. Despite having zero managerial experience, he had them playing tika taka like Pep's Barcelona and won the league in his first full season. Thus "the Swansea way" was born and has been a model stuck with by the club to this day when it comes to appointing managers.

So it can definitely be done.

It's funny you say that, because Roberto Martinez did exactly this at Swansea. Walked out of his playing club at the time and retired effective immediately to take the Swansea City job in L1. Despite having zero managerial experience, he had them playing tika taka like Pep's Barcelona and won the league in his first full season. Thus "the Swansea way" was born and has been a model stuck with by the club to this day when it comes to appointing managers.

So it can definitely be done.

Ever heard of a "flash in the pan"?