Internet Nonsense & Sense N/G | Vital Football

Internet Nonsense & Sense N/G

jogills

Vital Football Hero
I periodically chunter on about grandchildren trawling youtube etc for nonsense and amusement. After watching this video I'm a convert. What a great story and how wonderful is J.E. Lovelock. He comes in at 5.43 if you want to get to the meat.

I periodically chunter on about grandchildren trawling youtube etc for nonsense and amusement. After watching this video I'm a convert. What a great story and how wonderful is J.E. Lovelock. He comes in at 5.43 if you want to get to the meat.

Great story, well told, although the end came as a great disappointment. Surely there are ways around the problem of scale, in principle at least.

The popping light bulbs reminded me of a Bradford trolleybus story, if you can stand it. Bradford was unusual in letting trams and trolleybuses share the same overhead -trams using the positive wire where both types of vehicle ran- instead of separate set ups like Manchester, for example. It was cheaper, lighter on the supporting traction poles and less cluttered. Well, they bought a batch of trolleybuses with regenerative braking systems much like on electric cars today, only instead of topping up the battery, they put electricity back into the overhead. Compared to the old 1920's trams, the trolleybuses were powerful vehicles. Running down Bradford's hills, they'd put the juice back into the overhead delivering a turbo effect to the trams and causing their lightbulbs to explode over the passengers.