Interesting stat | Vital Football

Interesting stat

OneSirKeefy

Vital Football Hero
TheThirdTier twitter account (they do some good stuff) tweeted the following today -

———————————————————
Despite their criticisms, Gillingham sit 14th in the league one for long balls played🤯. With an average of 78 per game

Less than teams such as:
Sunderland 🔴⚪
Ipswich 🔵⚪
Charlton 🔴⚪
Blackpool 🟠⚪

The most:
Swindon- 98 PG 🔺

————————————————

So basically, we are just about mid-table bog-standard League 1 when it comes to playing “long ball”. I know that figure would look worse as a percentage of our total passes what with our low possession stats. But doubt it’s that much different.

And there’s me thinking we were the worst by a long margin. Go figure.

I’m not too surprised. I think the long ball monicker comes from historical reasons more so than the way we play these days. And of course other fans always need a reason to defend losing to the likes of little old Gillingham.
Obviously we do still go long sometimes, and Jackson lobs the ball into the box at every available opportunity.
Yet as I posted a Few months ago, the day after we scored a goal that went From Bonham to back of the net in 3 passes and about 5 seconds. I watched Liverpool do the exact same thing. We were lambasted as long ball by opposition fans, whilst I thought Gary Neville and Martin Tyler were never gonna shut up about “the exquisite counter attack prowess of the champions” the only difference was we had Big V and Jordan Graham doing it. They had Shaquri and Mo Salah.

I’m not too surprised. I think the long ball monicker comes from historical reasons more so than the way we play these days. And of course other fans always need a reason to defend losing to the likes of little old Gillingham.
Obviously we do still go long sometimes, and Jackson lobs the ball into the box at every available opportunity.
Yet as I posted a Few months ago, the day after we scored a goal that went From Bonham to back of the net in 3 passes and about 5 seconds. I watched Liverpool do the exact same thing. We were lambasted as long ball by opposition fans, whilst I thought Gary Neville and Martin Tyler were never gonna shut up about “the exquisite counter attack prowess of the champions” the only difference was we had Big V and Jordan Graham doing it. They had Shaquri and Mo Salah.
I dont think Mo Salah accidentally controlled the ball with the back of his neck though (a la Oliver in that goal you mention).

The original point still stands though AK. As a club that’s classed as unfashionable in most fans eyes we will always be Dirty, long ball Gillingham. Even if some seasons the label is unjustified.

Whereas a historically bigger, well known, classier club can get away with long balling it on occasion, and it will get described completely differently.

I couldn’t remember the opposition in either game I mentioned or indeed too much of the build ups, Just remember quoting on it at the time. However now you mention it I do recall the ball hitting Vs neck. Even greater goal for us in that case. 👍

Both of Blackpool goals against Swindon last week were long balls over the top.
Our defence must be aware and don’t press too high.
Hopefully Cundy will be back.

To be fair, the Ogilvie goal vs Charlton was just a big hoof from about 25 yards. Probably had his eyes shut 😉

Reckon you're right Nobby, was just a hoof into the box trying to put it onto Oliver's head.

With the speed it was going, it's probably just as well for Oliver that it didn't land on his head.

I’m not that surprised. I think the reason it looks like we play more long balls than others teams is that we do it well and are dangerous and create a lot of goals from long balls, throws and other set pieces, so I guess it stands out and grates with other teams. In recent games, for example, both Charlton and Hull away smashed plenty of long balls rather than getting it down, but didn’t do it wel. I remember I in the Charlton game their excellent co-comm, Paul Mortimer, saying just that - i.e. that our long balls were aimed to our players and generally directed at big men whereas there’s were just running out of ideas and hit and hope.

Problem is, some commentators and fans can't distinguish between "long ball" and "direct". Some of our highlights I've seen from this season have shown some great counter attacking play which has involved getting the ball up front quickly. That's direct play, not long ball which is more of a hopeful punt forwards.

Our style of play at times is infuriating, bizarrely I think we have more then enough talented individuals who could play a more attractive style of football. It is however effective, I think back to mk dons this season who I think set a record for continuous passes but the majority of which were played across the back four and in their own half, similarly Doncaster at home last year when we beat them convincingly, they played out from the back and did nothing threatening with it.

I don’t know if anyone saw the Tottenham game today, tried to play out if the back pressed by Newcastle and a goal scored due to the press and a mistake led to a goal- reminded me of how GFC play when we press so high up the pitch

That is a good collage of well worked goals but can anyone honestly say there aren't also a number of 'punts' forward from the likes of Tucker, Ogilvie and O'Connor every game? Our game plan is clearly to get it forward early to the front men, let's not pretend otherwise.

That is a good collage of well worked goals but can anyone honestly say there aren't also a number of 'punts' forward from the likes of Tucker, Ogilvie and O'Connor every game? Our game plan is clearly to get it forward early to the front men, let's not pretend otherwise.

I fully agree there. But if it’s the “plan” then It’s not just “hoofball”.

I hate that term. It implies that when we have the ball, we have no idea except to just “hit and hope”. And that is far from the case, other than where a defender is under pressure.

We all know that we are generally long ball and direct. I’ve said elsewhere the bit that grates with me is when other teams fans just don’t see that their side is just as long ball but not as good

The few sides that play passing football in this league are mainly in the bottom half. Crewe, MK and Rochdale being 3 good examples. Lincoln possibly the only exception from what I’ve seen.

And a lot of the teams in the top 10 can be just as direct as us, but have a few classier players to make them look better on occasions.

The original point still stands though AK. As a club that’s classed as unfashionable in most fans eyes we will always be Dirty, long ball Gillingham. Even if some seasons the label is unjustified.

It's not Dirty Longball "Gillingham" that's the key, it's that we're managed by Dirty Longball Steve Evans.

I remember when we used to be called Gillinghoof on a few early boards when Pulis was in charge.

They both built careers on attritional styles, so that's all people care about, regardless of whether their new clubs are playing differently at all.

When we had Taylor in charge first time round, we were lauded for good passing play, as we were mostly when Hessy was in charge in the Champ, it's normally the coach.

I simply don't think anyone cares about us enough to automatically place a "style" on us.