Inter Milan vs Tottenham | Page 11 | Vital Football

Inter Milan vs Tottenham

We're having a bad spell, with players out of form, tactics not clicking on the pitch and basic errors being made in each of our last few matches.

Poch has always got us out of bad spells before, if he still has the dressing room I expect to see a real difference vs Brighton.

Critical_Spur, 10Hoddle, raphaellau, Real Deal, you are all spot on.

Talking about last night's game I believe that MP has failed once again to adapt his tactics to address effectively the situation and the conditions emerged in the game during the last minutes and defend a leading in the score and an important win.
This didn't happen for the first time and it means that he is incapable of addressing such situations.
Also the poor form of some of our players as well the lack of new appropriate additions to the squad during the summer transfer period had played a role in last night's defeat.

My opinion about the club and winning silverware remains the same as it was last few years: in order Spurs to win titles and trophies they need new ambitious with winning silverware owners who have the financial and managerial ability to achieve that target (the most important factor) and a new football intelligent manager.

Can I go on the record with NO WAY did TA fight KT that would be the quickest fight in history and be deeply out of character for both of them. Someone needs to hospitalize Eric Deir mind. I'm thinking Victor Wanyama for the good of all concerned

Talking about last night's game I believe that MP has failed once again to adapt his tactics to address effectively the situation and the conditions emerged in the game during the last minutes and defend a leading in the score and an important win.
This didn't happen for the first time and it means that he is incapable of addressing such situations.
Also the poor form of some of our players as well the lack of new appropriate additions to the squad during the summer transfer period had played a role in last night's defeat.

My opinion about the club and winning silverware remains the same as it was last few years: in order Spurs to win titles and trophies they need new ambitious with winning silverware owners who have the financial and managerial ability to achieve that target (the most important factor) and a new football intelligent manager.
I totally agree. . The board are an obstacle put Mopo is now nearly as big a problem. The managers flaws as you have repeatedly pointed out are out weighing his pluses. The point is that I think another manager would have won an FA cup or league cup with this side already. My big big fear is he is fired and we get the wrong coach in off my head I can see Levy getting Martinez!!!! The were really sunk.

First half was messy, uncoordinated and devoid of structure.

But whatever Poch showed/pointed out to them at half-time, did the trick.

We were hugely impressive in the second half and were on the front foot and looking to win the game; our mentality was better, our passing and movement was better and we had them under the cosh.

We deserved the lead, we unquestionably should have put them to the sword and wrapped the game up.

But a Worldly goal from almost nothing was an unfair punishment and losing as we did was gutting.

We could all dissect why we lost and each theory would be different.

I'm not despondent about this at all - in the second half we looked all over a CL team again - what we were missing is that cutting edge - in and around the box.

The second 45 was a bell weather of what we are really capable of.

Poch, may just have them firing again shortly, of course he may not and he'll unquestionablt pay the price if he hasn't, but there was enough there to be encouraged.

We were hugely impressive in the second half and were on the front foot and looking to win the game; our mentality was better, our passing and movement was better and we had them under the cosh.

We deserved the lead, we unquestionably should have put them to the sword and wrapped the game up.

But a Worldly goal from almost nothing was an unfair punishment and losing as we did was gutting.

I'm not despondent about this at all - in the second half we looked all over a CL team again - what we were missing is that cutting edge - in and around the box.

Poch, may just have them firing again shortly, of course he may not and he'll unquestionablt pay the price if he hasn't, but there was enough there to be encouraged.
"what we were missing is that cutting edge - in and around the box."

"Paging Harry Kane call for MR H Kane"!

"what we were missing is that cutting edge - in and around the box."

"Paging Harry Kane call for MR H Kane"!

I'm getting pissed off with Harry treating us like idiots, every time he's asked about his fitness or tiredness he waffles on about no problems there, I'm feeling fit and sharp.
Why doesn't one journo have the balls to say well if that's the case, what is the problem then as your stats for everything are on the floor compared to previous seasons.

At last an alternative view . Inter tired towards the end of the first half and we started to get into the game. Our passing was sloppy and nervous. Second half we improved but a worldy and second phase corner did us. According to most on here it was Vorms fault .I was as gutted as everyone else but my eyes and brain are not clouded by irrational anger seeking a scapegoat.

Should have, could have, the story so far with Poch....the squad has holes in it that we can all see and Poch’s tactical nous seems to be rooted in possession at the expense of attack...maybe no one can galvanise this team but I don’t think it is going to happen anytime soon...no cutting edge as you identified, hampered by Kane, and Dier and Dembele...enough said.

I didn't see the game as I was travelling however I have heard we had some good moments in the game. I have also seen that Dier is getting slated again on some social media pages.
I am not sure what has happened to him, he was awful against Liverpool last weekend IMO. 2 or 3 years ago he was being bigged up as England's Busquets but now he is more like Eric Djemba Djemba. His possession and touch have been rubbish.
Everytime he or Dembele lost the ball Liverpool were onto us and tore us apart. They looked like they could score everytime the went forward.

We cannot have a cutting edge up front if the style of play we adopt is so negative. Only once Mouro came on did we really see a player wanting to take on and beat defenders and get the ball into the danger area. How many times did our players pass in triangles so the ball ended up where it started...in our half of the pitch...so the opposition can have a cup of tea and still get into defensive positions before the ball gets anywhere near their area. No wonder Harry is not firing...what opportunites apart from one obvious one was created for him. We are boring and negative to watch...I hate the current style of play we are adopting. Especially as our defenders cannot keep clean sheets either.

I hear a ton of back and forth on Vorm...yeah he is some fault on his shoulders...but damn guys we have WAY bigger problems then Vorm. We have problems all over the pitch to deal with and hopefully correct.

When he took Lamela off we stopped any forward pressing. Simple bad choice of sub for the manager. He would have been better served having Son, Lucas and lamela buzzing around pressing.

Anyhow, in isolation barring the last 5 mins or so we played quite well in second half.

I'm getting pissed off with Harry treating us like idiots, every time he's asked about his fitness or tiredness he waffles on about no problems there, I'm feeling fit and sharp.
Why doesn't one journo have the balls to say well if that's the case, what is the problem then as your stats for everything are on the floor compared to previous seasons.

But a read of this board would show it's mostly correct to treat us like idiots. :p

We cannot have a cutting edge up front if the style of play we adopt is so negative. Only once Mouro came on did we really see a player wanting to take on and beat defenders and get the ball into the danger area. How many times did our players pass in triangles so the ball ended up where it started...in our half of the pitch...so the opposition can have a cup of tea and still get into defensive positions before the ball gets anywhere near their area. No wonder Harry is not firing...what opportunites apart from one obvious one was created for him. We are boring and negative to watch...I hate the current style of play we are adopting. Especially as our defenders cannot keep clean sheets either.

I think you're reading that the wrong way.

Italian teams are masters of the dark arts, ref's still let them get away with it.

The alternative view is; we contained them in the first half and restricted them to not very much, they were the home team and for long periods we let them run themselves out.

In the second half for almost 40 mins we had them running in circles and achieving nothing, we struck, we scored and then should/could have 3 possibly four more, brought about in art by our substitutions who could run in behind and into the spaces.

In all credit to them they scored an equaliser against the run of play - it was 1:100 shot.

Tactically up until that point in the second half we were crushing them - our tactical weakness came from playing 'keep ball' without looking to make the incisive forward pass/run from midfield that would have allowed us to capitalise on our lead.

But as we well know Inter will punish anyone that sits back and trys to defend against them at home.

The issue for me is one of footballing intelligence and leadership being displayed when it's need the most.

Dier should be that man/player but I have never ever seen him play so much with his back to the oppositions ball! His body shape when receiving the ball reminds me of some of the kids that are having it coached out of them at an academy!

For me, he is our weakness now, even his screening efforts and defending at set pieces - once one of his strengths have waned and he looks utterly drained.

Some of this group of players are now suffering from fatigue that's deeply rooted in the level and amount of football they've played - and we're seeing the effects of it now.

I've seen it too many times in too many excellent players not to notice it.

Poch must see it too, which is why when we didn't bolster the midfield (also given the injuries we had) I know we'd find getting in a stride tougher than ever.

Poch's decision to only accept his no.1 choices on his no.1 list is Brave, but it may ultimately be stupid and self defeating.

I was at an agents conference a little while back; every agent is now saying that the market has changed - they now know that by encouraging players to go as far into their contract as they can, that they have the buying clubs over a barrel.

Inflation in the PL fees for bringing in overseas players over last years valuations was just under 90%.

Around 50% of these inflated fees can now end up in an agents pocket.

You'll see alot more of it over the next 3-4 years and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Adding real quality players now will mean that some clubs will take gambles that may well bust them or lead them into dire financial straits - even Real Madrid and Barca are in a financial mess with ever growing massive debts.

The issue for us is we well know that Levy & Co will not take gambles like that; one view is the market has to calm down and become more rational (it's not one I share).

FIFA and UEFA who washed their hands of agent registration and allowed it to become a free for all (and these fees are the result) are now both urgently eyeing the deals and working our how they can get MORE of the cut by bringing in controls....

Some chairman absolutely believe this will happen, agents fees will be capped, incentives to players to sign will be capped and an equilibrium will return ....

I think we are going to need a big club to go bust or almost go bust before it does...

Agree we were hugely impressive in the 2nd half, but IMO only in relation to our abysmal 1st half. Poch or the players themselves cannot seem to get on the front foot from the off, for some reason. Then IMO once we are in front we are inviting teams to have a go at us, we need to maintain or increase our momentum, not reduce it. I know POch has mentioned this before, but the question is why does it keep happening - we are becoming Spursy again, when last couple of seasons we appeared to have lost that tag. Don't know if its a Poch thing or a players thing, but we cant go on like this cos its just going to repeat...….without a real leader on the pitch its hard to see it changing. Brighton on Sat is going to be a real test....

I agree Greavsie about the style of play but Kane doesn’t make runs into channels much these days...he plods around instead. Congratulations on your promotion to Football Legend by the way.

First you slate Poch for not influencing the last few minutes with a plan then say the poor form of the players and lack of additions affected the result . Make your mind up. We looked safe until a worldie goal from nowhere then a defensive error from rusty players with not many minutes under the belts this season.
The only answer from you is get rich owners who only care about silver ware and will spend crazy money. Then get a Pep type manager. That's lazy and unrealistic, it's probably unsustainable and unsportsmanlike and unhelpful to the English game and development of youngsters. It would mean highly paid foreign players giving no chance to our homegrown youth and more erosion of the English game.

You wait for a chance to spew out your usual nonsense after a loss trying to back up your idealistic vision.