Ins and outs for 2022/23 season | Vital Football

Ins and outs for 2022/23 season

mikemiller

Vital Football Hero
21/06/22

Warney has just been on Radio Sheffield. Said that he is pleased to have signed Conor Washington from Charlton - didn't mention any injury or illness. Two new wing-backs should be coming in this week, plus one or two forwards. He is intending to play two up front in the new season. Offers made to Smith and Ihiekwe are still "on the table"

BBC football website has reported that Joe Mattock has signed for Harrogate Town (see other thread)

Last edited:
21/06/22

Warney has just been on Radio Sheffield. Said that he is pleased to have signed Washington - didn't mention any injury or illness. Two new wing-backs should be coming in this week, plus one or two forwards. He is intending to play two up front in the new season. Offers made to Smith and Ihiekwe are still "on the table"

BBC football website has reported that Joe Mattock has signed for Harrogate Town (see other thread)
I assume that Marlon Fossey and Cohen Bramall are the two wing-backs? I think they have both played there as well as at right and left-back.
I do hope the "one or two forwards" are a little more inspiring than Eaves. We need a 15-20 goal man and if that turns out to be Kelly I will be very pleased. Even if Ihiekwe stays (which I doubt) we need one or two uncompromising central defenders.
The signing of two wing-backs would free up Ogbene to operate more forward and more centrally (assuming he's here).
I'm quite optimistic - but then I was sure Tommy Docherty would take us into the old First Division!

Yes, Mike, PW played that all wrong. Quite a few fans are more upset about that radio interview than about the two players leaving. I don't understand why he gave such a hostage to fortune.

Georgie Kelly is here, fit, raring to go and up to proving himself in the Championship. I feel better already. There's something about him I like. Mind you with him, Conor and Chieo we might have to start playing in green. Hoops would be nice.:throw:

24/06/22
In ... Tom Eaves from Hull C. (free transfer), as predicted by many. Previous loan spell with the Millers: 8 league appearances , no goals. Has never scored more than 5 league goes in a Championship season, so let's hope that the Warney "magic" will work.
Also in (announced at Millers charity cricket game) Jamie McCart, Scottish centre back.

Last edited:
30/06/22

Out ... Jacob Gratton has moved to Farsley Celtic. Such a shame that injury put an end to his Millers career - good luck to him for the future.

01/07/22

In ... Cohen Bramall - left-sided defender signed from Lincoln City for an undisclosed fee (see other thread for details)

Warney saying five or six more new players to come in yet!

Last edited:
05/06/22

RUFC Official website - Warney video interview in Croatia. Still hoping to sign about five more players. A player (defender) who is a potential signing, has joined the training camp. A couple of players may go out on loan, but not for a few weeks yet.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update : In - Cameron Humphreys , centre back from Zulte Waregem of Belgium. Ex- Man. City and England youth team player. Says "loan" on BBC Football website, but other sources are saying that he has signed a 3-year contract.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
07/07/22

Paul Davis (Advertiser) Twitter -confirmed that Humphreys has been signed on a 3-year deal.

Last edited:
12/07/22

Just realised that our reserve centre forward, Jerome Greaves, hasn't been mentioned for months. He hasn't been given a squad number, hasn't featured in the friendly matches... has he left/ gone on loan somewhere or is he injured?

Warney still saying that we are aiming to sign about five more players.

Last edited:
12/07/22

Just realised that our reserve centre forward, Jerome Greaves, hasn't been mentioned for months. He hasn't been given a squad number, hasn't featured in the friendly matches... has he left/ gone on loan somewhere or is he injured?

Warney still saying that we are aiming to sign about five more players.
Good question, Mike. I'm getting confused with one or two of our younger players. I thought there was something about Greaves leaving then coming back on a 1 year deal but I can't find a mention and may be imaging it.

Good question, Mike. I'm getting confused with one or two of our younger players. I thought there was something about Greaves leaving then coming back on a 1 year deal but I can't find a mention and may be imaging it.

Was that last season? Because now you mention it it's ringing a bell with me too.

He was out on loan last season (2021/22) , and I thought that he still had another year on his contract still, but I could be wrong.

Found the Greaves mention (quote) The club made a decision on greaves at end of last season…the invite back can/could involve him just getting fit and helping him find another club or if the club feels they can offer him something they could,but I would say unlikely..also the player might feel his opportunities will be limited so he might feel elsewhere is best too …as supporters we can’t do a lot about decisions on players….though some wish they could.!.

Thanks for that Lindum - I hadn't seen that information. He was bogged down with injuries during his loan spells, so it doesn't come as a surprise.

Thanks for that Lindum - I hadn't seen that information. He was bogged down with injuries during his loan spells, so it doesn't come as a surprise.
This is a great shame. Someone who knows his football told me last year that Greaves was the real deal.

So was Gratton. Sad to see both of their Millers careers ended by inury. By the way, they were injured whilst playing in proper matches, so I'm not blaming Warney's training methods for that! It's tough to make a career in professional football - and you need luck regarding injuries.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

19/07/22

Out ... Angus MacDonald has moved to Swindon Town on a two-year deal

23/07/22

In ... Grant Hall from Middlesboro' on a one-year loan. Sort of a replacement for Angus MacDonald.

Last edited:
25/07/22

Paul Davis (Advertiser) Twitter - Warney said that reason there was no RUFC attempt to re-sign Will Grigg was that the RUFC recruitment team were not all in agreement about it being a good idea.

Given Grigg's age, injury record, lack of sell-on value , etc, I can see that there is some logic to that.... so presumably they all DID agree that signing Tom Eaves on a 3-year contract was a good idea!
:rolleyes:
Bizarre...

Last edited:
Hard to fathom the logic. Interesting that according to Portsmouth News when the Blackpool deal fell through we were in for Colby Bishop but he chose Portsmouth instead.

Last edited:
25/07/22

. so presumably they all DID agree that signing Tom Eaves on a 3-year contract was a good idea!
:rolleyes:
Bizarre...

Mike, unanimity of opinion in such circumstances is rare. More likely someone pushed for Eaves while others were less enthusiastic. Trouble is you use up your reserves of ammo and if it turns out bad your authority in future acquisitions is weakened.

Last edited: