In Wilder we trust........ | Page 2 | Vital Football

In Wilder we trust........

Same here, he certainly shouldn't be fired
But I wish he'd get out of whatever sulk he's in.

Interviews, comments, body language and general mannerisms just don't seem right to me.

The players rely on him building them up to be worldbeaters and he's walking around with a face like he's chewing a wasp at the moment

I can see why he is in a sulk. It must be as frustrating for him to watch as it is us. We have not played well for a full 90 minutes yet but have missed some gilt edged chances and we should have more points. Added to that he has numerous positions to strengthen but on the lowest premiership budget it must be very difficult. We needed a goal keeper, tick, back up for Baldock and Stevens, tick, a central defender back up, tick. However we needed 2 strikers and a central midfielder and that is where the money ran out. I dont think we even had enough money for another loan. Covid and the mortgage have killed and strangled our transfer budget. It really is a perfect storm.
We need a fit a and firing Fleck back, JOC back sooner than expected (and that could happen) and in my opinion Brewster to be partnered by McGoldrick or Burke. Probably McGoldrick from the start and as he tires the pace of Burke. I honestly dont think that McBurnie is good enough. If we can battle through the next 3 games and pick a couple of moral boosting points up and if we dont get battered we are 100% not dead and buried, still very early days.

On a positive note, only Villa and Arsenal have conceded fewer goals than us...............

On a positive note, only Villa and Arsenal have conceded fewer goals than us...............
That is the rock that we need to build on. We have to get more ball in midfield that connects to the strikers like we did the last 30 minutes of the first half. Norwood and Lundstrum just died in the second half with younger fitter players just by passing and squeezing them. We may have to consider Ampadu or Bogle in midfield. They are young, athletic and both decent on the ball, at least it would give us some energy and hopefully free Berge up to do more driving runs.

That is the rock that we need to build on. We have to get more ball in midfield that connects to the strikers like we did the last 30 minutes of the first half. Norwood and Lundstrum just died in the second half with younger fitter players just by passing and squeezing them. We may have to consider Ampadu or Bogle in midfield. They are young, athletic and both decent on the ball, at least it would give us some energy and hopefully free Berge up to do more driving runs.

We have already had to replace Henderson and JOC - so not bad really that we are still pretty solid at the back. But agree - midfield ran out of puff in the second half yesterday which led to Fulham dominating. Pretty easy to see, so am sure it will be thought about.

We are not going to change into an attack minded team this season, and I am sure we all understand why. Not enough money to plug all the gaps.

So we might as well prepare ourselves for what is going to unfold and set our aspirations at a realistic level.

But lets not start calling ourselves no-hopers already - that's nonsense. Our squad is decent and investment has been made in the key areas. These are tough times - but the season has another 8 months to go.

That is the biggest positive.
We've lost 40% of out magnificnet 5 - one by choice (Hendo),one through injury(JOC and yet we are still doing better than most with odd, individual errors being punished. That's what we have to build on.

Further forward we are mssing the rare chances we created , some of which we took last year.
CW has a couple of options more to shake the pack , that's wherre the work's needed and I'm sure there'll be plenty of that BUT, goalscorings a knack, an art, a sixth sense even .That's the stuff you CAN'T teach, it's instinctive, it's in the players' make up.

You can develop positional sense and styles of lpay, work on individual aspects eg cleaner heading, better control, but you can't instil instinct and that's where CW's system and methods aren't applicable or transferable

You CAN teach the defensive arts much easier, set formations and positions , get players running harder,further, diving in to block shots, working as a unit etc.

Basically,it's easier to destroy than create so he's concentrated on a team approach to attacking and defending as a unit. That, as we have progressed to the PL leaves little room for a maverick, a creator, a risk taker and that's where we fall down.

Can we still loan Brooks because, off the top of my head, he's the answer short term?

Longer term can we hold on until the Jan window and go out and buy someone proven to fill that gap?

Why is Brooks not getting pciked for Bournmouth, injured or out of favour ?. Just read injury playing another stupid international but nothing serious. We have to cast the net wider as Brooks is too expensive.

Why is Brooks not getting pciked for Bournmouth, injured or out of favour ?. Just read injury playing another stupid international but nothing serious. We have to cast the net wider as Brooks is too expensive.
Looking for a short term fix BfL with a view to solving a problem before finding a long term solution

Tindall's three at the back and shift towards power and athleticism may leave Brooks out in the cold at Bournemouth. He'd have been a useful loan just to try and keep us within touching distance of safety come January, but just like cover for LCB it wasn't to be.

We can still sign unattached players and an emergency loan if required - usually a keeper, but as we've got four senior keepers that's not likely.

Wilder’s earned enough loyalty points with me over the past 4+ years to back him no matter how this season pans out. And IF we were to go down (and it’s far too early to call 5 games in and with so many other teams in the same boat), I’d 100% want him to manage us next season...unless we’ve got mega bucks by then and can attract Klopp, I don’t think there’s anybody better.

Looking for a short term fix BfL with a view to solving a problem before finding a long term solution
I agree TT but why would they loan him to us. There seems to be no real benefit to a team trying to get promoted to loan there best player out ?. Sell him and replace him i get but loan i doubt it unfortunately.
The other major issue we have and it probably applies to someone like Lookman is wages. Why did we not try and loan him without doubt the wages. Wilder has his hand tied which ever way you look at it. We could really do with a couple of academy players ready to break into our first team midfield.