Imps retained list announced | Page 5 | Vital Football

Imps retained list announced

I honestly don't think that MA had much input in this list due to the on-going circumstances. This is board led. ( not that I'm having a go at them as there really was no other options at the moment)

Can see a future where in the lower echelons of football the players become part timers and spend half the week stacking shelves at the local supermarkets.
Pushing trolleys in the car park in the pissing rain is hard graft and will keep most lads fairly fit for a Saturday.
Can`t beat a fair days work for a fair days pay.

Last edited:
Tough times have brought about these decisions so that our club survives into the future. Its very sad to see Michael Bostwick and Neal Eardley end their playing days with us in this manner, both of them entitled to be included on the list of best ever players for the Imps.
We are fortunate to have our club in good hands to guide us through these difficult times.

As Clive tweeted, it wasn't really a reflection on players ability that they were let go, more a financial decision.
Now from that I can understand, Bossie, Eards, Vickers and Frecks going. As they were probably the highest earners at the club, and sacrifices had to be made to allow the club to continue.
Covid-19 is the reason the above haven't been kept for at least another season (Although Sicknote Frecks, probably would have gone anyway, and Vickers made too many stupid mistakes). But that begs the other question.

How many of those retained, were REALLY wanted? Was it a case of having the bare minmum squad at the cheapest price? Along with those on the longest contracts (costs more to get rid).
I have a feeling that a fair number of the "retained" wont be kept for that long, next season.

The biggest challenge however is finding a decent keeper, as i believe we have none on the books.
Don't envy Appleton, in this challenge next season, the only good thing is all the other clubs including the so-called "Big" clubs will be in the same boat.

Well i guess this clear out of the bigger earners will help provide Michael Appleton with a decent wage budget to bring in some good players for next season. Aaron Lewis is a very capable right back and I'm pleased we've retained him. He'll only get better.
Looking at the retained list, we need a good keeper and 2 good centre backs for a start.

The released list is what I thought/feared (for some) would happen. Of the 13 under contract I reckon MA only sees about 8 of those as first team squad by his choice and some of them not starters. I don't think there is a single senior player in the 13 that MA wouldn't move on given a chance either - Coker, Payne, Bolger not been first choice and even Harry A has been in and out. The next few months will continue to be utterly bizarre. When football clubs re-emerge at our level there are going to be big winners and big losers such will be the seismic change. It is going to be fascinating.

The released list is what I thought/feared (for some) would happen. Of the 13 under contract I reckon MA only sees about 8 of those as first team squad by his choice and some of them not starters. I don't think there is a single senior player in the 13 that MA wouldn't move on given a chance either - Coker, Payne, Bolger not been first choice and even Harry A has been in and out. The next few months will continue to be utterly bizarre. When football clubs re-emerge at our level there are going to be big winners and big losers such will be the seismic change. It is going to be fascinating.

Agreed. The form-book, as they say, will be out the window.

Gutted to see Bozzy released, but back in the real world, when we start playing football again, might he sign for a third of the wage he finished the contract on.

Very sad to see some of the names on the released list as others have said - the likes of Bossie and Eards have been fantastic and have made an outstanding contribution to the club’s success recently. Not surprising really that so many have been released, and I’m sure at least two or three of the retained list will yet depart. Clearly forced by circumstances but being realistic I’m not surprised that even Bossie & Eards will go under the circumstances. Neither are getting any younger and are starting to show a slight lack of pace at times, despite all their qualities. MA has said right from the start that he wants a young, mobile squad with pace that he can develop and sell on for good money. That will be even more vital and necessary for the club going forward and I think the current situation, while very sad and difficult in so many ways, has provided him with an excellent opportunity to plan and develop his strategy without the pressure of results. Just makes things a lot more uncertain when things restart, as it will for many clubs no doubt.
Just one more thought. Given the impact on the club’s lack of income I wonder if this whole situation highlights the need to think even harder about diverse and innovative income streams in the future to provide more financial ‘insurance‘ in difficult times.

Last edited:
Bostwick and Eardley have been tremendous servants to the club. Both have been phenomenal during the last 3 seasons.

I maintain if Bossie had been fit for the whole season we would be at least 6 points better off.

I would say he is within my 30 years watching the Imps my number 1 player of all time. What an absolute dependable, honest warrior whose performances were incredible.

However not totally surprised by the decisions - we need to tread very carefully, but MAPP might of needed to sacrifice the bigger earners to get better in or players with their futures ahead of them.

I should imagine some of the players who are still in contract will be available for transfer at some point.

i assume they are still furloughed?

looking at the way things are moving in a positive direction I am sure we will see a return of football this year.

could Bostwick be on his way to West Yorkshire? Either that or a return to the Posh?

This is simply survive or die.
With no income coming in how can you offer players a new contract?
We simply cannot pay them when the furlough ends.
I don't think this is a footballing decision by Mapp or the Board.
It is gun to the head time.
Danny did some great things for us but why did he give Coker more then a one season contract?
Surely one of his strangest and worst decisions.

This is simply survive or die.
With no income coming in how can you offer players a new contract?
We simply cannot pay them when the furlough ends.
I don't think this is a footballing decision by Mapp or the Board.
It is gun to the head time.
Danny did some great things for us but why did he give Coker more then a one season contract?
Surely one of his strangest and worst decisions.

hindsight is a wonderful thing he could have been and could still be a good player for us.