Imps in Exile | Vital Football

Imps in Exile

LA_Imp

Vital Squad Member
So I thought I would post this thread for International Imps, or fans in other parts of the UK, to chime in and see if they are having the same experience.

First a bit of background. I live in the States and prior to iFollow would always look up the scores and watch highlights on the Youtube. I usually get to a couple of games every 2-3 years when I returned to see the family. So, in short, I have forever been, and remain, a Lincoln City fan, but was limited in ability to watch them in action for many years in exile (since 1997). Then iFollow came along and I was slow to adopt, but started to enjoy the live streaming options.

Then COVID hit at a time when the Imps were playing arguably the best football since I started following them in the mid-80's. I want the crowds back as much as anyone, with a packed Sincil Bank/LNER roaring this team on, but in the absence of crowds one thing that has happened is that no matter where you are in the world, the experience is the same. All fans are following this team the same way, and enjoying the great football they are playing, no matter the ability to attend matches. For an exiled Imp such as myself the knock-on affect has been a closer connection to the club (the quality of the football hasn't hurt either). I don't want this to continue for any longer than it needs to, but I thought I would share this slither of a silver lining.

As an Imps supporter of some 51 years, the last 15 in Perth, Western Australia, I have experienced more than my fair share of highs and lows so I’m thoroughly enjoying whats happening at the moment. While I feel for all Imps who can’t get to the ground to see the current squad in person, I’ve had to put up with that for some years, but I couldn’t care less as long as we continue to make the current progress. Certainly wouldn’t argue with you that following the Imps the last four years has been incredibly exciting. Given I have followed the Imps for so long and we haven’t achieved a great deal in that time, with a few notable exceptions. However, first with the Cowleys and now Michael Appleton the club has been taken to heights I never thought I would experience in my lifetime. The Cowleys were, arguably, about reconnection with the community and reinventing the club to put it back where it belongs. They certainly did that and while some may not have always agreed with their methods and tactics (including me at times) they gave us some wonderful memories and established a lasting legacy with the training ground, etc. MA has taken their achievements to a whole new level with his rebuild of the squad and the Championship in sight 🤞. All this would not have been possible without the brilliant leadership of Clive Nates and the Board, Liam Scully, Jez George, etc., not forgetting Bob Dorrian and his priceless contribution when it was most needed. Exciting times to come 🤞🤞🤞🤞
Thank goodness for I-Follow - brilliant to actually follow the club and see the team in action. Just wish the media companies would drag themselves into the 21st Century and make the games available to all without petty business and legal/contractual rubbish preventing some of us from watching the big games 😡🤬

Last edited:
BT Sport gave me the opportunity to reacquaint myself with the club I was first taken to see in 1966.

I watched the various teams regularly until the late 80s when I left the area permanently and I've lived in Spain for 12 years.

I'd always followed the results but the regular screenings on BT got my interest back - Rhead's last minute nodded in winner at Torquay. After that we never seemed off the tele.

Since then I've been to a couple of away games (thanks to @Casperimp for the 2nd of those) and it was nice to re-connect in a small way. I realise I'm almost entirely plastic.

As @LA_Imp and @PerthImp have said, ifollow is a major boon to (enforced) armchair supporters

I share your thoughts. I was a season ticket holder for many years since my early teens. I worked away for a number of years prior to moving overseas so I couldn’t get to as many games as I’d have liked.

My work schedule was kind to me in that I was able to get back for the culmination of the national league season, getting to Gateshead and Macclesfield games. And there was no way I was missing our Wembley performance.

Radio Lincolnshire was a lifeline prior to ifollow, even though it was mostly bloody painful to sit through during our darkest national league days. As expats, we’ve been in the very fortunate position of being able to watch pretty much every game since iFollow’s inception, and I’ve taken full advantage. If only ifollow could serve up a pint of Landlord.

I guess there is plenty of room for everyone and if you are on facebook, there is a group Lincoln City Exiles -The Journey Continues

Lived away from Lincoln for 20 years now. I must admit it was potentially easier to switch off from the dark conference days as other life stuff got in the way. We still managed to suffer through appalling defeats at Carlshalton, Welling and Whitehawk, although we were so bad it was actually quite funny. And of course, the bad days make these good ones much sweeter.

Lived away from Lincoln for 20 years now. I must admit it was potentially easier to switch off from the dark conference days as other life stuff got in the way. We still managed to suffer through appalling defeats at Carlshalton, Welling and Whitehawk, although we were so bad it was actually quite funny. And of course, the bad days make these good ones much sweeter.

It was definitely not funny at the time. That said, years have gone by now so looking back I still don’t find it funny.

I think it’s described as character building but I’d have been happier if all of those games listed and hundreds more didn’t happen.

I started watching City in 1971; I left Lincolnshire in 1984 but still get to games when I can despite having moved all over Britain in that time.

Ironically, I am able to watch far more games now than ever before - even more so than the Murphy days when I went to many of the away games too.

In those 50 years, the highest Lincoln have been in the pyramid is top of the third tier, which is where they are today. The difference is this: I believe this is a better team than Murphy's, playing better football, and has greater potential.

We would all love to be there, but the current wave of success is having a huge effect on the mental wellbeing of all of us. A million thanks to the board, the manager and the players for that, you may not be aware of the importance of what you are doing.

I echo all of the above!

Ironically, I finally thought, after being on here for many years, it was time to start posting - I always thought it would bring the whole house of cards down if i started to contribute but like Croozy's lucky pants and Notty's condom, I have tossed that aside and here we go!

My first Imps experience was being marched from junior school to De Aston in Rasen to watch Imps v Cods exhibition match - I preferred red to black and the res is history. Dad took my brother and I to our first macth which was Imps 3 Exeter 2 in Jan 1969 - I've been hooked ever since.

Moved away in 1976 after witnessing most of the home games in the 75/76 season - dipped in and out, out especially during the various dark days but always got to as many games as possible and have now established an Imps enclave in Portsmouth by drip feeding my mates with everything Imps until they gave in! Even took them to Wembley but also Barnet, Woking Aldershot etc and that legendary day at MK Dons!

IFollow has been a real boon but so has this site - I want to say a sincere thanks to Jules for all he does and to all those who regularly post and provide great entertainment and interest for us all

Finally, for now, I echo everyone else's gratitude to Clive, Liam, the board, the staff and most especially MA and the team for what is, by a street, the best football I have ever seen a Lincoln side play and for a club in which we can all take huge pride - thank you guys

I echo all of the above!

Ironically, I finally thought, after being on here for many years, it was time to start posting - I always thought it would bring the whole house of cards down if i started to contribute but like Croozy's lucky pants and Notty's condom, I have tossed that aside and here we go!

My first Imps experience was being marched from junior school to De Aston in Rasen to watch Imps v Cods exhibition match - I preferred red to black and the res is history. Dad took my brother and I to our first macth which was Imps 3 Exeter 2 in Jan 1969 - I've been hooked ever since.

Moved away in 1976 after witnessing most of the home games in the 75/76 season - dipped in and out, out especially during the various dark days but always got to as many games as possible and have now established an Imps enclave in Portsmouth by drip feeding my mates with everything Imps until they gave in! Even took them to Wembley but also Barnet, Woking Aldershot etc and that legendary day at MK Dons!

IFollow has been a real boon but so has this site - I want to say a sincere thanks to Jules for all he does and to all those who regularly post and provide great entertainment and interest for us all

Finally, for now, I echo everyone else's gratitude to Clive, Liam, the board, the staff and most especially MA and the team for what is, by a street, the best football I have ever seen a Lincoln side play and for a club in which we can all take huge pride - thank you guys

Top post! :clap:

When I saw LA_Imp post earlier in the week, I was going to post a thread about how the exiles ended up where they but he's got there before me!

I echo all of the above!

You've tossed my condom aside?! I need it back!

I echo all of the above!

Like you I lurked for many years just reading and finally took the plunge a few days after the Cowleys arrived for my first post.

I know of quite a few City fans who lurk on here (you know who you are) and I have been trying to get them to register and post. Sometimes I still just read for a while but then I get the bug to start rabbiting on again :grinning:

Thank goodness for I-Follow - brilliant to actually follow the club and see the team in action. Just wish the media companies would drag themselves into the 21st Century and make the games available to all without petty business and legal/contractual rubbish preventing some of us from watching the big games 😡🤬

Couldn't agree more. While complicated, I can't help feeling that there is a solution that is out there that is a win for the fans, makes money for the tech companies, the clubs, and will not limit fans in the stands. It just requires bold, creative thinking, that puts the game and the fans at the centre of the decision-making process. Exactly how the EFL operate.....oh wait.

Glad to see others jumping in and sharing their experiences. I was a lurker here for many years before taking the plunge and throwing my opinion into the hat. It's been a long time since I regularly used to walk to the ground with my Dad, brother, and Uncle, but now, more than any other time, those memories are closer than ever. And the icing on the cake is that the football is better.

We would all love to be there, but the current wave of success is having a huge effect on the mental wellbeing of all of us. A million thanks to the board, the manager and the players for that, you may not be aware of the importance of what you are doing.

So true. I think this is why football (and possibly other sports) does deserve special consideration with regards to a COVID response. On a purely scientific/health response it's not hard to make an argument to just simply shut it down. But there are wider societal mental health benefits that a carefully controlled and managed football industry brings to the UK.