Imps in Exile | Page 9 | Vital Football

Imps in Exile

Regardin
My Grandad worked on them too. Got a couple of photographs of him with a tank, but he died before he was born so not really sure what his role was. Other than he’s in a shirt and tie with everyone else in overalls.
Apparently he used to travel to South America which must have been a bit of s as n adventure back then. One story was he brought back some kind of wild cat which they had tethered in the back garden of Boultham Park Road, imagine that.

Regarding your photos, is he part of a small group, or does it look like the workforce?

While those moments certainly do pass you by, in the wink of a young girls eye, it has been fun to revisit moments past.

To bring it back to the topic, I think the following distant places where Imps have relocated have been identified:

United States
Australia
Germany
South Africa
Sunderland

Feel free to add as I am sure some have been missed.
Sunderland the only third world country

Reading the comments, I am struck by a couple of contributions that may sometimes get over-looked, but seem very important in the continuation of the club and where it is now.

One is Bob Dorian, who got quite a bit of stick quite often when we were at our darkest ebb, but now seems to be more widely recognised as a force for good that stopped us from going the way of Bury, Aldershot, York, Stockport, Chester, Hereford, Darlington, Hartlepool and others who have all fallen to level 6 or below, or ceased to exist.

The other is the RAF. How many of us can trace our journey back to being in the RAF itself, or having parents stationed in Lincolnshire. I think there is a good news story there for a journalist to pick up on - the contribution of the forces to the support base of the local football club.

While those moments certainly do pass you by, in the wink of a young girls eye, it has been fun to revisit moments past.

To bring it back to the topic, I think the following distant places where Imps have relocated have been identified:

United States
Australia
Germany
South Africa
Sunderland

When I took this account out on Vitals I was living on Germany, I didn’t know what to call myself so German Imp sounded good although you’ve probably guessed I’m not German. My daughter had a school (class) trip and tour of Borussia MG stadium one day and she took the photo which sits to your left. Fine stadium been to games there and always gravitate back there when we go back. Super hotel next to the ground, push button rain forest shower what’s that all about, took me ages to work out the buttons. Yep I don’t get out much. We go back as the wife is Dutch and has not been back to the Netherlands for over a year now with lockdown. Had a trip booked after we came out of lockdown (summer) but that was cancelled due to border closures firstly Belgium and the NL. It’s not great at the moment with significant events missed etc. I could go on but..... we are ok and like everyone else making the best of it and are super carful. Take care all.

Edit: Should say I’m in Bucks now, but not for much longer.

United States
Australia
Germany
South Africa
Sunderland

Stoke-on-Trent (via Sheffield)

Reading the comments, I am struck by a couple of contributions that may sometimes get over-looked, but seem very important in the continuation of the club and where it is now.

One is Bob Dorian, who got quite a bit of stick quite often when we were at our darkest ebb, but now seems to be more widely recognised as a force for good that stopped us from going the way of Bury, Aldershot, York, Stockport, Chester, Hereford, Darlington, Hartlepool and others who have all fallen to level 6 or below, or ceased to exist.

The other is the RAF. How many of us can trace our journey back to being in the RAF itself, or having parents stationed in Lincolnshire. I think there is a good news story there for a journalist to pick up on - the contribution of the forces to the support base of the local football club.
Although as stated earlier born in and never left the area, I suppose I have to thank Adolf and the RAF/WAF posting my parents to the same RAF base, albeit that was in Scunthorpe territory, for me being here.

Navenby as a toddler
Village near Immingham/Grimsby till I was 19
Hull for a couple of years
North Ferriby, yes that North Ferriby for nearly 30 years
Salford for the past 5 years
Soon moving to Timperley (suburb of Altrincham)
Got my eye on apartments down South Park when my lad goes to Uni next year. Hopefully finally coming home after more than 50 years away.

Born in Langworth.
Lived in Dunholme from the age of 6 and parents still there
Moved to Wolverhampton for work in 1988
Always intended to move back to Lincolnshire after a few years but met the missus and have been stuck over here in Sedgley since.

Being part of Dudley borough though makes me feel like I am stuck in the 1970's though as it's unchanged for decades in both appearance and (unfortunately) some attitudes.

Does that technically make me the furthest away (ie five decades)????

Peoples Republic of South Yorkshire now.
Spent 26 years traipsing around various RAF stations in UK and Germany(10 years) after taking the shilling at 16. Worse time getting football results was '77 in Belize, no Brit papers, BBC World service all whistles and squarks. Relied on the Green 'Un in post from home.

Born in Nocton Hall RAF hospital, Waddo to 7, 3 years in Cyprus then unusually father posted back to Waddo where he saw out his time in the RAF, moving to Washingborough.

Went to uni in Liverpool, year back home in 79-80 but in North West ever since and in Chester since '87, at least it's in the 21st century!

Usually (pre covid) now can make 3 or 4 home games a season plus any in the north west, sadly despite taking sons to see the Imps both at Chester and SB failed to convert them to the cause though one did come to Wembley.