Imps in Exile | Page 8 | Vital Football

Imps in Exile

Perhaps we could let our exiled Imps friends have this thread back, rather than using it to reminisce about "those glory days" as Bruce Springsteen might have put it...

While those moments certainly do pass you by, in the wink of a young girls eye, it has been fun to revisit moments past.

To bring it back to the topic, I think the following distant places where Imps have relocated have been identified:

United States
Australia
Germany
South Africa
Sunderland

Feel free to add as I am sure some have been missed.

To bring it back to the topic, I think the following distant places where Imps have relocated have been identified:

United States
Australia
Germany
South Africa
Sunderland

Penydarren

Away from the RAF link, but still related to the City's military manufacturing, my Great Grandfather (who I never knew) worked on the first tanks that were built, in Lincoln at William Foster's on Firth Road
My Grandad worked on them too. Got a couple of photographs of him with a tank, but he died before he was born so not really sure what his role was. Other than he’s in a shirt and tie with everyone else in overalls.
Apparently he used to travel to South America which must have been a bit of s as n adventure back then. One story was he brought back some kind of wild cat which they had tethered in the back garden of Boultham Park Road, imagine that.

London. Have lived here since 1984. All my children have been born and bred here, but are rabid Lincoln City fans. Have held at least three season tickets since the first season of the National League. (Even though for the the first couple of seasons, I only made it to half a dozen or so games a season.) The funny thing is, I'm not even from Lincoln originally. My father was in the RAF and got posted to Waddington. We were living in Singapore at the time and had prior notice of the posting. From then on I followed City from afar via the Straits Times. We moved to Lincolnshire just after my eleventh birthday and I saw my first game a few weeks later (a 2-1 defeat (obviously) to Southend Sept 1970).

I've lived long enough in Lincoln (North Hykeham) to have watched both the Graham Taylor and the Colin Murphy teams. What we have presently (in my opinion) is the best side of the lot. Not only that, we are currently witnessing a style of football that I thought only the very top teams play. Long may it continue.

Telford via Tamworth, Manchester, Swindon, Clevedon and Weymouth. I left Cherry when I was 11, but Lincoln stayed with me. My 2nd son's middle name is Lincoln and we mainly go to away games. He had been to 45 different grounds by the time he was 14.

While those moments certainly do pass you by, in the wink of a young girls eye, it has been fun to revisit moments past.

United States
Australia
Germany
South Africa
Sunderland

UAE

Think this thread shows what a diverse and international following of Imps around the globe there are. It’s fantastic to see and amazing to think that people support, still attend games and buy season tickets from literally hundreds of miles away.

I live just outside the city to the South in North Kesteven so it’s a doddle getting to SB for me. Wasn’t any difficulty when I used to live and work in Nottingham either watching any of the home games.

Must admit to falling out of love with the club during the dark days of the second Conference journey. Those six or so years of finishing below half way and witnessing pathetic displays from players that didn‘t bother and constantly getting turned over by dog and duck fc, It must be how Sunderland feel these days! If it wasn’t for my mum keeping wanting to go, I probably would have had a break from it all.

Those bleak times make you appreciate just what an amazing journey this club is currently on. We are very fortunate to have had Bob keeping us going and now Clive and co taking us to a level we could only have dreamed about a few short years ago. What a time to be an Imp now!

Think this thread shows what a diverse and international following of Imps around the globe there are. It’s fantastic to see and amazing to think that people support, still attend games and buy season tickets from literally hundreds of miles away.

I live just outside the city to the South in North Kesteven so it’s a doddle getting to SB for me. Wasn’t any difficulty when I used to live and work in Nottingham either watching any of the home games.

Must admit to falling out of love with the club during the dark days of the second Conference journey. Those six or so years of finishing below half way and witnessing pathetic displays from players that didn‘t bother and constantly getting turned over by dog and duck fc, It must be how Sunderland feel these days! If it wasn’t for my mum keeping wanting to go, I probably would have had a break from it all.

Those bleak times make you appreciate just what an amazing journey this club is currently on. We are very fortunate to have had Bob keeping us going and now Clive and co taking us to a level we could only have dreamed about a few short years ago. What a time to be an Imp now!

During the earlier Conference years I can remember describing us as a zombie club (on here, in fact!) and I felt an increasing sense of doom the closer I got to SB om match day, shambling along like a zombie myself (although that may just be my normal demeanour).

Impish sits on the end of our row with his indomitable mum. :)

During the earlier Conference years I can remember describing us as a zombie club (on here, in fact!) and I felt an increasing sense of doom the closer I got to SB om match day, shambling along like a zombie myself (although that may just be my normal demeanour).

Impish sits on the end of our row with his indomitable mum. :)

I do, mum has had her first vaccination (being 90!) I hope she/we can both return to see all the friendly faces we used to sit near on a match day. Miss your hat too Notty!

I do, mum has had her first vaccination (being 90!) I hope she/we can both return to see all the friendly faces we used to sit near on a match day. Miss your hat too Notty!

Ah yes, the hat. :)

Yes, looking forward to it. I think it will be next season, though, realistically.

London. Have lived here since 1984. All my children have been born and bred here, but are rabid Lincoln City fans. Have held at least three season tickets since the first season of the National League. (Even though for the the first couple of seasons, I only made it to half a dozen or so games a season.) The funny thing is, I'm not even from Lincoln originally. My father was in the RAF and got posted to Waddington. We were living in Singapore at the time and had prior notice of the posting. From then on I followed City from afar via the Straits Times. We moved to Lincolnshire just after my eleventh birthday and I saw my first game a few weeks later (a 2-1 defeat (obviously) to Southend Sept 1970).

I've lived long enough in Lincoln (North Hykeham) to have watched both the Graham Taylor and the Colin Murphy teams. What we have presently (in my opinion) is the best side of the lot. Not only that, we are currently witnessing a style of football that I thought only the very top teams play. Long may it continue.
Do you collect vintage LCFC programmes? The reason for asking is that back in the day I had many a bidding battle on ebay with someone with your username. Needless to say I did not win many.

That sounds similar to my dad's journey to Lincoln. He was born in Hampshire, moved to Singapore as a young boy, before the family was posted to Waddington.

I was born in Lincoln, now living in Oxford via London. My son is 5 and he wants Lincoln to win when they're playing in red, so I'm halfway there.