Impact of loans | Vital Football

Impact of loans

Cookiejar

Vital Reserves Team
I'm not really sure if this has been discussed but the impact this years loan have made I'm my opinion hasn't been as good as last year. This could be a major factor in the transfer window in January

None of them have owned the position they have come in to play. Medley has had a good run, as has Robertson in patches but the others are very much hit and miss.

Last year Alfie Jones owned his position give or take, O'Connor was better, Robert's can in in January and made a big impact.

This season coyle on the fringes the 2 coventry boys have been in and out, medley and Robertson been in and out injured.

Probably a better group of loans this year but not made a big impact as of yet

The preponderance of loans i feel makes it more difficult to identify with players. There are so many player movements these days it is hard to keep up. How many players have come in and out of the club in the last 15 years? How many can people recall?

Naturally these players aren't so committed to a club as they would be as full time paid employees. I am sure they try their best but if we ended up getting relegated tjen it is not really any skin off their nose as they just shrug their shoulders and return to their parent clubs

I guess many just try to avoid injury.

Part of our current problems are caused by Evans constantly tinkering with the starting line up.
In my opinion, we looked best with a back four of Jackson, Tucker, Ogilvie and Medley at LB.
Robertson should start if fit with McKenzie deeper, O’connor on the left and Dempsey right with a n other in midfield, probably Eccles. ( Mellis is too lightweight)
Oliver and Graham.
So, to summarise, there are three loans that should start.
Coyle is a reasonable sub impact player but in reality, too lightweight for this level.

The loans this season have had a lower average age and have been of the quality of the Premier League U-21 teams that take part in the EFL cup, apart from Eccles and Drysdale who obviously played against us for a Championship U-21 team (and lost on penalties).

You will note that most of those U-21 teams do not get beyond the group stage of the EFL cup.

The exceptions are Robertson and O'Connor - hence why they have played more and I suspect we are paying more of their club wages, and would have done with Alfie Jones.

The very young players are here to be gradually developed and I suspect that is reflected in the amount we have to pay them at a time when we have no gate receipts. It is what it is.

The preponderance of loans i feel makes it more difficult to identify with players. There are so many player movements these days it is hard to keep up. How many players have come in and out of the club in the last 15 years? How many can people recall?

Naturally these players aren't so committed to a club as they would be as full time paid employees. I am sure they try their best but if we ended up getting relegated tjen it is not really any skin off their nose as they just shrug their shoulders and return to their parent clubs

I guess many just try to avoid injury.
I think the same can be said for some "permanent" signings though. Most come for a couple of years then move on, they always seem to get another club (much like managers).
The days of a Ron Hillyard/Mark Weatherly/Hess or Paul Smith are long gone which creates that lack of identity.
The last players of that kind that I can think of in the "modern" game are Lampard, Gerrard and Terry. There will be the odd few knocking around the lower leagues but I would guess not many left now.

I think the same can be said for some "permanent" signings though. Most come for a couple of years then move on, they always seem to get another club (much like managers).
The days of a Ron Hillyard/Mark Weatherly/Hess or Paul Smith are long gone which creates that lack of identity.
The last players of that kind that I can think of in the "modern" game are Lampard, Gerrard and Terry. There will be the odd few knocking around the lower leagues but I would guess not many left now.
Donny Rovers have a guy who has been there since birth.
Can’t remember his name at the mo.

Transfer fees have almost died out in lower leagues as well.

Who is the last player Gills paid a transfer fee for for instance?

Probably Hess's last season as manager where we spent about £250k on Birchall, Lee, Whelpdale and Kedwell.

(ignoring all the undisclosed fees transfers - we probably paid something for Egan under tribunal)

James Coppinger - really good creative player who I think I have signed as a 36 year old in every Football Manager since 2009.

James Coppinger is the sort of legend you’d love to have at your club.

39 yo now, been at Donny since 2004. Nearly 600 apps for them. As well as 80 for Exeter and a couple other clubs as a kid.

James Coppinger is the sort of legend you’d love to have at your club.

39 yo now, been at Donny since 2004. Nearly 600 apps for them. As well as 80 for Exeter and a couple other clubs as a kid.

39? Rubbish, he was 63 last Wednesday. Same age as Donny Osmond. Says so in the Doncaster match day thread.........

It was rumoured that we paid a small fee for Wilkinson but hard to prove.

I think evans is protecting the loans due to the frequency of games.

I agree that they arent having the same impact as previous years. This year we have recruited young players who are here for the experience of mens football rather than from experienced players like Lee and Whelpdale were as examples.

Beggars can't be choosers though

Part of our current problems are caused by Evans constantly tinkering with the starting line up.
In my opinion, we looked best with a back four of Jackson, Tucker, Ogilvie and Medley at LB.
Robertson should start if fit with McKenzie deeper, O’connor on the left and Dempsey right with a n other in midfield, probably Eccles. ( Mellis is too lightweight)
Oliver and Graham.
So, to summarise, there are three loans that should start.
Coyle is a reasonable sub impact player but in reality, too lightweight for this level.

Agree absolutely, well apart from Medley, who i`d rather see in the middle, with Ogi at RB. Far too much unnecessary tinkering, especially when the back four had just found their connectivity and confidence. It`s understandable that game match-ups, injuries and even loan agreement terms can affect selection, but SE`s excessive tinkering does appear to be a tad over-zealous. SE must have his reasons !

Probably Hess's last season as manager where we spent about £250k on Birchall, Lee, Whelpdale and Kedwell.

(ignoring all the undisclosed fees transfers - we probably paid something for Egan under tribunal)

Why on earth would you ignore undisclosed transfers? we still had to pay for them, regardless of whether its disclosed or not. Scally just doesnt like announcing how much or little money we have.

We paid money for both Connor Wheeliebin and Akinde. Undisclosed amount for both.

https://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/news/2020/january/gills-sign-john-akinde/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/amp/football/40449477

So those are the answers to micks question.

We did not pay anything for Egan as he was released by Sunderland and not offered a new contract by them.

https://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/news/2014/july/john-egan-signs-for-gillingham-fc/

Last edited:
Donny Rovers have a guy who has been there since birth.
Can’t remember his name at the mo.
Coppinger. On subs bench last week. I'm sure I first saw him back in 1967 when I witnessed a shock home defeat - yes, believe it or not, they were rare in those days.

Just looked up Kevin Ellison of Morcambe. Another legend. Pantomime villain but I've always liked the character.

It was rumoured that we paid a small fee for Wilkinson but hard to prove.
I dont think its that hard to prove. The bbc article from the time states clearly there was a fee (undisclosed). Obviously its hard to prove what the size of it was though. Hopefully no more than a pack of tracksuits, or some millenium dome kiosks.

I dont think its that hard to prove. The bbc article from the time states clearly there was a fee (undisclosed). Obviously its hard to prove what the size of it was though. Hopefully no more than a pack of tracksuits, or some millenium dome kiosks.

It was the specific amount that I meant.

Why on earth would you ignore undisclosed transfers? we still had to pay for them, regardless of whether its disclosed or not. Scally just doesnt like announcing how much or little money we have.

I ignored them as they were undisclosed and we have no idea if we paid a small fee or came to some other arrangement based upon appearances etc which I believe is prone to happen now and again.

Akinde would have been the last during last season
Wilkinson could have been the last at the beginning of the 17/18 season
The season before that we might have paid something for Josh Parker (16/17).
In 2014 we paid an undisclosed fee for Luke Norris (14/15)

So the answer to the original question is actually "we pay some sort of fee often".