I’m Listening | Vital Football

I’m Listening

Man with Dog

Vital Youth Team
Dear Dr Crane

I have a dilemma ! I have supported my local soccer team for many years, trouble is I don’t like our current coach 😡 the thing is when we occasionally win I’m happy for the team but not so happy that the coach has extended his stay, can you offer any words of wisdom to help ease my troubled mind.

I try to completely ignore the fact that he's the manager and instead give the players all the praise they deserve and enjoy the win.

At the end of the day, a season is shaped over 46 matches in this division and after well over halfway, we currently sit four points adrift of safety in 22nd from 24 teams. I think we're all aware that these players aren't the worst in the division and a better manager would have us comfortably clear right now. Two wins on the bounce, including one against top of the league isn't going to change that we're deep in the shit and will never fully recover and become a stable Championship team until he leaves.

So ease your mind by enjoying the wins whenever they come, because they are rare for us at this level.

Dear Dr Crane

I have a dilemma ! I have supported my local soccer team for many years, trouble is I don’t like our current coach 😡 the thing is when we occasionally win I’m happy for the team but not so happy that the coach has extended his stay, can you offer any words of wisdom to help ease my troubled mind.

I don't think a win today keeps him in a job longer and i don't think a 6-0 hammering woud've pushed him closer to the exit either.

If Cook was going anywhere he'd have long gone by now - he is almost certainly here until the end of the season at least - no matter what anyone thinks of it.

So there is no such thing as a detrimental win at this point, just enjoy the victory and don't feel conflicted about results putting off changing Cook - it's not on the cards.

Apparently the players had a meeting last week without Cook and coaches. Seems to brought them together a bit. Think they are good enough to stay up, but sadly with Cook directing the orchestra he’s hindering their efforts. Sack him and we’ve a chance.

Ffcks sakei have a dilemma been watching my team since late 60s what do i do been so bad in mid 70s 10 of us went to a midweek game non league runcorn on a milk float
Hate my current coach be it manager go watch your rugby team if your not a genuine latics fan take it your a wurrrior fan happy just taken the piss

Apparently the players had a meeting last week without Cook and coaches. Seems to brought them together a bit. Think they are good enough to stay up, but sadly with Cook directing the orchestra he’s hindering their efforts. Sack him and we’ve a chance.

Yes course they did. They really looked like they didn't like Cook after the last 2 games. Not.

Please stop making stuff up and give a it of credit where it's due.

Dear Dr Crane

And, fear not, I too am listening. I am listening to you and I can help heal you.

Might I suggest the following as a means to assisting your recovery from what must be a debilitating thought process.

Take a moment each day to practice mindfulness

Laugh as much as possible

Tell the people close to you that you love them on a regular basis

Open up to friends and family about this issue. Once they see your pain they will be supportive, very supportive

Take the positives from all situations

Keep a diary of these conflicting feelings and how they affect you

Try not to perceive events as being worse or more serious than they really are

If you take my advice, I'm believe you will slowly but surely find your own road to nirvana.

And, if that doesn't work, have a few pints, chill out and eat a dirty kebab. Never fails for me(y)

And, fear not, I too am listening. I am listening to you and I can help heal you.

Might I suggest the following as a means to assisting your recovery from what must be a debilitating thought process.

Take a moment each day to practice mindfulness

Laugh as much as possible

Tell the people close to you that you love them on a regular basis

Open up to friends and family about this issue. Once they see your pain they will be supportive, very supportive

Take the positives from all situations

Keep a diary of these conflicting feelings and how they affect you

Try not to perceive events as being worse or more serious than they really are

If you take my advice, I'm believe you will slowly but surely find your own road to nirvana.

And, if that doesn't work, have a few pints, chill out and eat a dirty kebab. Never fails for me(y)
Thanks for the good advice Doc,I am Teetotal and not a fan of the kebab but I will try the other suggestions.

Dear Dr Crane

My diagnosis of your problem is that you're addicted to the comma " , ".
I think you're in urgent need of a full stop. Its not healthy stringing a very long sentence.

I don't think a win today keeps him in a job longer and i don't think a 6-0 hammering woud've pushed him closer to the exit either.

If Cook was going anywhere he'd have long gone by now - he is almost certainly here until the end of the season at least - no matter what anyone thinks of it.

So there is no such thing as a detrimental win at this point, just enjoy the victory and don't feel conflicted about results putting off changing Cook - it's not on the cards.

He isnt getting sacked, he would have gone long ago if he was. I think he will do to the end of the season, and have a think if he wants to carry on. It will be him leaving us rather us sacking him

Dear Dr Crane

Not sure what the dilemma is here. I, like many people on here, have spent much of the last few months perplexed at how Cook is still in a job. However, I’m happy to be proved wrong. I’ll be equally happy if Cook can string some results together and get us up the table than
would be if a new coach came in and did it. Whether that will happen or not is another story and I agree that Cook is somewhat of a ceiling to us if we ever want to really push on as a club. But for this season if our mission is to stay up then I’m really not fussed who does it.

I’m not getting carried away with the two wins ether btw. We were much better than Wednesday but that Leeds game we lose 9 times out of 10. Certainly doesn’t make winning any less sweet though whoever’s in in the dugout.

He isnt getting sacked, he would have gone long ago if he was. I think he will do to the end of the season, and have a think if he wants to carry on. It will be him leaving us rather us sacking him

He won't be walking out on his contract and no club at this level will want him. The only clubs who'd want him are in L1 and they wouldnt be able to afford him if Sunderland couldn't.

There definitely was some kind of meeting Garner said it in an interview before Sheffield game.
It’s interesting you say this. Portsmouth fans told a story of the same thing happening down there when they were on a shit run under Cook. Their captain at the time pulled them all aside (Michael Doyle I think) and chaired a meeting between players where words were said, issues were ironed out. They then went on a run and ended up getting promoted.

It’s obvious that the players are playing for themselves as a squad, every celebration they are straight to our fans cupping their ears. I think it’s clear that they as a group have all read and the discussed the criticism thrown at them and are now playing to try and prove a point. I say good for them, if it helps them play better then as fans we’ve done our job in geeing them up far better than that manager ever could.

It’s interesting you say this. Portsmouth fans told a story of the same thing happening down there when they were on a shit run under Cook. Their captain at the time pulled them all aside (Michael Doyle I think) and chaired a meeting between players where words were said, issues were ironed out. They then went on a run and ended up getting promoted.

It’s obvious that the players are playing for themselves as a squad, every celebration they are straight to our fans cupping their ears. I think it’s clear that they as a group have all read and the discussed the criticism thrown at them and are now playing to try and prove a point. I say good for them, if it helps them play better then as fans we’ve done our job in geeing them up far better than that manager ever could.

I heard the same story about Portsmouth, let's hope for a similar run.

Ffcks sakei have a dilemma been watching my team since late 60s what do i do been so bad in mid 70s 10 of us went to a midweek game non league runcorn on a milk float
Hate my current coach be it manager go watch your rugby team if your not a genuine latics fan take it your a wurrrior fan happy just taken the piss
The Blue Blood of WAFC courses through my veins, never been to a RL game and never will it is not for me. I am just a tad frustrated at this point in time but I will get over it.