"I'm afraid it isn't as simple as some seem to think." | Vital Football

"I'm afraid it isn't as simple as some seem to think."

There will be no social gatherings before Christmas 2020, as confirmed by the Chief medical officer yesterday. Sport is probably viewed on a par with resturants and pubs so it comes last in the chain. Why people think footballers can play a game of football is beyond me! (spit and sweat and contact)
Again, why would any medical professional, who would need to be present at a game (behind closed doors) see this as a priority given most of the NHS is on hold and likely to view sport as an irrelevance in 2020.

Again, why would any medical professional, who would need to be present at a game (behind closed doors) see this as a priority given most of the NHS is on hold and likely to view sport as an irrelevance in 2020.

The NHS can't remain on hold much longer, the precautionary principle has led to huge numbers of unused beds and people are now dying of serious illnesses because they were too scared to go out and seek treatment. All elective surgery was cancelled and that also cannot carry on much longer.

At this moment, not a single NHS front line worker has died of the virus, thankfully.

As more becomes known as well, it's highly likely that transmission takes place indoors and in close proximity. A study of over 300 outbreaks in China, involving over 1,200 cases, found that only 1 outbreak (that's ONE) involved an outdoor setting. 80% of outbreaks occurred in the home, the others involved transportation.

They probably actually have some PPE, right? What's your point?

Firstly precautions should be taken of course. I'd have thought most people would welcome it as good news that those caring for the sickest patients don't seem to be suffering themselves.

Nobody knows where the virus was contracted. It may have been in the hospital, it may not.

That healthcare workers are not over represented in Covid19 cases kind of indicates that they're probably getting it where everybody else is, which is in close proximity - most likely at home.

Firstly precautions should be taken of course. I'd have thought most people would welcome it as good news that those caring for the sickest patients don't seem to be suffering themselves.

Nobody knows where the virus was contracted. It may have been in the hospital, it may not.

That healthcare workers are not over represented in Covid19 cases kind of indicates that they're probably getting it where everybody else is, which is in close proximity - most likely at home.

I think, at this point, that is pure speculation, as you pretty much say yourself in the post above.

Transmission studies will probably work it out eventually, though.

As Notty says, it depends how you define "front line". For me, every single person that has contact with any patient is front line. Without each of them the system is comprised.
I'm sure you agree, each and every one is a hero and deserve our respect. I'm not suggesting that you are, but they certainly don't deserve to be part of any statistical measure of mortality.
I've been in and around it for the last 18 months, and the reaction in current situation has increased my gratitude many fold. Hopefully the new years honours list will have some real meaning next time around.

I'm sure you agree, each and every one is a hero and deserve our respect.

I have a very close personal relationship with a doctor who works in a large northern hospital, and so by association know others too.

They loathe the "hero" tag and say all their medical and nursing colleagues do as well. They also think the tik tok videos that nursing staff seem to be producing in large quantities are highly unprofessional.

That the hospital environment during this scare doesn't seem to be especially dangerous from those numbers is a relief to me.

That's not peer-reviewed, as yet. But assuming it's right, it seems to tell us the obvious that infected people will go on to infect others they live in close proximity to. That would make SARS-CoV-2 pretty much like every other coronavirus, I guess (the common cold, for example).

Also, from the study: "note that many outbreaks involved more than one venue category".

They also don't seem to include a "workplace" category, which is odd. Transport makes up a fairly high proportion as well, though. Again, unsurprising.

I've only read the extract, however.