If youre not going to turn up | Vital Football

If youre not going to turn up

Rza

Vital Champions League
For the last few matches, or you somehow think it's acceptable to put in a performance like that just because you're safe from relegation - then you may as well field the reserves.

Slimani did his best to make today his last appearance in a black and white strip. Yes, the defender made the most of it but when frustration is getting the better of you, a 'kick out' and making contact is a sure way to get a red card. Luckily the ref and linesman missed it but rest assured Danny Murphy will set the record straight on MOTD tonight

So, for the first time since December 27th we lose a home league game. The first in eight home games and when you look closer, amongst those we won against the likes of Man U and Arsenal. Not too bad you would think considering what has been spent or borrowed to make the transition from a Championship team to a side trying to compete in the Premiership. To reach the dizzy heights of tenth place with three games remaining is (to me) a remarkable achievement. The few that show their displeasure by booing at the end might remember it could have been oh so different with another manager. West Brom fans will vouch for that and they were a Premiership team at the start of the season.

I don't boo, I show my displeasure by not going at all but I definitely don't blame anyone for booing a performance like that. When you pay to be entertained and it doesn't happen you've every right to boo. Personally I wouldn't but I don't begrudge anyone who does.

So, for the first time since December 27th we lose a home league game. The first in eight home games and when you look closer, amongst those we won against the likes of Man U and Arsenal. Not too bad you would think considering what has been spent or borrowed to make the transition from a Championship team to a side trying to compete in the Premiership. To reach the dizzy heights of tenth place with three games remaining is (to me) a remarkable achievement. The few that show their displeasure by booing at the end might remember it could have been oh so different with another manager. West Brom fans will vouch for that and they were a Premiership team at the start of the season.

Interesting post Mc especially because it highlights the growing sense amongst our support that a remarkable achievement has taken place.

This must be music in Ashley's ears.

We've not come close to winning anything,had no cup runs and endured boring negative football (cant vouch for the last 5-6 games,was there a change ?) yet the fans sense of achievement seems to be in tune with his.

Furthermore praising our current manager is simply endorsing Ashley's policy.

The supporters in the ground should boo,however their displeasure should be aimed at the Ashley,the manager and especially themselves,not the players.

Maybe they were booing because they should have beaten a team that had only won 4 games all season until yesterday. Considering they had beat Arsenal at home they expected to beat WBA.

We've been live on TV seventeen times this season, add another with a cup game and I'm surprised that the powers that be tolerate the boring, negative football we serve up or why would anyone attend if they can see every game on a foreign channel? That should bother Ashley not one iota with all the free advertising he is receiving and revenue from Sky and BT. He might even compare our two home results this month with the two league games at Man U where they played Arsenal and won 2-1 and also played West Brom and lost 0-1. Sounds familiar.

We've been live on TV seventeen times this season, add another with a cup game and I'm surprised that the powers that be tolerate the boring, negative football we serve up

Don't be surprised Mc.
Despite Rafa doing his best to convince everyone we had a Championship team Sky knew they could rely on our fans to fill their coffers no matter what dross was served up.

They have done for years..

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/broadband/televised-football-fixtures-index/

Impressive when you consider our record over that time period.

The last five seasons then PieMag. I know last season we had more than our fair share of tv appearances as we were chasing promotion.
It made compulsive viewing for some, not least on the last day when Grealish scored for Villa in the 89th minute to deny Brighton the title. It's little wonder Sky like us. How soon I forgot.

There have been formulas in the past for overachieving with squads of limited potential. Some managers have been capable of it, some haven't.

It amazes me that Palace were as low as they have been, with some great talent in the side. Remember, Roy Hodgson got Switzerland up to be ranked number 3 in the world. Greece got into the final at Euro 2004. Look at some FA Cup winners back from Wigan back through Wimbledon, Coventry, West Ham, Southampton, Sunderland etc.

It's fair to say Rafa has done an amazing job with minimal backing.

What could have been a totally crap season is coming to a close. There may or may not be opportunities over the summer, whether it is new ownership or Ashley finally seeing the light.

Now is the time to wait and see what happens. Rafa has shown himself to have been totally able. If he stays, I hope he is supported by Ashley. If he is not supported, I hope he leaves. he has at least given the club a chance to match his ambitions. If the club don't respond in kind, anyone who chooses to financially support Ashley will get what they deserve.

Benitez has done fantastic considering what he has to put up with under Ashley, but his type of football is terrible. He has bought some shite as well. He has done what fatty wanted him to do keep them up.

Benitez no doubt will be gone once he has been shat on yet again by fatty and we will be managed by one of the Merry go round managers.

Do you think Benitez has done any better than the managers at Brighton and Huddersfield billy ?

His football style has worked against the poorer teams who don't t have the quality to break his defensive system down.

I agree with you that its terrible,but football is about opinions and it does my nut in that the majority of lads I know who go to the match don't care what they see as long as the points are on the board.

I don't buy into the idea that Rafa is one of Ashley's victims mind.
He would have to be extremely thick not to grasp that his huge wage can only be justified by a minimal spend and premiership survival.

The league position says that Rafa has done better than the other two, despite having a £12m transfer surplus over two windows as compared to net spends of £45m and £75m.

Personally, I have found the added insights into Rafa's systems fascinating.

I'm not sure that "victim" is the appropriate word. We know what Ashley is like, I think Rafa does.

Where we go from here is whether Rafa can convince Ashley of the business case and what funds will be made available, alternatively, will Ashley be bought out.

Rafa has the potential for a once in a lifetime project with a classical sleeping giant in a place where he can be loved. If summer plans don't match, he can go and make money somewhere else but at least he gave it a shot.

Haway Rexn,league position !! :grinning:

The four or five points that separate us from Brighton and Huddersfield benefit Ashley's pockets only.

Using them to elevate Benitez has more to do with personal belief than reality.

His style of football in a very poor league could easily explain away the league position.

When Sam Allardyce accuses another manager of negative tactics you know somethings going on.

If Benitez had an ounce of self respect he would have walked by now,no excuses about money or takeovers, just go,he could always come back once a takeover was finalised.

He would do well to learn from Keegan.

Last edited:
We have all worked for crap bosses at some stage and had the illusion we could change things or at least hold out until they move on.

All I am saying is let's see what happens. We still don't know what connections Rafa has developed outside the club with Staveley or anyone else.

Come August, we will be much wiser.

We have all worked for crap bosses at some stage and had the illusion we could change things or at least hold out until they move on.

All I am saying is let's see what happens. We still don't know what connections Rafa has developed outside the club with Staveley or anyone else.

Come August, we will be much wiser.

Aye,
can't disagree with that,I still live in hope it will be a positive outcome.