If you could fill one position in the Jan transfer window... | Vital Football

If you could fill one position in the Jan transfer window...

Cookiejar

Vital Reserves Team
what position would you pick, assuming everyone who plays stays. I am torn between a holding midfielder and another striker

Assuming that the hypothesis allows for a top L1 quality player, I`d welcome a big, tall, fast right sided defender.

Assuming that the hypothesis allows for a top L1 quality player, I`d welcome a big, tall, fast right sided defender.

I was thinking about this after the Blackpool game. I thought we played some good football with all rhe players putting a shift in, much the same as the previous two games but without the breaks.
Obviously we would always want to sign better players but if its one player then:
Agree with the right sided defender and obviously an experienced prolific goalscorer is always a requirement lol. DJ has slotted into the holding midfield role but could he play elsewhere in the diamond. Parret looked ok there at first but now he looks slow and full of mistakes (harsh I know). With the diamond we are weak on the sides of midfield but I thought Ogilvie slotted in well there.

So, in summary if I can only have one player then priority is the holding midfielder - but only if DJ can be accommodated in the team still otherwise break the bank for a f class striker :)

Several people seem to think a right sided defender is what we need, I find that strange when we have a excellent right sided defender playing at left back. Wouldn't a left sided defender be the better option?

Several people seem to think a right sided defender is what we need, I find that strange when we have a excellent right sided defender playing at left back. Wouldn't a left sided defender be the better option?

Well spotted lol. Shows how well Barrryyyy has done to cover that position recently.

You could be right, nitram77.

I agree that Fuller has played very well. He`s the best pound for pound shoulder checker in our division, he gets his angles right almost 100% of the time, is robust and never gives up. He isn`t the fastest defender in the world and he`s probably not the best at delivering running crosses. If he was, he`d be in the Championship.

On the basis that he`s performed brilliantly on the left I`d keep him there, at least for the time being, and get a big, tall, fast right-sided chap. That might keep big Tom out of the wide right area he keeps drifting into !

And then again Ogilvie is pretty good at delivering running crosses from the left. Someone quicker than we already have in any one of the main areas.