If you are wondering what happened to Bury... | Vital Football

If you are wondering what happened to Bury...

mikemiller

Vital Football Hero
Bury AFC (the phoenix club formed by Bury FC fans) has been admitted to the football league pyramid . They have joined NW Counties League Division One North (FL Level 10). They have a new manager (Andy Welsh), newly designed team kits, new sponsors, new location (groundshare with Radcliffe FC) and a new club website if you want to find out more. They still intend to use the "Shakers" nickname.

Last edited:
Played their first game yesterday at Daisy Hill (must have been a friendly) and won 5-0 in front of 150 fans (maximum allowed by social distancing regulations). Sounds like they are up and running ok for the 2020/21 season.

Last edited:
Good luck to them. I hope they climb their way back up the league pyramid and get back to where they belong, the Football League. It must be horrible for their fans who've followed them throughout the years, through good times and bad, especially I would imagine, the "older" fans who had a regular routine on match days. I suppose we had a similar experience when we had to travel to Sheffield for our "home" games, although thinking back I have fond memories of our four year stay there. It'll not be easy for the Bury fans though but I wish them well. R.I.P.Bury.F.C.

Bury AFC have entered the FA Vase competition. Not sure if they can apply for entry to FA Trophy/FA Cup yet. (Probably not if they are viewed by the FA as a new club)

Always freezing, and how we needed binoculars. I remember one Tuesday night match, there were only a couple of thousand of us there, and the mist turned to fog and the game....well your guess is as good as mine!

I remember one cold Tuesday night (I think it was an August!) and there weren't many there - I had a friend sit behind me, another in front, another to the side and there was this fella sat a couple of seats away and I asked him to come and sit next to me to keep me warm!

Remember when Boro went into administration in 1986.
We couldnt use Ayresome park (oh i loved that ground) and to fulfill our fixtures , Hartlepool let us use their ground.
First 'home' match was against Port Vale in division 3, then we played in the league cup against...................Hartlepool.
Two legged tie - weird playing a home match against Hartlepool , at Hartlepool.

I've been to Hartlepool in August and mi bovril froze and I always used to say it was the coldest place in the world - until we went to Don Valley!

I think that's the only thing Don Valley did for us - not having us playing at another teams ground.

Bury AFC league fixtures start on 3rd October. They are in the same division as Darwen AFC, who are a phoenix club of Darwen FC , who were in turn a phoenix club of the original Darwen, who were in the Football League(1891-99).
Not all relegated/expelled clubs make it back to the Football League - Darwen have been trying for over 120 years!

Last edited:
Although Bury AFC lost 1-2 in their FA Vase fixture, they won 3-2 in their first league fixture last Saturday (10/10/20) scoring twice in injury time to beat Steeton 3-2, with 150 fans allowed into the ground.

Millers fans also feature in the BBC iPlayer documentary about how Bury AFC was formed. It was put on BBC iPlayer about a month ago www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p08sw2w0

Thanks to Mick (Gillingham fan) for alerting me to this.

Can't get link to work for some unknown reason (works ok off my email!) , but you can go on to BBC iPlayer , use Search box , type in "Bury - Bringing back football" (or just go on Google and type "Bury - bringing back football" and it will come up on the screen.)
Worth watching and the programme has footage of many of the Bury AFC events previously mentioned in this thread

Last edited:
24/01/21
January 2021 update...

AFC Bury have only lost one league fixture so far and are top of their division, although due to postponements resulting from Covid , bad weather and cup competitions, some teams have several games in hand.

Meanwhile, a few miles away, there is a new takeover of the original Bury FC being attempted, with the aim of buying the stadium at Gigg Lane and applying for entry to National League North.

Last edited:
Not sure. I suppose they could call themselves something like "Bury (2021) FC" if needed for legal reasons. I think the latest takeover plan is to pay off the previous debts too, so they may be able to retain the Bury FC name if that happened. No idea if this latest takeover bid, led by businessman David Hilton, is likely to be successful though given what has previously happened.
AFC Bury have stated that they have not put in a bid for the Gigg Lane stadium.

Last edited:
23/09/21

AFC Bury are currently second in their league and are playing at Maltby Main this Saturday in the FA Vase (2nd qualifying round) . In the previous round, AFC Bury knocked out Northwich Victoria , who were a Football League Division 2 team back in the 1890's.

Meanwhile, back at Gigg Lane, the "Bury Forever" fans group, which wants to revive the original Bury FC , has put in a bid to purchase the stadium, with the aim of re-entering the Football League pyramid in the 2022/23 season.

Update (25/09/21) - Maltby Main 2 AFC Bury 2
Bury won 4-2 on penalties

Last edited: