If this happens... | Page 3 | Vital Football

If this happens...

Football fans subscribe to Sky Sports.
People who don’t like football are unlikely.
Of the millions who subscribe, a sizeable amount will be attending fans of EFL clubs.
Should that sizeable amount say enough is enough, Sky lose millions.
Should Sky lose millions of subscribers, they will rethink the next bid.
Fans do actually have power.
Ok.

I don't know about the first sentence. Sports fans subscribe to Sky Sports.

Don't know about the 2nd sentence either. There's motor racing, NFL, cricket, darts on Sky Sports too.

I'm sure the 3rd sentence isn't true - millions of lower league fans? If there were millions of fans, lower league football wouldn't be in financial peril (before Covid).

This threat of "if the premiership don't change I will cancel my subscription" is bull. Sky Sports is constantly increasing revenue, putting up rates and increasing channels. Millions of people aren't going to cancel, and they know that.

You are totally missing the point mate.
Football makes up 95% of Sky sports subscriptions.
The others have an audience but are quite niche.
Without football, Sky sports would not exist.
On an average weekly basis, more spectators attend and watch EFL matches live than attend and watch Premier League live.
I will happily concede that the PL clubs have a bigger armchair base.

If I could cancel access to the Premier League only, then I would. However, I enjoy the EFL and other sports like Rugby, Boxing and Cricket and they do tend to move things around from channel to channel.

If I could cancel access to the Premier League only, then I would. However, I enjoy the EFL and other sports like Rugby, Boxing and Cricket and they do tend to move things around from channel to channel.
Question is is that more important to you than your football club and many dozens of others?The choice is yours.

Notice that the Premiership have voted for a £15 pay per view scheme for any matches involving Prem clubs not already televised. So that's nice.

Notice that the Premiership have voted for a £15 pay per view scheme for any matches involving Prem clubs not already televised. So that's nice.

Just shows how warped and fucked up the PL is and the thought process of these clubs. The club's have just spent (according to Dan Walker) £1.2bn on transfers with £200m paid out to agents. In the current climate and state of the country financially and the insecurities of supporters individual welling being, futures and job security, it simply beggars belief a decision like this has been taken IMO.

#Out of touch PL *****.

That’s a very individual decision as to whether a fan is content to pay fifty odd quid for Sky Sports and then another fifteen quid to watch their team live. Some will have also forked out thousands for season tickets as well.
I guess if you want to pay it then fine.
It’s up to you.
You have a choice.

That’s a very individual decision as to whether a fan is content to pay fifty odd quid for Sky Sports and then another fifteen quid to watch their team live. Some will have also forked out thousands for season tickets as well.
I guess if you want to pay it then fine.
It’s up to you.
You have a choice.

I agree with that, but I think this is the start of something much bigger; how long until Liverpool v Man City is on PPV at 11pm on a Saturday night for a worldwide audience (boxing style)? It may never happen but I personally think that’s the way it will go.

Conversely, going back 15 years, there used to be Premiership Plus on Sky which had a PPV or season ticket option, so maybe we’re over dramatising it.

Conversely, going back 15 years, there used to be Premiership Plus on Sky which had a PPV or season ticket option, so maybe we’re over dramatising it.
D'ya think?!

I would implore EPL fans thinking of paying £15 to watch a premiership game with 2 teams they don't support, NOT to do so. I won't be

Further to shotshy's comments on Sky I think this tweet from Leon Legge is interesting. Others will be having similar thoughts and how likely are the armchair lot to cough up £14.95 on top of their subscription. Looks to me like Sky think the armchair lot are as committed as we are.

1602321250737.png

I think you are spot on Nathan.
When Sky Sports started, all of the boxing was shown live. Then the odd big fight was pay per view.
Now two old duffers fighting is pay per view and hardly any of it up to covid was free to Sky subscribers.
The ultimate for them will be a European Super League on worldwide pay per view.

I always thought this summed it up

Bayern Munich season tickets start at £104.

“We could charge more than £104. Let’s say we charged £300. We’d get £2m more in income but what’s £2m to us? In a transfer discussion you argue about that sum for five minutes. But the difference between £104 and £300 is huge for the fan. We do not think the fans are like cows, who you milk. Football has got to be for everybody. That’s the biggest difference between us and England.” – Uli Hoeneß, Bayern Munich president

I've never had Sky and never will as I will never be treated as a milking machine who, at the whims of the owners of PPV, get drained every time they put their prices up to suit their shareholders. You only get mugged when you're willing to keep paying their prices, I just never started.

Be 'free' and content like me.

If we all were 'free', Sky, BT, Virgin, Netflix, Amazon PPV wouldn't exist and footie would be FTA. Their wouldn't be so many overseas players here, the PL wouldn't exist, the EFL or old fashioned FL would still command decent crowds (as it did pre PPV) and we wouldn't know any better re the quality of the football we are served up.

Are things really better these days in this PPV era?

Screenshot taken from my Sky account but you can select to subscribe to specific dedicated sport channels.

1602345149202.png

The complete sports package is £28 with an extra £2 if you want the HD versions. If you want to subscribe to more than 3 channels then it just becomes cheaper to go for the full package.