If this happens... | Vital Football

If this happens...

I think Saudi society is unsustainable in its current form. It needs restructuring to provide gender equality, an independent judicial system, overthrow of the monarchy and abolition of the death penalty. That will do for starters and then this idiot can talk to me about MY football. Ferran Soriano is the mastermind behind Man City's purchase of clubs around the globe to circumvent financial rules.

If you were in any doubt how much genuine support to expect from the big boys this will have blown it away. If football can't resume quickly then we need to adapt. Our football will only continue with much lower salaries, more community involvement and our support. Do we want it that much.

Apart from Premier League B team suggestion, isn’t his analysis spot on?

The EFL isn’t sustainable. Wealthy benefactors in the Championship are gambling on Premier League football. Smaller clubs in League 2 run deficits every year just to be competitive.

Restructuring was always inevitable at some point. COVID is only the trigger that has accelerated some action with the endemic problems with football finances.

I think you're right trashy.

I've pretty well given up on Premier League football and even international football.
I no longer have Sky sports and don't miss it.
I record MOTD but hardly ever get round to watching it.
I record EFL on Quest and fast forward 40 mins to League one and two.
I'd have absolutely zero interest in a B league.

While the EFL is generally not sustainable, neither is the Premier league when it needs to be subsidised by benevolent rich owners.

I remember watching Sunderland til I die on Netflix and the new owner saying that the previous regime had factored in a £30 million loss per season.
WTF ?
How can anyone run a business that way?

I think you're right trashy.

I've pretty well given up on Premier League football and even international football.
I no longer have Sky sports and don't miss it.
I record MOTD but hardly ever get round to watching it.
I record EFL on Quest and fast forward 40 mins to League one and two.
I'd have absolutely zero interest in a B league.

While the EFL is generally not sustainable, neither is the Premier league when it needs to be subsidised by benevolent rich owners.

I remember watching Sunderland til I die on Netflix and the new owner saying that the previous regime had factored in a £30 million loss per season.
WTF ?
How can anyone run a business that way?
About my position too.I feel strongly the only way the Premier league might listen is if a large number of lower league fans stopped paying into their money pot .While they do they are making the problem worse.

A couple of reasonable points obliterated by what this is really all about. Ensuring a tiny elite and f### everyone else.

Like many others I rarely watch Premshit and tbh I'm falling out of love with football.

That f###ing U23 sh#te in the Paintpot was the Trojan horse and L1/2 fell for it.

I'm thoroughly depressed by the state of the game (irrespectve of Covid).
Such a shame as I'm delighted with the progress the Gills are making with a largely cheap young team hungry to play.

The Quakers invented Monopoly to demonstrate that in a totally "free market" we are left with one all powerful force. Ref. the Premshit for football.

A couple of reasonable points obliterated by what this is really all about. Ensuring a tiny elite and f### everyone else.

Like many others I rarely watch Premshit and tbh I'm falling out of love with football.

That f###ing U23 sh#te in the Paintpot was the Trojan horse and L1/2 fell for it.

I'm thoroughly depressed by the state of the game (irrespectve of Covid).
Such a shame as I'm delighted with the progress the Gills are making with a largely cheap young team hungry to play.

The Quakers invented Monopoly to demonstrate that in a totally "free market" we are left with one all powerful force. Ref. the Premshit for football.

The U23 B Teams in the Tin Pot Trophy has hardly been a resounding success.

Let’s face it, the Premier League is a superior product. It might not be to the liking of many people on this board (including me) but it attracts a global audience that the EFL cannot.

If we were talking about music, we wouldn’t expect Spotify to subsidise the manufacturers of Compact Disks - even though a few people might prefer having a physical sleeve rather than a digital file.

Somebody has to make a decision as to whether football is a ‘public good’ - to use economist speak. I suppose there is an argument for government intervention given that football is culturally integral for the UK but would be a difficult sell in these times. Certainly there needs to be some intervention to stop the market failure of clubs gambling on success.

Somebody has to make a decision as to whether football is a ‘public good’ - to use economist speak. I suppose there is an argument for government intervention given that football is culturally integral for the UK but would be a difficult sell in these times.

An important point, Trashbat. One I rather doubt is lost on the current Govt either. They desperately need their Blue Wall in the north maintained and it seems that more politicians are getting in on the dialogue up here than was formerly the case. The PM and his team have been on local media up here a lot more than the previous administration - keen to butter us up, and they even talk about football !

Not saying that southern football clubs are any less vulnerable to financial challenges, but there does seem to be more of a community complexion to EFL clubs up here; more so than i ever sensed when living in Kent & London.

Last edited:

Let’s face it, the Premier League is a superior product. It might not be to the liking of many people on this board (including me) but it attracts a global audience that the EFL cannot.

If we were talking about music, we wouldn’t expect Spotify to subsidise the manufacturers of Compact Disks - even though a few people might prefer having a physical sleeve rather than a digital file.

Somebody has to make a decision as to whether football is a ‘public good’ - to use economist speak. I suppose there is an argument for government intervention given that football is culturally integral for the UK but would be a difficult sell in these times. Certainly there needs to be some intervention to stop the market failure of clubs gambling on success.
There’s no doubt that Premier league is a superior product when compared to the EFL but it’s not my cup of tea.
I think that the issue is whether to retain the football pyramid or not.
The day that the PL broke away was the death knell which will ultimately end in a European super league, so most of the existing PL sides will be in effectively what is now the Championship.
I would not be too surprised if the European league didn’t have relegation, a bit like the NFL.
If you seriously look at the current situation across Europe, where is the competition?
France is all about PSG
Germany is Bayern
Spain is Real or Barca.
The U.K. is currently more diverse but ultimately it’s all about the money and the wealthy clubs dominate.

Maybe it’s time, like a lot of industries, to think outside the box and look for a new future for the sport.
Maybe if the FA grew a pair, things could improve.

Generally sound points but for music the analogy would be keeping small venues and small lables going. Once they go music is just a back catalogue of "legends"

Exactly what would be the outcome if the the Man C. B team competing in the lower leagues is promoted year on year and therefore qualify for the Premiership, it would appear a little odd having two Man C. teams in the same league.!

Exactly what would be the outcome if the the Man C. B team competing in the lower leagues is promoted year on year and therefore qualify for the Premiership, it would appear a little odd having two Man C. teams in the same league.!

I don't know - they have "reserve teams" in Germany https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Bayern_Munich_II and Spain https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Barcelona_B . In Spain, the reserve team must play 1 league below the first team

The Premiershit (sic) is ruining football.

(But also)

The Premiershit (sic) should save football by financially supporting lower league teams.

That seems to be the general opinion on this site

You've made the assumption that the newly structured lower leagues would have promotion, the premiership teams have been trying for some time to become totally elitist by stopping automatic promotion/relegation.

That's right the B team must play at least one league below, but in 79/80 Real Madrid Castilla ( Real's B team ) reached the Spanish Cup Final, where they played Real Madrid and lost 6-1

The Premiershit (sic) is ruining football.

(But also)

The Premiershit (sic) should save football by financially supporting lower league teams.

That seems to be the general opinion on this site

I take that criticism/characterisation but I read it slightly differently.

The Premiership is ruining football and they have cornered so much of the money they could support lower league teams financially. Most posters seem convinced they will not.

There seems to be a growing consensus that football at our level is unsustainable in current form. We are inching towards the compromises required to make it sustainable but time is short and the changes may be bigger than some can countenance. We need to make common cause with the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and beyond tiers of football. That's the sort of future we might sustain.