If there was one realistic signing who we could sign who would you choose and why? | Vital Football

If there was one realistic signing who we could sign who would you choose and why?

There was a player at Walsall, a no-nonsense defender O'Connor. Reckon he'd fit in. Good teams are built from the back and all that. Maybe it's just me but a good question anyway. Anyone else have a suggestion?

I still think Douglas ,released from Ipswich could do a job for us in midfield. He's done it at this level and could be a good motivator and captain for a couple of seasons.

I reckon we should get JT in. May not improve the team but he'd keep all the married players on their toes. :5:

Kojaculation - 23/5/2017 06:07

I still think Douglas ,released from Ipswich could do a job for us in midfield. He's done it at this level and could be a good motivator and captain for a couple of seasons.
If we didn't already have shed loads of midfielders this would be a good call.I really can't see the budget being there unfortunately.

Gabriel Zakuani and Neil Eardley of Northampton both very solid decent defenders and JE has lost two good players. Would strengthen our back line and also get one over on Edinburgh.

Interesting thread, 88, but I think we need a shrink rather than a scout this summer.

Don't know much about the players that have been suggested but after the JET fiasco I think it is more important to find out how much they want to play for the club and whether they are team players.

We need attitudes of past players like Hess Senior and Adam Barrett. Players who will sometimes come off the pitch drenched with sweat rather than with their hairdo intact. Defenders who will be genuinely gutted every time we concede (hopefully not 79 times next season).

Over to you Mr Taylor

Don't know much about what he's done in recent times, but strange to omit that he had a spell on loan with us and was good then,

Lee Collins and Callum Evans 2 hard bastard centre halfs, but both just signed for Forest Green!

The player I would hope we'd go all out to sign is Matt Godden from Stevenage.. 20+ goals in his first season in league two last year.. might not come cheap now, but he's only 25 years old. Local(ish) lad from Canterbury, played under Jamie Day at Ebbsfleet, and according to his wikipedia he signed a 1 year deal last summer, so should be out of contract in June.
According to the Stevenage manager, stikers like Godden are a dying breed. Exactly what we need imo!

chris who - 23/5/2017 07:26

Gabriel Zakuani and Neil Eardley of Northampton both very solid decent defenders and JE has lost two good players. Would strengthen our back line and also get one over on Edinburgh.

Yeah that would really get one over him.. signing 2 players he decided to release. Fcking hell.

If we could then would love to see Michael Bostwick from Peterborough in a Gills shirt. Plays CB these days but can also play in midfield. Natural leader, commands the defence and loves a tackle. Exactly that sort of player that we need right now. Been transfer listed by Posh but that's their policy for all players with only a year left on their contracts.

SteveTreacle - 23/5/2017 08:32

Don't know much about what he's done in recent times, but strange to omit that he had a spell on loan with us and was good then,

He was about 22 when he played for us. He is now in his mid 30s.... Sadly I can see him being a Lomas if he signed.

What about JET from QPR?
They will be looking to loan him out I suspect, and he has that extra bit of quality we lack.
Fired in loads of goals and several assists when he helped Bristol City get out of League 1 a few years ago.
Rumoured to have a bit of an attitude problem, but I'm sure Ade's famed man management skills can get him focused on the job in hand.
Imagine him linking up with Martin on the wing, or playing off Cody in the hole, dictating our attacking play with bundles of flair and skill on show!

:39:

I think Danny Hylton from Luton Town would be a good shout up front if we're signing League 2ers. Has already been linked with Charlton this off season but the Clowns had some pretentious excuse for not wanting a guy who bagged 21 goals and is up for league player of the year.

John_Knee - 23/5/2017 12:56

SteveTreacle - 23/5/2017 08:32

He was about 22 when he played for us. He is now in his mid 30s.... Sadly I can see him being a Lomas if he signed.

Bloody hell, was it really that long ago? Thanks a lot John, you've just made me feel really old.
Didn't he come from Blackburn at the same time as Cleverly (sp)?. Good couple of loans if I remember rightly.