If and just a big if | Vital Football

If and just a big if

bickymon

Vital Squad Member
Say latics do vanish after everything has been flogged off
Would you talking to all tics on here ie leave football for good or start afresh and watch a non league team again personally I'd watch a non league but who would your non league team be

Heart wouldn’t be in it ....couldnt support anyone else ....might take up golf, not that I’ve ever played but will be retired in the next 6/12 months so ...
Alternatively save up the accumulated points from being at the Mrs beck and call every piggin Saturday and use them to fund more Test cricket in the Summer

Overall though Latics has been a cornerstone of my unremarkable existence and losing it is not something that I will easily cope with.

I wouldn't support any other team and would probably lose all but a passing interest in the game.
I've all but stopped watching football, except Latics games, since we were put into administration and find it difficult to summon up any enthusiasm.
Had the stuffing knocked out of me by the powers that be in charge of the game and the club.
Never felt so disillusioned with the state of the game in my 50+ years of watching

I wouldn't support any other team and would probably lose all but a passing interest in the game.
I've all but stopped watching football, except Latics games, since we were put into administration and find it difficult to summon up any enthusiasm.
Had the stuffing knocked out of me by the powers that be in charge of the game and the club.
Never felt so disillusioned with the state of the game in my 50+ years of watching

That is virtually word for word of what I was going to post Kenny. I effing hate football at the moment.

If the worst was to happen i would love to have some involvement with a fans Phoenix club shouldn't even be thinking this way but all this uncertainty sends the mind into thinking we could be playing the likes of daisy hill or Ashton athletic ground sharing at orrells old rugby ground or something on them lines crazy times

I used to love all standards of football.
From the world cups, even if England was not playing, just enjoyed the tournaments throughout.
First division competitive games, the characters involved in the games even the pundits like Jimmy Hill was a pleasure.
The FA Cup final , what a special occasion that was.
Now... maybe because I've turned into a grumpy old man , it's just one big borefest. So predictable and so dull, pass, pass, pass. Dont get me started on VAR and "drinks" breaks.
Nope, not for me unless its latics.
If latics die, then football will die for me.

Well said Lazy, I felt exactly the same with Wanderers last year. I’m afraid the EFL are just a boys club and although we used to call the FA when they ran football, at leat they were trying to do right by everybody. I’m afraid that football today is not the same as we watched all those years ago, the creation of the PL was the death knell for our game. The greed and selfishness of club and player in there has destroyed our game. We can’t unfortunately turn back the clock so we just have to accept where we are but like you guys, if Wanderers had gone pear shaped I couldn’t ever have supported another team and would probably have just given up on it except for England games. Anyway, I’m sure it won’t come to you having to find another club because I’m sure there will be some enterprise out there who sees that value in buying you. I certainly hope so and wish you good luck on it in the next few weeks.

I don't have any interest in football outside of what directly impacts Wigan anymore so if Wigan went bust I'd be completely done with it. And that is before I think about the part the EFL played in our demise - I wouldn't want anything to do with anything football after that.

Well said Lazy, I felt exactly the same with Wanderers last year. I’m afraid the EFL are just a boys club and although we used to call the FA when they ran football, at leat they were trying to do right by everybody. I’m afraid that football today is not the same as we watched all those years ago, the creation of the PL was the death knell for our game. The greed and selfishness of club and player in there has destroyed our game. We can’t unfortunately turn back the clock so we just have to accept where we are but like you guys, if Wanderers had gone pear shaped I couldn’t ever have supported another team and would probably have just given up on it except for England games. Anyway, I’m sure it won’t come to you having to find another club because I’m sure there will be some enterprise out there who sees that value in buying you. I certainly hope so and wish you good luck on it in the next few weeks.
Warren, thankyou that really does mean a lot.

Due to illness and disability, i've not been able to get to watch Latics much
of late, but, i still have the same fondness for the club, as i did in the early 1960's, when i started watching them.

At about this time i was a Man Utd fan, my mates were Liverpool,Everton,
Burnley, Bolton and PNE fans, each week we would take it in turns going to each others team playing at home and getting the Football Pink on the way back to Wigan.

Eventually, we came to our senses and started watching Latics every week,
every programme i had from Man Utd, Liverpool,Everton, Burnley, Bolton and PNE, i gave them away and only kept my Latics progs.

My nephew is a Latics fanatic, so i give him all my old Latics progs,
as i knew they would be in safe hands and looked after.

It still hurts when they lose a match and the thought of Latics folding is unbearable.

Some of my Family and Friends have been Latics season ticket holders for years, and it will be a massive blow to them to watch a team they have watched for years just disappear.

They might watch the odd match on TV,
but it will not be the same as watching Latics,

If Latics do fold, they won't go to watch any other club

i

I used to love all standards of football.
From the world cups, even if England was not playing, just enjoyed the tournaments throughout.
First division competitive games, the characters involved in the games even the pundits like Jimmy Hill was a pleasure.
The FA Cup final , what a special occasion that was.
Now... maybe because I've turned into a grumpy old man , it's just one big bore fest. So predictable and so dull, pass, pass, pass. Don't get me started on VAR and "drinks" breaks.
Nope, not for me unless its latics.
If latics die, then football will die for me.

Crazy how so many people feel the same all so fell out of love with football. Cup final day was so special in the 60/70s Cant bring myself to watch games on Sky any more only for cricket I'd dump it.
If we get liquidated I hope we can start WIGAN ATHLETICO and you younger guys and girls can bring us back one day. Sadly I'll be dead and gone by then, but we can't let football die in Wigan

Last edited:
I couldn’t directly support another club, my heart wouldn’t be in it. I’d spend my spare time watching Lancs cricket more often especially away from home. Might even find a few football matches to take in abroad in Europe, maybe I’ll fall in love all over again. But in this country I’m done.

Last edited:
If Wigan Athletic go bang then thats me done with football, won't even watch it on TV.

Very close to sticking two fingers up to the game i've loved, playing, coaching , and watching since i was 4 years old.

The whole shabang is rotten to the core!

Same here, but I'll try and get involved with grass roots football in some way. It's still a great game, but it's run by greedy fools.

I was born in Chorley and so they have long been my 2nd team after Latics and so would go watch them more I suppose.

If there was an AFC Wigan in non-league then would go support them too but I have no love for any other league or prem team so would completely lose interest in that.

Would still follow England too of course, though none of it would quite be the same.