If and just a big if | Page 2 | Vital Football

If and just a big if

Latics go and I'm done with football with the exception of England games.
I will spend my time and money watching supporting Wigan Warriors - cracking little club 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

If Latics went under and there wasn't a phoenix club, I'd end up supporting Leicester. My old man is originally from Leicester and the Foxes are still his first love even though he comes to Latics games. Wouldn't get there all that often though. Right ballache of a place to get to.

I'd support a non-league Wigan club if one appeared though. Couldn't manage without football... I'd have to interact with the missus.

It was watching the likes of Harry Lyon, Alan Halsall,Bert LLewellyn et al at Springfield Park back in the sixties that began my love affair with Wigan Athletic.
If the worst was to happen then that would be me finished with football. However I am still hanging on to any glimmer of hope because I want to continue supporting the biggest little club in the world.

I’m don’t understand how you can swap loyalties so I’m not sure you can support another club, certainly not with any passion. However if my little lad decides he wants to go to games then clearly I’d have go. If just enjoy watching the football without being stressed about the result. However I couldn’t imagine having to take him to some local rivals, such as Bowton or knob end. I just don’t think I could do it, would break my heart. I don’t want him supporting Liverpool or Manure either. Not a chance. Think I’d take him to city and bore him senseless about how a now defunct club once turned ‘em over in a cup final. It’s very sad we have to contemplate such decisions.

Already have little-to-no interest in anything beyond Wigan anyway, so life without football wouldn't be too daunting a prospect for me.
If Wigan dies - especially with the way in which the EFL have been complicit in our demise - I'd very comfortably not watch another game of League football ever again. Unless another Wigan club makes it back there, that is.

I'd certainly give up watching football, it's nothing without wigan. The money I'd save on not buying season tickets I'd use to buy a flight to Hong Kong!🤬

Such a depressing thought in the thread title & the distinct possibility of not having our club to support... I for one would be done with football despite the absolute joyous time Latics have gave me not to mention the despairing moments along the way. Football in my eyes would be dead as I very much doubt I'd be able to experience the feeling ive had in belonging to 'little Wigan' in another club. Nobody outside of our little club gives a flying f@ck about us, wether we survive, slowly linger on until we collapse or god forbid are forced into liquidation....no one gives a toss, not those corrupt bastards up in EFL towers, them twats over in HK, the administrators or even fellow clubs. As HindleyM rightly put look after only ourselves cos that's all other clubs are doing.....football imo is slowly dying and at the risk of repeating myself again...the authorities will do bugger all until it happens to one of the big 4.....oh how I wish to see the shitstorm that would produce.....
So in essence IF wigan no longer have a football club then football is over for me.

Surely if the likes of Bury, Wimbledon, Newport, Aldershot, Darlington, Hereford & co can can start phoenix clubs then we should be able to??
Yes it wouldn't be Wigan Athletic as such & we wouldn't be getting to visit the likes of Old Trafford, Highbury, Anfield, etc.. for some time (if ever) but it would be our club, run by us, for us
That'd do for me

Surely if the likes of Bury, Wimbledon, Newport, Aldershot, Darlington, Hereford & co can can start phoenix clubs then we should be able to??
Yes it wouldn't be Wigan Athletic as such & we wouldn't be getting to visit the likes of Old Trafford, Highbury, Anfield, etc.. for some time (if ever) but it would be our club, run by us, for us
That'd do for me

I think a phoenix club would be the best way forward for the Wigan based supporters. Unfortunately it's something I'd have to watch from afar and couldn't really get involved in, it's expensive and hard enough to watch latics for me as it is.

I would never be able to support another side. So instead I'd become a bone fide glory hunter. I'd choose a team in the conference and then support them until they were beaten and then switch to the victors and so on. No stress as I'd always be on the winning side. See how many years it would take me to be a Liverpool/Man united fan or indeed if I could reach the premier league before new latics? Fully expecting to work my way up to the championship before being knocked out of the cup by a national League side

I think a phoenix club would be the best way forward for the Wigan based supporters. Unfortunately it's something I'd have to watch from afar and couldn't really get involved in, it's expensive and hard enough to watch latics for me as it is.

I would never be able to support another side. So instead I'd become a bone fide glory hunter. I'd choose a team in the conference and then support them until they were beaten and then switch to the victors and so on. No stress as I'd always be on the winning side. See how many years it would take me to be a Liverpool/Man united fan or indeed if I could reach the premier league before new latics? Fully expecting to work my way up to the championship before being knocked out of the cup by a national League side

Living down south myself, it's not a team that I'd get to see much - until they got to the National Conference & played at Aldershot anyway!!
They'd still be my team though & I'd go when I was up north & help through club merchandise

In the meantime I'll be watching my local non league team like I have been for the last 3 years - they play at the equivalent of North West Counties & we certainly don't pay £2k signing on fees. :eek: They get a kit bag & a tracksuit.
The biggest budget that I've heard for our level was about £1.2k-£1.5k a week for the whole squad - both completely reliant on a sponsors/directors investment & (from speaking to one of them) constantly bricking it that that money will get withdrawn

Living down south myself, it's not a team that I'd get to see much - until they got to the National Conference & played at Aldershot anyway!!
They'd still be my team though & I'd go when I was up north & help through club merchandise

In the meantime I'll be watching my local non league team like I have been for the last 3 years - they play at the equivalent of North West Counties & we certainly don't pay £2k signing on fees. :eek: They get a kit bag & a tracksuit.
The biggest budget that I've heard for our level was about £1.2k-£1.5k a week for the whole squad - both completely reliant on a sponsors/directors investment & (from speaking to one of them) constantly bricking it that that money will get withdrawn

I've no idea what the weekly sums are. I believe the paid lads to be on 40-120 a game with some (I heard 3) were getting big signing on bonuses. I don't really understand what the long term plan is to be honest. I don't think there's much real scope for expansion so it seems like a waste of money to me

Just wandered if the club are liquidated will it also mean that Vital Wigan will also close its doors? As it is a little community in its self I'm sure there are lots of posters who would miss the comeradery even if we do have our moments from time to time

I've no idea what the weekly sums are. I believe the paid lads to be on 40-120 a game with some (I heard 3) were getting big signing on bonuses. I don't really understand what the long term plan is to be honest. I don't think there's much real scope for expansion so it seems like a waste of money to me

There was a club at our level who offered a prolific striker of ours £1200 signing on fee, £150 a game & a tenner a goal, and he wasn't the only one they offered those sorts of terms to
Their backer skidaddled when a Conference opportunity came his way & this club just got rid of virtually all their players - think it was brown envelopes time rather than formal contracts.

It's insane, I've seen clubs in the League of Wales do it & they just end up going belly up

There was a club at our level who offered a prolific striker of ours £1200 signing on fee, £150 a game & a tenner a goal, and he wasn't the only one they offered those sorts of terms to
Their backer skidaddled when a Conference opportunity came his way & this club just got rid of virtually all their players - think it was brown envelopes time rather than formal contracts.

It's insane, I've seen clubs in the League of Wales do it & they just end up going belly up

Too many football clubs don't abide by the basic business principle of ensuring that income at least is equal to expenditure on an on going basis. Goodness knows how so many survive. The bad example of the Premier League seems to occlude all sense of pragmatic logic at all levels of the game.