IEC | Page 3 | Vital Football

IEC

Cheers for the responses Pon, King and Soccerates.
So the general consensus is that we'll be fine as long as enough of our signings progress and therefore increase in value and we make a profit on them. I'd say this is a gamble, but a calculated one and I'd agree that the players appear (on paper) to have that potential, so excellent recruitment.
I guess my other concern is the same as AliLatics, are IEC here for the long haul. Obviously I've no idea, I hope they are, or at least if they aren't, that when they walk away they clear any outstanding debt first and leave us solvent.

I think the early evidence is from the types of staff the club have looked to hire - data analyst positions, scouting with an emphasis on lower league/non league, the decision to revamp the Soccerdome and various other commercial projects, even down to the big screen. I couldn't see IEC doing all that and then pulling the plug.

They do want promotion to the Premier League and while this current squad might be some way off that, all the foundations are in place to make that happen. I can't comment too much on our sponsors, as we don't know for sure how much they've offered us, but they're very significant players in the Asian gambling market, which is huge, so there must be quite a bit of cash coming in from that exposure.

I do think Jonathan Jackson deserves some credit for his work and that could be overlooked; the Dan Burn deal, Yanic Wildschut and Will Grigg's transfers should really be attributed to him. All three haven't had the success they had with us, that's for sure, yet at the time of sale were probably divisive, yet we aren't any worse off for not having them and that money (fingers crossed) looks to be money well spent.

What we all need to get our head around is that sometimes we are going to sell are best players to fund the future and try and bring our youngsters through and flog them as well .
So when we do no shouting ( no bloody ambition Wigan )
This is the business modal IEC are working on and so far they have put there money were there mouth is to start the ball rolling ..

So the general consensus is that we'll be fine as long as enough of our signings progress and therefore increase in value and we make a profit on them. I'd say this is a gamble, but a calculated one and I'd agree that the players appear (on paper) to have that potential, so excellent recruitment.
I guess my other concern is the same as AliLatics, are IEC here for the long haul. Obviously I've no idea, I hope they are, or at least if they aren't, that when they walk away they clear any outstanding debt first and leave us solvent.

I think unless your owner is a die hard life long fan with more money than sense every club is in that same boat.

If IEC keep spending money and get no returns or signs of progress for a long period of time they will likely look to sell us and cut their loses. But they seem to have a good approach and plan so hopefully it will work as IEC can't make money unless we are successful and if we fail they are likely going to lose a lot of money so they've got huge incentive to get it right.

I think our fates are intertwined and unlike other clubs who stick some random business man in charge who doesn't have a fundamental understanding of running a football club - I think it's been a Godsend to keep Jackson and bring in Joe for all his football experience as a manager and running Everton youth set up and Darren Royle for his experience on the business side of football. IEC have largely been 'angle investors' from a fan perspective which is the dream scenario for any club.

I take your personal experience as fact

He did seem a bit of a rogue from the terraces, that does not preclude him from being human

What about the time when we were owned by southern financiers

I knew a couple of Latics fans that worked for his company, they wouldn't attend the matches while he was in charge, make of that what you will.

Spot on KDZ. They aren't ego trippers like Vincent Tan and owners like that who treat their clubs like a toy and love nothing more than getting their mugs plastered all over any rag they can.

IEC are invested in the club as an actual business proposition, so it's completely in their interests to get it right. Our success is their success, and as you say, Jackson and the Royles have ample knowledge and expertise to make that happen.

My thots to Arthur....are they in it for the long haul. What with the goings on at Bury n Bolton it's there for all to see. I'm sure there are plenty of clubs teetering on the edge of survival. Even the likes of Chelsea / City etc if their main provider decides they're bored n pull out it's a huge risk especially given the constant / incessant transfer fees & wages to overrated players.

I knew a couple of Latics fans that worked for his company, they wouldn't attend the matches while he was in charge, make of that what you will.
So they missed the best day ever due this petty behaviour did they?
And do they go again now?

Oh right, well that makes sense. I didn’t read back enough obviously.
Sheesh, I need to have look every hour to keep up :rofl:
I don’t think so....

Oh right, well that makes sense. I didn’t read back enough obviously.
Sheesh, I need to have look every hour to keep up :rofl:
I don’t think so....

Past owners are like tattoos...some are great but some are shit. But they are as important as one another on life's journey. DW was the best owner we ever had despite being a tight bugger with his employees. This is from the wife who worked on a till at Whelans near the old bus station so blame her.

I think he was referring to Kenyon. Not Whelan.
Yes deffo Kenyon.
My view, anyone suggesting moving to Skelm was either certifiably insane or had a money making wheeze(for himself) planned.
Wasn't Hamilton and possibly Kenyon on a percentage of players outgoing transfer fees?

IEC just confirmed a new shorts sponsor, and this last week or so a new in house version of iFollow and a Latics App for mobile.

All small things in a lot of ways but all positive steps in making the club a little more cash and becoming a more slick and proffesional outfit.

Really pleased with IEC so far, they have felt like they are a modernising touch - not so revolutionising anything but evolving the club. It does feel IEC have been very proactive in addressing many of the long standing issues since they've arrived - and while we are obviously eternally grateful to the Whelan family it does feel like a fresh set of ideas coming into the club has been very positive so far.

He gets a lot of stick for not telling us what is happening but Darren Royle is I believe the driving force behind most of these improvements. He spent a few months observing how the club was run during the protracted takeover and seems to have used that time well in that he has understood what needs improving and has implemented a lot of things to achieve that. No doubt there are many more things that can be improved, but need time and money so will be planned for future.

All these little things IEC are improving in Latics infrastructure are probably what Uncle Dave was alluding to when he said IEC could take Latics that step further than he could.
I don't think there's any doubt he left us in safe hands. Cheers Dave (y).

All these little things IEC are improving in Latics infrastructure are probably what Uncle Dave was alluding to when he said IEC could take Latics that step further than he could.
I don't think there's any doubt he left us in safe hands. Cheers Dave (y).

I always got the impression Whelan and Sharpe were big vision people and not really as into in the finer details - they seemed to be very hands on in football matter and not so much in the rest of the business.

While IEC seem a lot more into the infrastructure and nuts and bolts of running the club and seem quite hands off the football side of things.

It's a completely different mentality and one I think the club is clearly benefitting from. It feels like we are laying solid foundations for future success.