IEC Changes | Page 4 | Vital Football

IEC Changes

Agree totally bickymon, when it's revealed who is taking the remaining 49% we should get the direction we are going in! Personally couldn't see him transferring ownership if there wasn't money coming in from this new source! Intriguing possibilities!
Interesting timing. The due diligence period will be up before Christmas so you would hope the new ownership will be in place for the January window.

They might have just realised what they really have bought. And the penny as dropped. We never see. Them really at any matches

Do you not think it would be good to see. Some one at matches. Or are you happy with the crap being put out every week
So if one of them came to a game it would stop the crap? If only it was that simple!

Yes they would sack this clown of a manager before it’s to late or we will find out next season when they pull out when we go down
So you quite literally don't think they watch any of the matches? Longshot but do you not think they may get the in house coverage transmitted to wherever they are at the time?

So you quite literally don't think they watch any of the matches? Longshot but do you not think they may get the in house coverage transmitted to wherever they are at the time?
Your correct I dont think they do or your buddy Cook would be well gone also they would be asking why. The crowds dropping

To be fair I imagine IEC see us as a business more than a sporting team so I do think there is a good chance they don't watch us and just get updates from Royal who we know has been assigned to run the club on their behalf.

To be honest I'm not that bothered as their business interests to consistently make money out of football can only really happen if we are successful in player trading and promotion - so our interests align. The only problem we have is if their plans dont work and they get fed up and want out at that point we will have issues.

If I had a time machine I would put Dave Whelan in it and take him back to 40 years old...that way we would have a further 40 years of ownership from a man who loves us. When you mention these current lot and their business expectations my blood runs cold. It will not end well because we just aren't a going concern to anybody looking at making a profit.

God bless DW for giving us the best days of our sporting life. It's now over.

PS...thinking about it I might bung the wife in the time machine as well and get her back to 21.

Last edited:
If I had a time machine I would put Dave Whelan in it and take him back to 40 years old...that way we would have a further 40 years of ownership from a man who loves us. When you mention these current lot and their business expectations my blood runs cold. It will not end well because we just aren't a going concern to anybody looking at making a profit.

Football is changing unless you are a multi billionaire you have to make profit to keep yourself afloat. The days of fans done good buying their boyhood club and bankrolling them from their personal fortune has gone. The initial investment to buy a club is so heavy and the cost of running a club on a weekly basis is probably going to be a net loss for any team looking to carry a decent wage bill at this level. It's the player sales that keep you in the black but if you can't get those in an owner will be clobbered.

Look at the Championship this year we were the 2nd biggest net spenders at about 8m yet the 7th biggest gross spenders. The money game is changing. Many teams in the league made profit in player trading as Prem clubs pay such huge amounts for Championship players. If you can find a gem and they excel at this level you can sell for 15-20m if you are lucky. So there is a viable path for clubs to be profitable if they can get their recruitment right and more and more clubs appear to be able to do that. But being able to afford to cover costs if you can't get the sales to balance the books is what will force many potential owners to stay clear.

Our owners have been to matches at home and I believe away. Perhaps not every game. As directors and owners we will be discussed at board meetings as is the norm with all companies/businesses. They are not stupid people as you try to make out. So enjoy being a fan of Wigan Athletic AND let the bosses worry and plan the future as always happened. Even Dave Whelan was called and moaned about most of the time despite our achievements.

PS...thinking about it I might bung the wife in the time machine as well and get her back to 21.

You can take me back to 1979 as well - I've got a little bet that I want to place on a certain fourth division club to win the FA Cup in 2013 - decent odds so enough for me to buy the club in 2018.

A young rich determined Dave Whelan I think would be everyone’s dream owner. But the man has served his time and his money has given us lifelong memories. We’ll be forever grateful. If it does go tits up with IEC, I just hope Stanley Choi is a persuasive man because we’ll need one of his mega rich mates to buy us out.

We can’t all hit the jackpot like Wolves and Leicester have. We’ve already been lucky enough to hit it once with Dave, I suspect we may have used up all our luck in one fell swoop. But let’s see, plenty of time yet to judge IEC both on and off the pitch.

A young rich determined Dave Whelan I think would be everyone’s dream owner. But the man has served his time and his money has given us lifelong memories. We’ll be forever grateful. If it does go tits up with IEC, I just hope Stanley Choi is a persuasive man because we’ll need one of his mega rich mates to buy us out.

We can’t all hit the jackpot like Wolves and Leicester have. We’ve already been lucky enough to hit it once with Dave, I suspect we may have used up all our luck in one fell swoop. But let’s see, plenty of time yet to judge IEC both on and off the pitch.

Whelan wasnt well liked by all i remember. War chest... Selling players appointing some knobs as managers

But history does re write its self

The focus on IEC and their finances was always a red herring. As a company they never had the means to fund a Championship club. Those behind IEC, ie Choi, we’ll just have to see. Likewise for whoever else takes up the 49% of shares.

Other clubs have bigger gates and more commercial potential. But they would also cost massively more to purchase. Not to mention the weekly wages & running costs many Championship club’s shoulder.

If the ultimate goal is the Premier League. And that is achieved, all the above points re. attendances, commercial income etc., go out of the window. TV money dominates and even we can average 20k+ at that level.

If on the other hand they want to run a self-sustainable club at Championship level. We already have the stadium and hospitality capacity in place. Likewise, training facilities are in place to develop our own players. The only investment needed are indoor facilities to reach Category 2.

I’ve been down on the club recently and don’t think Cook is the right man to take us forward. But these off-field changes do give me hope we are looking to improve & progress. Maybe one of the first indications of this will be a shake-up of the management staff. Unincumbered by the need to report every move to the HK Stock Exchange. That of course is if results don’t see a much needed upturn.